Modle t hubcap?

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to one of my favorite spots today and though I didn't manage any coins I did pull this thing that looks to me like an old ford hubcap. No markings on it anywhere though. Did they make similar ones for other cars of the era without the ford name on them? Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463747085.434038.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463747107.868112.jpg

Upvote 4

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May or may not be from a Model T. Does look somewhat like a grease cap.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, looks about right. I've found two. However, I was told they could go to either a Model-A or Model-T. I didn't investigate that idea

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a hub cap for an old car... Most likely made in the 1920s.

The ones that I see from Model Ts always say Ford and made In USA on them. Henry liked them that way!

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a few always had a name on them dodge brothers ford Chevrolet ect. Good find congrats

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks similar to some I have found, but they've all had a brand on them.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
What is stamped on the front of it?

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one has nothing on it but it looks identical to the ford ones in google images

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
This one has nothing on it but it looks identical to the ford ones in google images

Thats cool, does not mean anything really. Heck I am not old enough to have seen a factory MT. But my 1984 one ton Chevy 4X4 came factory with hub caps. There was no chevy bow tie on them, and that was how they came factory. Sure Chevy loves their bow tie but some things are left out.

I bet this could be the same thing; I would say just check online for general measurements and do your best to pull measurements from your find. If they are the same then I would say it is plausible you found an MT hub cap.

In regards to the ones you see online; yeah I looked to after you mentioned it. The way I see it is if I had a plain jane smooth factory hub cap then chances are I would not post it either online. The ones I saw online looked all nice a shinny with cool embossed writing. who's to say those are not after market. I would guess that some online are factory and others are not. If your measurements match up then I guess it is. Fact is you found yours, those ones online I bet folks paid for them. Make it straight and sell and you all profit with a cool story.

But I would go back to that area and look some more, I bet that is not the only thing left behind from that MT.

Just my thoughts. Cool find man.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not made by Ford, Model T were always marked with Ford script. There is no way it could have come through without unless it was an aftermarket or something.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grease caps that I have found say Ford written in script, and made in USA. I also have a few from Chevy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions