misnamed headhunter pirate is no old salt

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
well folks after owning this machine for 2 years i finally got it out on a salt location.

the place i bought it from is in fla and should know better than recommending this for water hunting local OCEAN i even told them i wanted it for salt water

i got excited about water hunting on vaca here after meeting several folk who shared their finds and excitment with me

bought it and had to leave w/o trying it in the salt. oh well i thought ill try it on the freshwater
and practice up. be ready to salt hunt when i get down again.

having a name like the pirate i thought sure it would do fine in salt BIG MISTAKE.

this has been a fun machine turns out to be great for competition hunts great fresh water hunter
and if its raining.
does stink at wet salt hunting like all vlfs i guess. mucho chatter where u would never catch any
low signals do ur own research dont trust dea;er recommendations

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The .........Minelab Sovereign ....... Is a VLF and runs great no chatter in wet sand & in the salt water .. the same with the......... Minelab Excalibur.......that is also a VLF so it is not the same with all VLF detectors............

Attachments

• minelab_sovereigngt_3m.jpg
    minelab_sovereigngt_3m.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 484
  • minelab_excalibur_1f.jpg
    minelab_excalibur_1f.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 417

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've heard the Excalibur is a great salt machine. no experience with it myself (no ocean in Ks.)
I know the people that post that have them, love them

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Sovereign GTs, one is customed waterproofed to be used in the surf, and 2 Excals, one with a WOT coil in my detector arsonel, they are both great machines....If you want to go in to the surf get the Excal. Keep your eye open for a good used one, and use the money you save on a good beach scoop, a good beach scoop will set you back $150-$200

miamidave

Aug 23, 2008
hollywood
Detector(s) used
recon pro
my son-inlaw has one
turn the sensitivity down and its usable here in miami
my big gun is an old garrett AT3 no complaints about VLF from me

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
miamidave said:
my son-inlaw has one
turn the sensitivity down and its usable here in miami
my big gun is an old garrett AT3 no complaints about VLF from me
u must be thinking of the pirate PRO.

the regular pirate doesnt have a sens switch.

only volume and disc.

my tesoro silver u max only has 2 knobs.

on/off sens and disc

it works great

i wish the detector pro folks had done that if they

were wanting to get by with only 2 knobs.

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
The .........Minelab Sovereign ....... Is a VLF and runs great no chatter in wet sand & in the salt water .. the same with the......... Minelab Excalibur.......that is also a VLF so it is not the same with all VLF detectors............
sweet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread