Monster 1784 8 Reale

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I have been detecting for a number of years and it takes a lot to get me excited but today was that day. Finding a 1783 monster silver 8 reale or the proper name 1784 Pau, France, Bearn, Ecu, Louis XVI coin was a thrill. It started when I took my buddy Mike with me to hunt this fur trade site. We headed to the site and had a great time finding musket balls, copper items and silver. Mike found a major keeper, a nice trade silver cone. Folks, this in its self is the find of the day. He was thrilled and I was happy for him and congratulated him on a rare find. This is just one of the many silver items found at this site over the past year. I wanted to check out another location about ¼ mile away and we started walking. We carried the detectors not to waste any time and headed to the site. As we were walking we spotted some very old brick in the field. I made a note of the location and we continued walking to the other site. The site produced just two pewter buttons and still had some potential for another visit once the field gets turned. We headed back to the area of the brick and the fun started. Mike was finding button after button. These were large and very old ones. I set my E-Track to a higher discrimination level not wanting to dig trash because of the lack daylight remaining. I immediately started finding these large buttons many of them pewter. One was the silver plated and the size of a half dollar. None of the buttons had any writing on them. I then get this high pitched tone and started to remove the plug with a shovel. At the bottom of the plug about 10 inches deep was this shiny bottom of a can….no it’s a continental dollar, no it’s a Spanish 8 Reale. It is a monster of a coin stuck to the bottom of the plug. Catching the remaining light of the setting sun, I was in disbelief as I read the date of 1784. I was thrilled as I raised it in the air and Mike from a distance could see this coin. Mike seemed to be as happy as me. He said this is one of his best days of detecting ever. I was glad he was having a great time.
Mike finding the trade silver in its self-made for a super day but walking out with two major silver finds made this a day that I will long remember. It started to get dark. With the site location etched in our minds, we decided to call it a day. The area to be searched is very large and we focused on the area with the brick. As I write the snow starts to fall. When conditions are right we will return to the site. Our hope is that the coin is just one of many hidden with others many years ago waiting to see the light of day once again. … Jim

Attachments

• 1784 yyy.jpg
    1784 yyy.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 210
  • 1784 yy.jpg
    1784 yy.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 228
  • 1784 y.jpg
    1784 y.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 271
  • 1784-y.jpg
    1784-y.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 1784yyyy.jpg
    1784yyyy.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
H

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Pictures are here. I had trouble with pictures ,,, To Large ...We should be good now....

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a French coin ? Doesn't look like most of the 8 Reales pieces I've seen here . Outstanding find !

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd gladly take that over an 8 reales! Nothing to do with an 8 reale, different country, different coin.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a terrific story with a. Amazing coin to boot!
it's not everyday 230 year old silver shows its face.

May 2015 bring you continued luck!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a huge piece of silver! So what exactly is it fellas?

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll never figure out how something that huge and SHINY can stay hidden in a field that gets plowed regularly. You're super pumped that this one did though!!! That thing must weigh a ton.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello hunter1805,

Outstanding hunt! That is one large piece of silver.

Regards,

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a sweet coin. All I found today on my last hunt of the year was a ox shoe. It was -11 out so I didn't last to long anyway. I can't believe my work finally slows down and now the ground freezes up. It was perfect hunting weather all month! :)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez thats a big coin. Congrats on the big silv

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe and I still want to know what the coin is please! And why for my own knowledge are so many silver coins found with holes in them? Were they worn as pendants? Or was there another reason for holing them? Happy New Year everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread