Money Believed Buried Tuscaloosa County Area ??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Montgomery Advertiser​

29 Jan 1937, Fri ·Page 1

000aaa.jpg

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like these small stories Jeff. Murder, misery death and insight into era long gone. Some times these sad events can lead to a long forgotten money cache.

These stories are more priceless to me than the more famous treasure legends as some times they can bare fruit.

Crow

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep ! Just Because he Didn't Tell , Does Not Mean the Cache Was Fake, Just that the Majority (Maybe all) apparently Blew it off
in 1936

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
John Manley Pate was born on the 15th May 1872 Buhl, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA. he died he died 8 March 1936 Buhl, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA.

His wife was Lula Virginia Lowe Channell was his wife. they lived at Buhl. the only address i came up with was 1880 Hughes, Tuscaloosa Alabama

Crow

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF this is Him he would have been 15 ?
000bbb.jpg

may have been reason he had money
000ccc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000ddd.jpg

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good find.
The first decline of farm values began in 1920 when agricultural land values averaged $69 per acre. ...It take that as a benchmark to work from. And take in account rural Alabama was a slightly depressed market at the time. Say properties was selling say 50 dollars per acre? That was still 15000 dollars generated by 1920 standards. So if he was paid in gold coin? It might make a nice haul by today's prices of gold coins?

Crow

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000fff.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was another John M

The Ashland Progress​

29 Oct 1936, Thu ·Page 2

000ggg.jpg

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Done!
That might be grown up his children. the article gives us good idea that the property the 3 roomed house and 2 roomed house if it still exists will be roughly 1-3 miles from the school. So we have starting point to work From.

Its stinking hot in my part of the world I have all the hatch's open to let the sea air in.
Time for swim and then a drink or two?

Cheers Crow.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Jeff her is potential search site. Three things that make it the possible home John M Pate? It is just under 2 miles from the school at Bhul and it is along a road mentioned in the papers as Hughes road today its called Shelly Hughes road. Finally the construction type as what I can seem pre 1940's.

So amigo a possible contender?

x1.JPG

x2.JPG

x3.JPG

x4.JPG

x5.JPG

x6.JPG

Regardless it does high the value of these little hardly known stories that in deep if all the facts add up can lead to recover of treasure.

Here is another view across the field.

X7.JPG

X8.JPG

X9.JPG

I should add I do not condone trespassing as its private property but the right friendly approach might yield permission to detect the site may yield a cache. If of course the Treasure hunting gods shine on you?

Crow

Attachments

• x4.JPG
    x4.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 8

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While there is no guarantee any treasure was there. or correct location or if money was buried there is still there?

What this does show for the more serious treasure hunter some times its smaller hardly known stories that have more potential than the more famous researched to death treasure legends.

These little hardly noticed newspaper stories may well indeed be the money ticket for those daring to seek.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If amigos the treasure gods gave shined down upon us. and its the correct location. reading the lay of land in context of what was happening in the 1930's. many rural banks collapsed in the great depression and the gold act? So its not beyond the realms of impossibility that John M Pate in fear of losing money in bank collapses his money. There was a very real fear back then.

If I was to search such site I would detect along fence line searching for a post home cache using in view of the main bedroom. People like to keep an observant eye on the location they have buried their money.

Its a subconscious thing I am constantly touching my ass pocket to feel for my wallet. habitual habit. Well its the same when you hide some thing? And like me anyone who buries money is attached to it wants in in plain sight. it human nature amigos.

Failing that with post holes along the fence line . I detect around the larges trees old enough to be around in the 1930's around the house once again in plain view.

Failing that around the foundations. With John M Pate saying he had no money he was doomed regardless they killed him anyway for not revealing it and even if he had they would of killed him anyway because he knew his killers.

So knowing your going to die either way there was no way in hell I would revealed I had buried money either as one last act of defiance.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if Someone in the Area Can Access Local GIS info
Tax Assessor
or can Go to the Local Courthouse for Tax Info They could
Confirm it Or At least have a Place to Start !

Thanks Crow :coffee2:

Last edited:

M0U5_E

Feb 12, 2024
I live about 35 minutes from this area. I’ll see if I can dig some info up on it, find out who owns it, and try to get permission. Thanks for the information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread