MonkeyBoy Jrs 1st CW Cartridge Box Plate! *UPDATE on name on back*

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
MonkeyBoy Jr's 1st CW Cartridge Box Plate! *UPDATE on name on back*

MonkeyBoy Jr and I went out digging this afternoon.. We had been there about 1/2 hour when I hear him calling me that he needed help digging a hole. Sooo, I work my way back up to where he was, about 125 feet away or so. He has a pretty good hole going but hit a large rock. I hit the hole and it gave off a pretty good signal so we lifted up the rock and hit it again.. BAM!! The depth was showing 0 on my DFX so I dug out a little more and there was the back of a plate in the bottom of the hole! We did a few high fives and ran to get the real camera.. shot the pics.. and then he carefully wiggled it up and out of the hole... grinning from ear to ear!! So he got his first Civil War plate at 11 years old!!! He was using his Prizm IV with the 950 coil and the plate was about 7" or 8" deep!! The plate is a stamped Boyds out of Boston with what appears to be two inspection stamps and a different name stamped in to it.. either a Sutler or maybe a soldiers name.. I'll have to figure out what it says.

I added one final picture.. the plate cleaned and waxed... looks great!!!

**UPDATE** I did a little research this morning and found this:
"In a letter written in late 1863 from W.H. Wilkinson, of Springfield Massachusetts to General Ramsay, Chief of Ordnance. Wilkinson asked if plates had to be marked with the makers and inspector's names. The General replied that it was not required. However plates marked with both Wilkinson's and the inspector's name (T.J. Shepard) are found in collections today. Also the marking of the plates may have been to the discretion of the governments inspector at the contractors place of work, once more T.J. Shepard's name is seen on two plates made by Boyd & Sons of Boston in Plates and buckles of the American military 1795 - 1874 by Sydney C. Kerksis."

Looks like that is what we have, the name stamped on the back is the inspector "T.J. Shepard" By far the best cartridge box plate in the household collection!!!

Attachments

• matts_plate.jpg
    matts_plate.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 682
  • boyd.jpg
    boyd.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 663
  • name.jpg
    name.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 684
  • dirt.jpg
    dirt.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 682
  • matt.jpg
    matt.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 682
  • plate_cleaned.jpg
    plate_cleaned.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 1

(BOOTY CALLS)

Mar 31, 2009
Re: MonkeyBoy Jr's First Civil War Cartridge Box Plate! Pretty Good for 11 years old

Sweet find and congrats. Keep up the good work. HH Matt...

F

Felinepeachy

Re: MonkeyBoy Jr's First Civil War Cartridge Box Plate! Pretty Good for 11 years old

WOW OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!!!! :wav: :blob8: :blob7: :blob6: :blob5: :blob3: :occasion18: :occasion14: ;D :thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find! Sweet looking plate. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HECK YEAH!

:thumbsup:

That is Top Notch for condition on a box plate!

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT

That is great!! What a find for him or anybody. :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOW THAT IS JUST PURE PLEASURE RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEEING ONE OF THOSE PLATES STARING UP AT YOU FROM 5 INCHES DOWN IN THE DIRT :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:CONGRATS to your son MonkeyBoy, that's one FINE plate and the backmark is icing on the cake! Very Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter

Great find.
And it's in great condition.
Keep it up

3S

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

Do you think that I could borrow him because it looks like he has the luck.
Seriously Congrats on a outstanding find.I am still looking for my first one.
I am glad to see the young taking interest in saving history.
Keep the pics coming and happy hunting. :thumbsup:

fortbball9

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the boxplate that's incredible!! Monkeyboy Jr. sure showed ole' Monkeyboy up haha. Congrats again! And I say *BANNER*

Karinus

Jan 5, 2008
Morrison Co. MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT

Oh man, that is way cool!
Congrats.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome!!!!! Well, that Prism IV works well for me. I have the 950 coil too. CONGRATS HOGGE :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful boxplate :o Major Congrats to MonkeyBoy Jr. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Really cool

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: MonkeyBoy Jr's First Civil War Cartridge Box Plate! Pretty Good for 11 years

Big smile here! :)

That is awesome...congratulations to both of you! :icon_sunny:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, congrats MB Jr!! That is a nice looking plate! :thumbsup:

Steve

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

BuckleBoy said:
HECK YEAH!

:thumbsup:

That is Top Notch for condition on a box plate!

Oh man, being a Boyds and having the stamps on the back.. it is the better then any box plate I have found!!
AND.. as we were walking out.. he said "We did pretty good today.... and by "we" I mean "me"!!" NO IDEA where he got that saying from!! ;-)

MB

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

{Sentinel} said:
NOW THAT IS JUST PURE PLEASURE RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEEING ONE OF THOSE PLATES STARING UP AT YOU FROM 5 INCHES DOWN IN THE DIRT :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:CONGRATS to your son MonkeyBoy, that's one FINE plate and the backmark is icing on the cake! Very Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll tell him.. I don't think he believed me at first.. we did the "You found a plate" "No it's not' "yes it is" conversation you can only have with an 11 year old!!! ;-) Then he went to pull it out it out of the dirt.. I had to stop him so we could get pictures.. ;-) Kids these days!!! ;-)

MB

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

Wow! What a fantastic find!
Super Cool Congratulations!
What are you going to find next?

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread