Mixed bag

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some okay results hunting the last two days. I hit the coin counter bags hard - two quarter bags, three dime bags, and a nickel bag. Also picked up eight boxes of halves today. Here is what I scored:

image-766881952.jpg

The 1909 barber dime is now my oldest coin roll hunting find.
Two of the 40% kens and the three 90% halves were in one box. Quite a nice variety! The 1934-S walker is my oldest half dollar found coin roll hunting.
The Ben marks my 20th Franklin half dollar - a solid roll! It took me six months to hit that achievement.

image-4237828399.jpg

I have a massive 20-box order scheduled to arrive this week at my hometown bank two hours north of where I currently live. I asked them how many I could order, and they told me that I can order as many as I want! I've been banking with them for 20 years, so 20 boxes seemed fitting. I'll let you guys know how it all goes. Oh, and my brother is getting married too. Should be a very interesting weekend!

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I had some okay results hunting the last two days. I hit the coin counter bags hard - two quarter bags, three dime bags, and a nickel bag. Also picked up eight boxes of halves today. Here is what I scored:

View attachment 826307

The 1909 barber dime is now my oldest coin roll hunting find.
Two of the 40% kens and the three 90% halves were in one box. Quite a nice variety! The 1934-S walker is my oldest half dollar found coin roll hunting.
The Ben marks my 20th Franklin half dollar - a solid roll! It took me six months to hit that achievement.

View attachment 826308

I have a massive 20-box order scheduled to arrive this week at my hometown bank two hours north of where I currently live. I asked them how many I could order, and they told me that I can order as many as I want! I've been banking with them for 20 years, so 20 boxes seemed fitting. I'll let you guys know how it all goes. Oh, and my brother is getting married too. Should be a very interesting weekend!

Nice 20 half dolla boxes sounds just about right for an average order. I used to get 14 boxes from a bank but they said no cause I was dumping all 14 boxes where I bought em from.

A

Ag_Forager

Great finds Styfflin! Is it easy for you to get bags where you live? Does the bank sell the bags to you directly, or do they send them in to Loomis/Brinks/Garda to be counted first?

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Styfflin! Is it easy for you to get bags where you live? Does the bank sell the bags to you directly, or do they send them in to Loomis/Brinks/Garda to be counted first?

I've only been able to find one bank so far that will let me buy bags directly them. There was a bank that had previously allowed me to buy bags, but they all of a sudden said there was a rule against that after the second time I picked up a bag.

So far the finds in bags have been pretty comparable to the finds in boxes. I'm guessing it is because most of the coins come from businesses. My greatest score was in the one half dollar bag I've been able to get. They had about $300 of halves in their coin counter, and I asked if I could put in an exact amount of halves from my coin roll hunting and then buy the bag. They were totally cool with that. I can't remember off the top of my head how much I found in that bag, but it was a good mix of 40% and 90% kens.

I like bags because you can dump out the contents on a nice flat surface and spot keepers instantly. I hate bags because they are the filthiest coins. The grime on my hands after searching coin bags is hard to scrub off, not to mention whatever other nastiness people somehow mix with their change. That and I'm quickly filling a ziploc bag with random tokens, buttons, and whatnots.

A

Ag_Forager

I've only been able to find one bank so far that will let me buy bags directly them. There was a bank that had previously allowed me to buy bags, but they all of a sudden said there was a rule against that after the second time I picked up a bag.

So far the finds in bags have been pretty comparable to the finds in boxes. I'm guessing it is because most of the coins come from businesses. My greatest score was in the one half dollar bag I've been able to get. They had about $300 of halves in their coin counter, and I asked if I could put in an exact amount of halves from my coin roll hunting and then buy the bag. They were totally cool with that. I can't remember off the top of my head how much I found in that bag, but it was a good mix of 40% and 90% kens.

I like bags because you can dump out the contents on a nice flat surface and spot keepers instantly. I hate bags because they are the filthiest coins. The grime on my hands after searching coin bags is hard to scrub off, not to mention whatever other nastiness people somehow mix with their change. That and I'm quickly filling a ziploc bag with random tokens, buttons, and whatnots.

Thanks Styfflin-- that's helpful info. I was thinking of doing that myself (offering to fill the bag, and then buying it). I have reason to believe that the partial bag at my credit union has been filled very slowly over a period of months or perhaps years. I'll make the offer and see what they say. Thanks!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you ordering the 20 boxes from multiple branches or one branch? If it is one branch, this may be the last time your can order from them. If it is multiple branches, there shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you ordering the 20 boxes from multiple branches or one branch? If it is one branch, this may be the last time your can order from them. If it is multiple branches, there shouldn't be a problem.

All one branch. Like I said, that bank and I have a long history. They didn't seem to have any issue ordering that many boxes. I figure that if I keep the frequency of requests down (only thrice in six months), I can increase the size of them. Here's to hoping the branch manager's bosses see it the same way.

In the end, it ended up being a decent silver score...maybe a little above average. 29 40% kens, 1 90% ken, and 1 Ben.

image-851045731.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
All one branch. Like I said, that bank and I have a long history. They didn't seem to have any issue ordering that many boxes. I figure that if I keep the frequency of requests down (only thrice in six months), I can increase the size of them. Here's to hoping the branch manager's bosses see it the same way.

In the end, it ended up being a decent silver score...maybe a little above average. 29 40% kens, 1 90% ken, and 1 Ben.

View attachment 827764

The foreign coin is Saudi Arabian.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread