Mississippi River Steamboats

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I live along the Mississippi River and close to the Missouri river, and I know there are alot of steamboats that went down on both of these rivers. I know the courses have changed wtc, but I also know they dredge the river at times to make it a little deeper for river traffic. My question is, where could I find out where all of the stuff they dredge from the river is dumped, taken to, or put? Would this be a good or reasonable conclusion that things might be there?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact the local Army Corp of Engineers. They should be able to provide volumes of info on the areas you seek. Your dredge tailings idea might be a good starting point.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I used to live on the Mississippi river further south, in Mississippi. Every dredge that I ever saw working just pumped the tailings to another part of the river, not on the bank. Now with that being said, the river does get really low so maybe if the area where the tailings were dumped wasn't deep then at low water the tailings could be exposed. Like a sandbar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread