ML STERLING Finds Today - CW, Button(s), Bullets + MORE

TrashedTiger

May 4, 2006
Hello all - I was lucky enough to snag a vintage Minelab Sterling that has been super tuned (search Minelab Sterling and puddlepirate to see how this was done). This sucker is DEEP. I was digging .22 bullets at 12+ inches and other small items @ 18+ inches. I have never found a button before I got this detector and between today and yesterday I got 5 now! I also got a few other firsts including part of a harmonica reed and a suspender clip. I also got one 3 ringer and lots of melted lead as well as a few buckles. Can anyone tell me again what the rivet looking thing is, I know I have seen one before in a civil war post but I can not remember what it is. The nice land owner also gave me the iron pot - she found it in the field and she said her husband thought it was what they used to melt lead in to make bullets - which actually makes sense because there is lead coated on the inside which you can see in the pic. I hunted with another member of the NC Dirty Diggers today and he had 2 nice finds - 1 of which is AWESOME but I will wait till he posts it here later. By the way the buttons all have different backmarks - one says Double Gilt and one says Plated and has a wreath underneath (the large flower button) and one says Imperial Standard. I am still trying to make out the mark on the back of the eagle button. Anyways thanks for looking and keep checking back for Bobby's post - you will want to see that find for sure!

Attachments

• Overall Shot.JPG
    Overall Shot.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 403
  • Button Group.JPG
    Button Group.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 409
  • Buckles Bullets Etc.JPG
    Buckles Bullets Etc.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 402
  • The Pot.JPG
    The Pot.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 399
  • The Sterling.JPG
    The Sterling.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Nice relics, those buttons are awesome. Congratulations!

Chris

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
NICE FINDS KEPT HUNTING THAT PLACE. BEST OF LUCK. :thumbsup:

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is nice ground your hunting. The patina on the buttons is great. The ground is kind to the relics.

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds love the buttons :thumbsup:

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
well I'm the other dirty digger Adam was detecting with today he is a very lucky guy let me tell you 4 buttons a day isn't to bad... i myself didn't get but 1 button, 1 bullet, 1 suspender clip, 1 spoon or fork handle, and a 1805 half cent .... it is my first i was so excited 2 find one i could have ended my day right then trust me the pictures do no justice for the coin in good light you can read the date of 1805 and make out all the letters of liberty..it made my day and not to bad for a Garrett detector either....lol

Attachments

• coin2.JPG
    coin2.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 282
  • spoon.JPG
    spoon.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 274
  • suspender clip2.JPG
    suspender clip2.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 280
  • suspender clip1.JPG
    suspender clip1.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 274
  • bullet3.JPG
    bullet3.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 283
  • bullet2.JPG
    bullet2.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 277
  • bullet1.JPG
    bullet1.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 277
  • coin3.JPG
    coin3.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 276

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TrashedTiger said:
Hello all - I was lucky enough to snag a vintage Minelab Sterling that has been super tuned (search Minelab Sterling and puddlepirate to see how this was done). This sucker is DEEP. I was digging .22 bullets at 12+ inches and other small items @ 18+ inches. I have never found a button before I got this detector and between today and yesterday I got 5 now! I also got a few other firsts including part of a harmonica reed and a suspender clip. I also got one 3 ringer and lots of melted lead as well as a few buckles. Can anyone tell me again what the rivet looking thing is, I know I have seen one before in a civil war post but I can not remember what it is. The nice land owner also gave me the iron pot - she found it in the field and she said her husband thought it was what they used to melt lead in to make bullets - which actually makes sense because there is lead coated on the inside which you can see in the pic. I hunted with another member of the NC Dirty Diggers today and he had 2 nice finds - 1 of which is AWESOME but I will wait till he posts it here later. By the way the buttons all have different backmarks - one says Double Gilt and one says Plated and has a wreath underneath (the large flower button) and one says Imperial Standard. I am still trying to make out the mark on the back of the eagle button. Anyways thanks for looking and keep checking back for Bobby's post - you will want to see that find for sure!

It is not your first button well maybe your 1st civil war button,you dug a button with me the 2nd day we ever hunted ::) Anyways that is an awsome beutiful eagle button and others, i wish i could have been with you guys instead of just on the phone, see adam told you there was nothing there lol ;D

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dragon6banger said:
well I'm the other dirty digger Adam was detecting with today he is a very lucky guy let me tell you 4 buttons a day isn't to bad... i myself didn't get but 1 button, 1 bullet, 1 suspender clip, 1 spoon or fork handle, and a 1805 half cent .... it is my first i was so excited 2 find one i could have ended my day right then trust me the pictures do no justice for the coin in good light you can read the date of 1805 and make out all the letters of liberty..it made my day and not to bad for a Garrett detector either....lol

Just gotta give a big CONGRATS to bobby for pulling that half cent out of the ground, awsome finds guys. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread