Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These aren't ancient, but I thought others might like to see them anyway. A few years ago I visited the Acoma pueblo in Arizona. Lots of history, and beautiful views from the top of the mesa. We visited with the locals for what seemed like hours while we were there. Lots of native artists showcasing (and of course selling) their artwork. To my great surprise, we were even allowed to hike back down the mesa on the old water trail (where they used to carry water up from the valley below) -- it was steep and wild, and you could tell very few tourists took that route. It was a great experience and I highly recommend it if you're ever in the area.

Anyway the point is, there was a table selling knives and arrows. I was fortunate to meet the man who made them, and got to talk to him for quite a while after most of the other tourists had moved on. He told me that he made the arrows himself, by hand, the old way, using only native materials. They are fletched with turkey feather, tipped with knapped arrowheads, and fastened with sinew. I suppose this could all just be a line for the tourists, but he was a really nice guy and seemed very genuine, and was eager to talk when I asked him questions about everything. So I picked up a couple of the arrows.

Here are the tips with the "modern artifact" arrowheads. These seem much better crafted than most of the "arrowheads" I see in tourist shops. He said these were made for hunting, just like the ones he uses himself. I have no plans to actually hunt with them, though. I just thought others might like to see them.

IMG_1748.jpeg IMG_1749.jpeg
IMG_1751.jpeg IMG_1750.jpeg IMG_1752.jpeg

And just for grins, here is the view from where I "found" them.
IMG_0290.jpeg

And here are a couple of views heading down the old trail from the top. (That's my son down below).
IMG_0293.jpeg IMG_0301.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread