Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing my DFX for up to 9 hrs sometimes. The weight takes its toll on my shoulders. To counter some of the weight I modified an old rechargeable battery pack and a regular battery pack for my DFX. I soldered a solid copper wire in the positive and negative connections in the rechargeable pack that is to go inside the detector. I then drilled the appropriate hole size for the coil cord in both packs. Get the correct size hole matching the coil wire diameter, this will reduce chaffing and early wear on the coil wire. You want a tight fit. It is important that the coiled cord comes out of the empty pack on the far left side, or the right back side of the pack. This is the only place the coiled wire has room to slide into the battery pack inclosure in the detector. I used an old coiled charging wire from an old cell phone. I cut the unusable ends off of the coiled cord, and slipped the ends through the drilled holes made in both boxes. Make a knot in the coil ends on the inside of each box and pull snug. This will prevent the wires from pulling your connections loose in the battery pack. Make sure to leave enough wire to reach appropriate positive or negative posts. Make sure also that if the two wires in the coiled cord are not color coded, (black and white) that they go to the proper positive and negative posts when soldering them in, if the wires are not color coded, use a meter. I then used a dab of silicone where the holes were made in the packs on the inside and out of pack, just for insurance, a snug fit. Using a dremel I cut a notch in the detector battery pack closure. Put tape over the battery pack compartment to keep metal shavings out of the case and computer board. I filed the cut edges smooth. I then used small strips of gorilla tape around the small opening to prevent the the cord from chafing. The other pack with the 8 AA batteries goes any where you want. This shaves about 6 to 7 ounces off of your detector weight. Is it noticeable, you betcha. Now I have to work on making a plastic main housing for the computer board. Art

Attachments

• 20150518_160803.jpg
    20150518_160803.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150518_160917.jpg
    20150518_160917.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20150518_184127.jpg
    20150518_184127.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20150518_184246.jpg
    20150518_184246.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150518_184551.jpg
    20150518_184551.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job, Art. That technique could also be used to have a higher voltage battery in the TDI-SL. I've considered it, but decided to wait and hope a higher voltage battery comes available. In any case, good thinking on reducing the weight.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another way to do that would be to install a jack in the bottom of the battery holder, and make a matching hole in the bottom of the DFX....slide in the battery holder, and plug in the external battery.
Jim

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I considered the jack option. I had everything on hand to do it the way I did. Using a jack was my first thought and it would probably almost be the same weight or less, depending on the weight of the male and female jack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim, it saved my shoulder without doubt. Six + ounces after a long day of swinging adds up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread