Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Border Patrol in the 1950's had about as much or more power as any other agency. it could co anyplace except on ta private, occupied residence.
except there we couln't get a search warrant so we merey went to a judge and were made a temp bullding inspector and could then pick up an illegal maid etc. Now om our territory was the King Ranch, a place that could be called a state. rather than a ranch. We had very very friendly relations, we would enter to check their stock watering tanks for Wets, many of whom were close to death crossing the vast lands of the King ranch, we were credited with saving many lives. Well they had a change of authority, and decided they would show us who was in authority and so when one of our jeeps was checking out a water tank they decided to lock the gate. When our patrol had finnished their work and was ready to leave they found all the access roads chained with large locks. Of course that was easily taken careof, with a couple shoys. They continued replacing locks and we continued shooting them off. This continued for some time, then they commenced becoming friendly again, besides on some of the inner pastures, due to poor maintenance, the separation was by a sagging gate held in place by the locks. After a bit they commenced giving us a huge bunch of keysn, and everything was friendly once more. . They had many expert artesians at the ranch. One of them made my Border Patrol holster. It was of 3/8 steer hide. With this I was able to achieve 1/2 to 3/8 of a second draw and hit a silhouette target at 15 ft. I was also sure of a hit to 4 - 500 yards ( I considdered the mastery of a pistol as a tool of a trade.) It was a Hi-way patrol of one of the early .357 with a fout inch barrel and a Keith long range front sight.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
e keith long range.jpg

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
The Border Patrol in the 1950's had about as much or more power as any other agency. it could co anyplace except on ta private, occupied residence.
except there we couln't get a search warrant so we merey went to a judge and were made a temp bullding inspector and could then pick up an illegal maid etc. Now om our territory was the King Ranch, a place that could be called a state. rather than a ranch. We had very very friendly relations, we would enter to check their stock watering tanks for Wets, many of whom were close to death crossing the vast lands of the King ranch, we were credited with saving many lives. Well they had a change of authority, and decided they would show us who was in authority and so when one of our jeeps was checking out a water tank they decided to lock the gate. When our patrol had finnished their work and was ready to leave they found all the access roads chained with large locks. Of course that was easily taken careof, with a couple shoys. They continued replacing locks and we continued shooting them off. This continued for some time, then they commenced becoming friendly again, besides on some of the inner pastures, due to poor maintenance, the separation was by a sagging gate held in place by the locks. After a bit they commenced giving us a huge bunch of keysn, and everything was friendly once more. . They had many expert artesians at the ranch. One of them made my Border Patrol holster. It was of 3/8 steer hide. With this I was able to achieve 1/2 to 3/8 of a second draw and hit a silhouette target at 15 ft. I was also sure of a hit to 4 - 500 yards ( I considdered the mastery of a pistol as a tool of a trade.) It was a Hi-way patrol of one of the early .357 with a fout inch barrel and a Keith long range front sight.

Small world we live in - my father in law worked on the King ranch for a while. Unfortunately I can't even remember the years he had said. He said much the same words you did - that ranch was almost like its own little state. Here is an article on it for those unfamiliar with what you are referring to - it was a HUGE ranch

https://aoghs.org/oil-almanac/king-ranch-oil/

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,,,,,,,,,Rev, that is a Keith type front sight. You placed your rear sight on the bar that corresponded with the range that you were shooting.I would say offhand that the sight shown was 300 meters.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Doc, after years of almost daily posting I am scratching, but I'll try. my friend.

Fair is fair - everyone ought to be sharing some stories here, it should not be up to Don Jose alone or just a couple of people. Come on amigos and amigas post some of your adventures OR mis-adventures.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did I ever tell you how I was almost recruited to fly PBY-5a from yucatan to Cuba for Fidel

Not that I recall; so please share that with us.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi peeps, I am reduced to personal nativities to friends. If you don't mind reprints of past stories to friends, here is a typical one. iiI don't know if you met or have Been told about the old Col. from villas group, he headed an Ejido on the road th the dam, " the Divison del Norte". I was walking in the Plaza preparing for my date with 'la Bertie, when I saw the Col sitting on a bench, looking very dejected, so I, thinking to cheer him up a bit, I approached him,and standing very erect, for which I was known to be, then, snapped to attention, gave him my best USAF salute, and said " Teniente Curry a su servicio",then,indicating the Bench, said " permiso a accompar Usted" He slowly unwound , stood up to attention, returned my salute and said "of course Tienente" As usual between veterans, we soon were into war stories. He told me, how on one campaign he had ben shot in the knee. I then told him how I had been hit in the same knee by fragments from a Japanese 20 mm. So without further ado, we promptly pulled up our right pants leg and commenced to compare knees, to the delight of strollers on the Plaza. After a short while he seemed to have regained his spirit , stood up, and bidding "adios" went off to the Palacio. where he easily accomplished his mission this time, I found out that our little interchange had been witnessed by the clerks who were duly impressed that an American officer had acknowledged his rank and so gave him some of the courtesies that his rank deserved, and so listened to him.. Such was life in Old Mexico in the fifties.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
hi peeps, I am reduced to personal nativities to friends. If you don't mind reprints of past stories to friends, here is a typical one. iiI don't know if you met or have Been told about the old Col. from villas group, he headed an Ejido on the road th the dam, " the Divison del Norte". I was walking in the Plaza preparing for my date with 'la Bertie, when I saw the Col sitting on a bench, looking very dejected, so I, thinking to cheer him up a bit, I approached him,and standing very erect, for which I was known to be, then, snapped to attention, gave him my best USAF salute, and said " Teniente Curry a su servicio",then,indicating the Bench, said " permiso a accompar Usted" He slowly unwound , stood up to attention, returned my salute and said "of course Tienente" As usual between veterans, we soon were into war stories. He told me, how on one campaign he had ben shot in the knee. I then told him how I had been hit in the same knee by fragments from a Japanese 20 mm. So without further ado, we promptly pulled up our right pants leg and commenced to compare knees, to the delight of strollers on the Plaza. After a short while he seemed to have regained his spirit , stood up, and bidding "adios" went off to the Palacio. where he easily accomplished his mission this time, I found out that our little interchange had been witnessed by the clerks who were duly impressed that an American officer had acknowledged his rank and so gave him some of the courtesies that his rank deserved, and so listened to him.. Such was life in Old Mexico in the fifties.

Another great post compadre!

I don't want to derail the topic but would like to ask you something. You are among the few still alive that were around on December 7th, 1941. What can you remember about that day? Unfortunately millions of Americans got to experience something similar on September 11, 2001, but I have never asked you about that fateful day back in '41. Thank you for your service to our country and thanks in advance;

Sock coffee anyone?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :icon_study: :happy1: :occasion14:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which cuppa coffee is mine, Oro? Being only 17 at the time, I experienced a thrill of anticipation, never saw a dead man, but imagined the glory of being wounded , without the pain, sorta like watching a "Beu Geste" movie, never faced up to the true meaning of death until a short time later at Guadalcanal.so that shows how naive We were . I immediately called my parents to cancel their visit. A number of my classmates were at the Pearl Harbor fiasco, I wasn't, I was sent to the Nordan Bombsight and Bombardier school.

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess everyone out there has heard
About how thankful I am for our Vets and how I feel about our Vietnam’s
Vets miserable [emoji37] home coming.

But, today I hit a triple RBI !

Three of them together. Only one had any thing on to make me notice. I said to other ones ‘excuse me but I’m trying to catch the fella that had the shirt with Vietnam on it ‘ they were prompt to let me know that they were all together, with a life long brotherhood with each other due to their experiences there.

I promptly shook their hands
And told them “Thank you for their service ”!

Then came the surprisingly
Difficult part, I started to tell them “Welcome home “,I started out normally, but after seeing the look on their faces, each word became more difficult than the last.

They were beaming, they stood a little taller.

It made their day and their
Reactions to our short
Conversation made my day.

I urge everyone to seek out our heroes and tell them thank you.
But step and and find out if they served in Vietnam, and tell them
Welcome home.

To many of them, it
Means the world is
A little bit better than it was,just a few ago.

#/;0}>~

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Kanaci, I didn't fly the DC-3 until later. Here is my Airforce class, I am the runt, third from the left, front row. I would have loved flying the unholy trio. Incidentaly, The New Zealand fire dept performed a Haka dance in memory of their brethren] that were lost in the 9-11 fiasco. image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 302

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Don Jose

This DC-3 training flight clip might bring back memories of your training back then.

For me growing up in New Guinea the dc-3 was always a reassuring sound echoing off the mountains. My first flight ever was in them. They had a distinctive sound with their radial piston engines that no other aircraft can match. A real beast no wonder pilots gave pet names to them.

Fight planes of WW2 was glamorous but the unsung hero was the DC-3. to civilian and grunts around the world they brought hope.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the most significant event of WWII in the Pacific?
Rick Clark
Rick Clark, Bachelor Military History and Wars , M:idea, School of Film & Media Studies, Ngee Ann Polytechnic (1968)
Answered May 19
The Battle for Guadalcanal is the most significant. According to the Japanese they knew the war was lost after they lost the island. After that battle is was just a matter of “island hopping.” The Japanese, after inflicting the worst loss the U.S. Navy has ever suffered in a battle, were defeated. and lost the naval battle. The battle for the island was over by February 1, 1943, just 14 months after the war started. Yamamoto said that Japan must achieve their aims within one year or they would loose the war.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about as far as I will go into war experiencies, Millions of others have had far worse experiencies

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about as far as I will go into war experiencies, Millions of others have had far worse experiencies

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread