Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC,
I just hope we don't have to find out. Perhaps this disaster was intended, and meant to be a lot worse, but was somehow thwarted. Then again, perhaps not, and people are just being people and thinking all sorts of stuff.

I will say that throughout history, it was a good thing to have some savings stored up. Savings that wouldn't lose purchasing power over time. Now with fiat, we have debasement going on, and we see the result of not being able to buy as much stuff for the same amount of money. Now if we save fiat, we lose some of it every day.

What would you rather find, $5,000 in confederate gold, or a bag with $5,000 in new $100 bills?
(This is my point) :icon_thumright:

Well that is a loaded question for me...

Right now... either would work... but if in a desert... I would take water instead :)

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I take all my paper money and buy me a block of gold , how much do I cut off to pay the clerk at the gas station when I want a cold beer ?sure seems like that would be a pain in the butt .I have to carry tools and scales just to buy a beer.

Ok so I go the gold coin route , then the change back from the purchase will be that dang paper money I just got rid of.
I think gold is old school, we can't all buy gold can we? is there enough to use for everyday trade?

I hear there was a time when salt was worth more than gold. better go buy me some salt and T.P

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If I take all my paper money and buy me a block of gold , how much do I cut off to pay the clerk at the gas station when I want a cold beer ?sure seems like that would be a pain in the butt .I have to carry tools for cutting it and scales just to buy a beer.

Ok so I go the gold coin route , then the change back from the purchase will be that dang paper money I just got rid of.
I think gold is old school, we can't all buy gold can we? is there enough to use for everyday trade?

I hear there was a time when salt was worth more than gold. better go buy me some salt and T.P

Don't dismiss fractional silver!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok can we all trade in silver ? only silver I have is some found while relic hunting . I just don't understand how to value a worn 1950 dime when I want to buy a beer will one buy it or two or ten? I know the buying power of the paper money but not the gold and silver.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When dollars are traded, you ain't really trading dollars, you are trading a symbol of a unit of force, usually labor.

You are also trading want or need, and other intangible things. We need a tangible medium of trade because you cannot trade pure admiration. Well you can, but admiration is not non-negotiable.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If I take all my paper money and buy me a block of gold , how much do I cut off to pay the clerk at the gas station when I want a cold beer ?sure seems like that would be a pain in the butt .I have to carry tools and scales just to buy a beer.

In that situation, you would use fractional silver, reserving gold for major purchases and store of wealth.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok can we all trade in silver ? only silver I have is some found while relic hunting . I just don't understand how to value a worn 1950 dime when I want to buy a beer will one buy it or two or ten? I know the buying power of the paper money but not the gold and silver.
It somehow worked great for hundreds if not thousands of years.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Well,it's worth ten cents to start.
Depending on current spot price it's worth a dollar +_ some cents probably.
And condition could be a 3 dollar coin or more.
Yours being well worn might not quite weigh .0723 oz.. (Average dime weight in that area/era )But that's the amount of silver value I'd look to value it at for a minimum/melt price.

Silver spot price today is down a bit to 15.57 an oz. /.50 per gram.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Yours being well worn might not quite weigh .0723 oz.. (Average dime weight in that area/era )But that's the amount of silver value I'd look to value it at for a minimum/melt price.

The right barkeep should give you a short beer for it. Not the first or last draft out of a keg though. Those should be on the house...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trade is trade... some will want metals... some will want salt... some will want honey.... and so on... barter and trade is and has been "the way of life".

IF you have some of the ole Mad MAx movies scenarios in mind... "barter town" would exist. heh

I personally think law, order and structure must exist even in worse case scenarios for anything to work.

We as the human race have worked hard to achieve this... it would be sad to let that just go out the window.

The whole "fight or flight" comes to mind.

IMO... Fighting against a "breakdown" is truly the only answer to any real comfortable stability of society.

Change is one thing... a total collapse is another.

We as humans who have worked so hard on building... should not allow ourselves to just let it crumble.

And I don't know about you...

But I would rather just go down to the store for something.... than barter for it.

After all... like I said... we as humans have worked very hard at achieving this safer organized stable ability.

:)

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

why sure it's worth face value at the least. but so are the very easy to come by modern dimes. as you have stated there are many variables in the silver dimes value. so who's to say what the buying power of any given silver coin may be? I sure don't know and I doubt the guy at the gas station would have any idea.

my point is I don't think we will ever see gold and silver being used instead of paper by the masses.
As stated above dealing in silver and gold worked for thousands of years but so did traveling by horse. sure we can ride a horse and buggy but is everyone going to do it? I live in Amish country and see buggies on the road often but for most of us I think those days are history and will never be coming back.
just like silver and gold replacing paper, it ain't gonna happen.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Trade is trade... some will want metals... some will want salt... some will want honey.... and so on... barter and trade is and has been "the way of life".

IF you have some of the ole Mad MAx movies scenarios in mind... "barter town" would exist. heh

I personally think law, order and structure must exist even in worse case scenarios for anything to work.

We as the human race have worked hard to achieve this... it would be sad to let that just go out the window.

The whole "fight or flight" comes to mind.

IMO... Fighting against a "breakdown" is truly the only answer to any real comfortable stability of society.

Change is one thing... a total collapse is another.

We as humans who have worked so hard on building... should not allow ourselves to just let it crumble.

And I don't know about you...

But I would rather just go down to the store for something.... than barter for it.

After all... like I said... we as humans have worked very hard at achieving this safer organized stable ability.

:)

Some store owners like to barter. Not many, but some.
Flee mkt scenario usually has some barter going on.

Seems like most of the time, folk just too busy to want to barter.
Other folk, attempt to negotiate every transaction.

Battering will be around I think, for a long while.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to barter and haggle , works good on Craig's list , not so good at Walmart

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
why sure it's worth face value at the least. but so are the very easy to come by modern dimes. as you have stated there are many variables in the silver dimes value. so who's to say what the buying power of any given silver coin may be? I sure don't know and I doubt the guy at the gas station would have any idea.

my point is I don't think we will ever see gold and silver being used instead of paper by the masses.
As stated above dealing in silver and gold worked for thousands of years but so did traveling by horse. sure we can ride a horse and buggy but is everyone going to do it? I live in Amish country and see buggies on the road often but for most of us I think those days are history and will never be coming back.
just like silver and gold replacing paper, it ain't gonna happen.

As long as paper has integrity , you're good.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some store owners like to barter. Not many, but some.
Flee mkt scenario usually has some barter going on.

Seems like most of the time, folk just too busy to want to barter.
Other folk, attempt to negotiate every transaction.

Battering will be around I think, for a long while.

At blackpowder shoots ,sometimes at night we'd put out a blanket and do some round robin trading. Period or related items.
When your turn you put an item on the blankets center , and anyone interested put an offer on the edge.
An offer may need to be sweetened up if the item in the center has a greater perceived value , or the other way around.
Or , decline offers.

I avoided the late night rifles going onto blanket...Struck me as about as horse trading. Who'd give up a good horse?
But , it's something a neighborhood could do before or after a block sale. Even better for someone would not want to have time and strangers wrapped up in a sale..

Township dump days used to be fun.
Folks waiting in line swapping stuff ,and you had to wonder if some didn't go home with more than they were supposed to get rid of.L.o.l..
And as kids , pickin the dump was fun too.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
At blackpowder shoots ,sometimes at night we'd put out a blanket and do some round robin trading. Period or related items.
When your turn you put an item on the blankets center , and anyone interested put an offer on the edge.
An offer may need to be sweetened up if the item in the center has a greater perceived value , or the other way around.
Or , decline offers.

I avoided the late night rifles going onto blanket...Struck me as about as horse trading. Who'd give up a good horse?
But , it's something a neighborhood could do before or after a block sale. Even better for someone would not want to have time and strangers wrapped up in a sale..

Township dump days used to be fun.
Folks waiting in line swapping stuff ,and you had to wonder if some didn't go home with more than they were supposed to get rid of.L.o.l..
And as kids , pickin the dump was fun too.

:laughing7::laughing7:
RC,
As kids, that's one of the ways we built up our immune system !

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time we went to the dump I picked up an empty keg and a sweet wicker chair.
We arent supposed to take things but we had so much they'd never notice anyway.
That keg will make a fun range target!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These days really makes me rethink who "the most vulnerable and at risk" are here in America.
Is it the welfare recipient with nothing to lose and a guaranteed check every month or the working poor living week to week scraping by with the skin of their teeth and little savings?
Will the ones living on the dole even notice any difference?

It really puts a perspective on things for the lower middle class I think.
Middle to lower middle class needs the savings more than anyone since they usually have less assets to begin with.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
These days really makes me rethink who "the most vulnerable and at risk" are here in America.
Is it the welfare recipient with nothing to lose and a guaranteed check every month or the working poor living week to week scraping by with the skin of their teeth and little savings?
Will the ones living on the dole even notice any difference?

It really puts a perspective on things for the lower middle class I think.
Middle to lower middle class needs the savings more than anyone since they usually have less assets to begin with.

JohnnyBravo,
I might be wrong, but I think there are folks hurting across the board. The information/dis-information psyop that many are struggling with, is taking a lot more of a toll than than is being talked about. imho

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions