Mississippi 5 Cent Tax Token

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Researched a site, located it, went to the Courthouse yesterday and got the owners name. Today I called him and left a message with my name and number, and about an hour later I got a call back. I thanked him for returning my call, gave him my name and reason for calling. Long story short, got permission for the rest of the month, super nice guy!

It was already almost 1:30 when I spoke with him, and thought I'd just wait to go another day, but since it's close, and I was excited about getting permission, I grabbed the DeLeon and took off.

Spent about 3 hours there, and found the Token early on. I thought it may have just been a fender washer until I got home and cleaned it up some. I was happy to have snagged a "keeper" today. I'm taking the Vaquero and spending most of the day Thursday back there. I'm hoping there's more there to be found, I pretty much like coin-shooting, so hoping to find at least a couple. Site had a log cabin on it, the current owner had it removed. Looks like there was a little "smearing" done with a 'dozer, and the site's overgrown, but I ain't complaining :laughing7:

I didn't spend much time digging lower signals, since it was a short day. I did find some lamp parts and harmonica reed. I'll be digging more when I go back with the Vaq.

Upvote 12

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The token is in darn good shape.nice find!looks like you have quite the place to hunt there.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be some sweet relics there. Keep us posted.

HH, Relic Nut

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro,Garrett At MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice 5 mil tax token and harmonica reed...good finds[emoji106]

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BEAUTIFUL TOKEN ...

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all! Got things all ready to spend the day back there tomorrow. Being as the house was somewhat semi-recently demolished (I'd learned from speaking with the owner), I looked on Google Earth, went back to 1991, and there it was. So, I scaled it out and will now be able to get to the exact spot it sat. The pecan grove is still standing too, I was in it yesterday. 8-)

Weather is supposed to be real nice tomorrow too.

Pic of house which was there in the 1840's:
ScreenHunter_98 Jan. 12 19.08.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as chrisdigs stated, it's 5 mils (not 5 cents). a mil is 1/10th of a cent. I find depression era tax tokens here quite often. most are aluminum, so it's hard to find them in good shape any more.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
as chrisdigs stated, it's 5 mils (not 5 cents). a mil is 1/10th of a cent. I find depression era tax tokens here quite often. most are aluminum, so it's hard to find them in good shape any more.

Didn't even catch that, thanks! First one (tax token) I've ever found, and just assumed it was "cents".

This was my 2nd senior moment in 3 days, I'm doomed. :sadsmiley:

ETA: Found a 3 year old post by Idahotokens which narrowed down the year to 1936-41.

Per Schimmel's U.S. State-Issued Sales Tax Tokens, Mississippi issued three different series of tax tokens. The ones used 1936-41 were aluminum for the 1 mill denomination and brass for the 5 mill. Yours are the former. Then in 1942 they issued white fiber and grey fiber 1 mill and red-brown fiber 5 mill tokens. Finally the 1943-52 series was off-white plastic and snow white plastic 1 mill and blue plastic 5 mills.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I really want to find a 5 mil tax token. It's hard to find, so Congratz! I have found a handful of 1 mil tax tokens and a friend found a 5 mil in Louisiana, but so far the 5 has eluded my coil.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks all! Got things all ready to spend the day back there tomorrow. Being as the house was somewhat semi-recently demolished (I'd learned from speaking with the owner), I looked on Google Earth, went back to 1991, and there it was. So, I scaled it out and will now be able to get to the exact spot it sat. The pecan grove is still standing too, I was in it yesterday. 8-)

Weather is supposed to be real nice tomorrow too.
Pic of house which was there in the 1840's:
Nice Token. Those 5 mils seem to be a lot more rare than the 1 mils.

That is a cool pic of that old house. We recently hunted a 1840s homestead and dug a total of 5 seated half dimes, 1 capped bust half dime, a half real, a seated dime, and some 1820's-40s era military buttons.. It was a great site. Wanting to go back there, but the finds have been slim on our last couple attempts.
After seeing that pic I'm thinking there has to be some silver in there waiting on ya.

Tax tokens are pretty common down here. Ive probably dug over 15 1 mil MS,AL and LA tokens, but only two 5 mils and they were both MS.
The 2 I have seem to be made out of brass or a brass alloy.
Most of the aluminum ones I have are pitted to hell, and some have extra holes in them.

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a token just like it yours is the only other one I've seen, but I am in East Texas so maybe common in MS.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This place looks like it has POTENTIAL aplenty,let us see the gold-silver-copper "goodies". Dig everything to get down to the old stuff,a pain but it only leaves the worthwhile stuff finally.HH

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hadn't made a trip back yet, but weather permitting (temps), I plan on it early next week.

chrisdigs, I hope you knew my "thanks" went to you as well for catching my mistake :thumbsup:

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the token. I found a Louisiana one a few weeks ago

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois