Modern coin advice

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Hey all. I'm new around here and had a question that I thought might be answered here. I'm a VERY novice collector when it comes to coins and for the most part it amounts to me saving anything that's old, or silver, wheat-backs, or interesting looking to me. I have about 10lbs of coins I've been saving to sort through and was wondering if there are any special dates or coins I should be looking out for from the past 60 years or so besides the obvious stuff?

I know to be on the lookout for 1982 dimes -p, the 1965 silver dime, and a couple others but are there any else you good folks would suggest watching out for?

HH,

Bryan

Upvote 0

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
silvercop said:
buy you a 2010 redbook and get to looking......all newbies need a redbook
Even a 2009 redbood is a good read. I got a 09 $3 clearance at the book store and sure it isnt on the money but what changes in a year? When you can get a book that is just one year off for the taxes of a new book why not?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the 09 would be great. might be able to find one cheap on feebay. numismatics is something that can't be learned over night. i have been collecting since i was 5 years old and i am 42 now. i still have a lot to learn. it's a fun hobby. if you are serious about the hobby i would recommend a subscription to coin world

OP
OP
T

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Wide AM?

Belay my question. I found the answer on the site you referenced. I'm such a nub at this stuff. Sure seems time consuming too.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
silvercop said:
the 09 would be great. might be able to find one cheap on feebay. numismatics is something that can't be learned over night. i have been collecting since i was 5 years old and i am 42 now. i still have a lot to learn. it's a fun hobby. if you are serious about the hobby i would recommend a subscription to coin world
You can go to your local library to learn too there are books and magazines. The magazine you mentioned is offered at our local library. I can even check out magazines from our library but they are at least a month old.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I am an intermediate level coin collector I would say. But when I decided to really pay more attention to what I got in my change I found this book at Hasting. Perfect for what you are talking about. I like it a lot but I do use my red book more because now I know what I need and what my goals are as a collector and actively try to work towards them. Good luck to you!

TG

Attachments

• strike_it_rich_with_pocket_change_200.jpg
    strike_it_rich_with_pocket_change_200.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 145

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread