RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a thought recently about making some .69 Cal. roundballs or minie balls for research. I don't want to smash real ones, or carve real ones, so I wanted to make my own. I do not own a musket, nor do I plan on shooting one, so this is strictly for the heck of it. I don't want to spend any money. Impossible terms, am I right? How would I go about making a free, mold for these things?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up green sand casting. You can use one of your musket balls as the form for the mold. If you own a propane torch and metal pot you're ready to pour. Using zinc alloys such as tire weights is slightly safer but make sure read up on the safety requirements for casting. It's relatively safe but it can go south in hurry.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new .69 mold from Lee Precision cost less than $30.

https://leeprecision.com/mold-sc-ball-.690.html

Not unlike the bullet molds used 200 years ago except aluminum which is easier to use.

It would be pretty darn hard to make a plaster mold for a round ball. The tricky part would be getting the casting centered exactly between the two halves of the mold. Start with a .69 round ball and get a line exactly around a circumference of the ball, wax it, and screw a screw into one half so you can pluck it from the plaster.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A specific mold would be the best but it kinda misses the free mark. That's why I suggested green sand. If you own a cat or know someone who does you make it practically for free. And if you mess up the mold just start over. Done that many a time lol.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, right. :thumbsup:

Here is how you get your circumference marked on the .69 lead round ball- First screw about a 2-1/2" screw into your ball, then cut the head off the screw and chuck it in your electric drill. Cut a block of whatever exactly .345", or 11/32" , secure your 11/32" block on to a flat surface, hold a utility knife against the block with the tip protruding. Then just take your chucked round ball, stick it against the flat surface and give it a spin. It might take a couple tries.

Then you can stick your screw/round ball combo exactly half way into a pan of plaster. Pluck it out when dry, wax both the face of the plaster and another round ball, stick the waxed ball into the cavity from the first half of a round ball, and pour plaster over it. You can use drinking straws to form holes for the lead to go in and air to get out.

If you got more time than money it might be a lot of fun, so long as you don't burn yourself. Wear your welding gloves, outdoors, and saftey glasses at least. Don't get the lead too hot or you risk breathing lead vapor.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you end up doing it and end up needing some questions answered, let me know.I am very proficient in mould making. I have worked with moulds for glass, metal, clay, wax, and so on. Working with materials ranging from rubbers to plaster and everything inbetween. As well as how to do it on a starving artists budget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread