Monster models kits need advise

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I was lucky enough to find 2 model kits Aurora Dracula (1962)an Mummy (1963) they was decently priced. The Mummy is like new meaning the cellophane is still intact an never opened. the Dracula is opened but all the peices are still there with the instructions. They book pretty high for model kits. I don't know if I should use a reserve if I put them on ebay.. I don't want to lose out a few hundred (worst case senerio What would you do if you was listing them???

AuroraDraculakit 001.jpg
AuroraMummykit 001.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds to start off with. Just list them for the least amount you would want for them and hope for the best. There are a few on there now to give you an idea as to what they are/have been selling for-
Aurora mummy | eBay

Aurora 1962 dracula | eBay

What I don't like is when I have something to sell and can find no comparison for recent sales anywhere, from Ebay to Heritage to Live Auctioneers because it is just, that rare.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Nice finds to start off with. Just list them for the least amount you would want for them and hope for the best. There are a few on there now to give you an idea as to what they are/have been selling for-
Aurora mummy | eBay

Aurora 1962 dracula | eBay

What I don't like is when I have something to sell and can find no comparison for recent sales anywhere, from Ebay to Heritage to Live Auctioneers because it is just, that rare.
Thank you for your reply Dig's.. I have a toy price guide from 2010 that books the dracula at 225.00 near mint meaning from there grading guide that all peices are there with instructions peices on there trees. I would think that this is what my model kit would grade at..

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a sealed model. That's as new as new can get (outside of getting lucky and finding them case fresh). Just because it's 50 years old doesn't mean it's no longer new unless the box is beat up all to heck.

Don't be afraid to use your free auctions on something like this. One sold for $600 recently, so don't be shy going for that for a couple of listings. You just never know. Rare is rare and they aren't making any more of them.

So... what did you pay for them? ;)

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
You have a sealed model. That's as new as new can get (outside of getting lucky and finding them case fresh). Just because it's 50 years old doesn't mean it's no longer new unless the box is beat up all to heck.

Don't be afraid to use your free auctions on something like this. One sold for $600 recently, so don't be shy going for that for a couple of listings. You just never know. Rare is rare and they aren't making any more of them.

So... what did you pay for them? ;)
Yeah I listed the sealed one with free shipping .. this will be my first auction with free shipping.. I will tell you what I paid after the auction are over..Kool? the boxes for both models are like new. They are both on Ebay right now set to start a lil before 8 pm PST. I did reserve auction an a buy it now for both.. Thanks for the kind words Bazinga btw I couldn't beleive what I was seeing when I found then yesterday.. I always wanted them for myself been searching for more then 10 years ,but as luck would have it I need the money more then models collecting dust.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I listed the sealed one with free shipping .. this will be my first auction with free shipping.. I will tell you what I paid after the auction are over..Kool? the boxes for both models are like new. They are both on Ebay right now set to start a lil before 8 pm PST. I did reserve auction an a buy it now for both.. Thanks for the kind words Bazinga btw I couldn't beleive what I was seeing when I found then yesterday.. I always wanted them for myself been searching for more then 10 years ,but as luck would have it I need the money more then models collecting dust.

One thing I've been learning recently is to sell items while the getting is good. If you can get $500+ for that one, I would take it. In a year it may only be worth $300 after the collectors that want one all paid their big money for them.

Of course, it's just cool enough and a decent enough subject matter that it could very easily become more valuable over time. It's not like an Little Orphan Annie toy where all of the collectors are dieing off. There will always be monster collectors.

But at the end of the day, what you have is sealed. Rare is rare when it comes to anything. I've got a glassware set that I haven't been able to find another online in the past year and I don't even know how to price it. I don't know if it's a $500 set or $1,500 set.

Enjoying having a true rarity while you have it. :)

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
One thing I've been learning recently is to sell items while the getting is good. If you can get $500+ for that one, I would take it. In a year it may only be worth $300 after the collectors that want one all paid their big money for them.

Of course, it's just cool enough and a decent enough subject matter that it could very easily become more valuable over time. It's not like an Little Orphan Annie toy where all of the collectors are dieing off. There will always be monster collectors.

But at the end of the day, what you have is sealed. Rare is rare when it comes to anything. I've got a glassware set that I haven't been able to find another online in the past year and I don't even know how to price it. I don't know if it's a $500 set or $1,500 set.

Enjoying having a true rarity while you have it. :)
Yeah I wish I could have them longer then I will.. Sucks being broke.. i spent money to buy them I didn't really have to spare but I knew what they was an roughly there value so I had to bite the bullet so to speak an buy them... I already had one bidder pm me 15 mins after auction started an tried to get me to end early at 475.00 but I had to decline cause it would be against Ebay Policies an I or bidder wouldn't have any Ebay protection... About your Glass Diggumup is pretty good with glass maybe he could help ya with a price.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I wish I could have them longer then I will.. Sucks being broke.. i spent money to buy them I didn't really have to spare but I knew what they was an roughly there value so I had to bite the bullet so to speak an buy them... I already had one bidder pm me 15 mins after auction started an tried to get me to end early at 475.00 but I had to decline cause it would be against Ebay Policies an I or bidder wouldn't have any Ebay protection... About your Glass Diggumup is pretty good with glass maybe he could help ya with a price.
I never end an auction early, it doesn't make sense to. I just tell them to put in their best bid and hope they win it. I listed something last week, 10 hours later it had 22 watchers. It was a high dollar item with a $500 starting bid. During the week I had 3 people ask me how much I wanted for it to end it early. I declined on all of them of course. It ended up selling for a good price, but not as high as I had hoped with all the interest it generated and the rarity of it. It only had 3 bids with 38 watchers, go figure.

Bazinga is just as good if not better at glass, but thanks for the props. I think he knows what it is, but just can't find a price comparison to go by for listing it, is that right bazinga? Is it listed in a book anywhere? If you don't know what it is, through me a photo, a fresh set of eyes may help.
And I agree with selling your items while the getting is good. Some of us have learned (and are learning) the hard way not to hold onto to something too long, unless you actually plan on keeping it forever. Sometimes rarity doesn't equate high value.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazinga is just as good if not better at glass, but thanks for the props. I think he knows what it is, but just can't find a price comparison to go by for listing it, is that right bazinga? Is it listed in a book anywhere? If you don't know what it is, through me a photo, a fresh set of eyes may help.
And I agree with selling your items while the getting is good. Some of us have learned (and are learning) the hard way not to hold onto to something too long, unless you actually plan on keeping it forever. Sometimes rarity doesn't equate high value.

You are correct in that I just can't find a price reference for any recent sales online. But I will throw it out there to see if you or anybody else are able to find a sale of it online anywhere.

Fenton Hobnail Opalescent Punch Bowl, 12 punch cups, ladle, and underplate

The punch bowl in itself is pretty rare. It's not the crimped edge one or the octagon shaped one, and not from the 80s like one currently listed. It's an unmarked one from the 1960s(I forget the exact date the book gives it, but the book I have just shows a catalog picture, not a picture of the actual item).

But the real rarity I guess is the underplate.

So since it is Fenton and some of their collectors are crazy, I really have no clue about the value. I've not been super motivated to list it since it's massive and would require at least 3 large boxes to ship it. Not a shipping project for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct in that I just can't find a price reference for any recent sales online. But I will throw it out there to see if you or anybody else are able to find a sale of it online anywhere.

Fenton Hobnail Opalescent Punch Bowl, 12 punch cups, ladle, and underplate

The punch bowl in itself is pretty rare. It's not the crimped edge one or the octagon shaped one, and not from the 80s like one currently listed. It's an unmarked one from the 1960s(I forget the exact date the book gives it, but the book I have just shows a catalog picture, not a picture of the actual item).

But the real rarity I guess is the underplate.

So since it is Fenton and some of their collectors are crazy, I really have no clue about the value. I've not been super motivated to list it since it's massive and would require at least 3 large boxes to ship it. Not a shipping project for the faint of heart, that's for sure.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Creeper.

I think you may be referring to the 1950 blue hobnail opalescent punch bowl set shown in the 1950 catalog, item no. 389 on page 28,- http://www.fentonfan.com/catalog/1950january/1950january.swf

Here is one that sold for $700 in May of 2011 at an auction in Ashville, NY. - Fenton Blue Opal Hobnail Punch Bowl 15-pc set. w/ : Lot 5732 Look at the estimate, lol.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for hijacking your thread Creeper.

I think you may be referring to the 1950 blue hobnail opalescent punch bowl set shown in the 1950 catalog, item no. 389 on page 28,- http://www.fentonfan.com/catalog/1950january/1950january.swf

Here is one that sold for $700 in May of 2011 at an auction in Ashville, NY. - Fenton Blue Opal Hobnail Punch Bowl 15-pc set. w/ : Lot 5732 Look at the estimate, lol.

Almost the same set. But mine has no handle on the punch bowl and is clear opalescent, not blue. I'm back at the house, so I looked it up in my book. It was in their 1953/54 catalog.

No. 3807 15 pc. Punch Set
3827 - Punch Bowl
3847 - Punch Cup
9527 - Punch Ladle
3817 - 16" Torte Plate

I can find it in milk glass, but not in clear opalescent.

$15 on the low end of the estimate is just comical, haha. Where can you get 15 pieces of Fenton for $15? I just looked at the auctioneer for that item. When it comes to Fenton and Carnival glass, it's tough to find a better auction house. It's in the middle of nowhere and the prices they get for items are outstanding. Nearly impossible to buy for resale there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Dig's it's ok you answered his question,but Bazinga could you please start your own post for the item in question? Thank you..
Now back to my item.. the Mummy Model sold less then 1 day for a buy it now 550.00. the auction style bids within 1 days was up to 285.00 3 people bidding.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig's it's ok you answered his question,but Bazinga could you please start your own post for the item in question? Thank you..
Now back to my item.. the Mummy Model sold less then 1 day for a buy it now 550.00. the auction style bids within 1 days was up to 285.00 3 people bidding.
Darn, you must have listed the mummy a little too low for it to sell that quick! LOL.
How did it sell for a buy it now with 4 bids? Anytime I list something with a buy it now price, once I get a bid, the BIN price is no longer in effect.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Dig's I probly got a buy it now with bids cause I used a reserve an that wasn't meant yet... Listed to low? exactly what I thought this morning when I seen the automatic payment in my email... When I first saw the payment email I thought it was spam..lol until I opened it an seen what the payment was for...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig's I probly got a buy it now with bids cause I used a reserve an that wasn't meant yet... Listed to low? exactly what I thought this morning when I seen the automatic payment in my email... When I first saw the payment email I thought it was spam..lol until I opened it an seen what the payment was for...
I got ya, I forgot it had a reserve that makes sense. Yeah, I hate when I list something with a buy it now price and it sells in less than 24 hours. That's telling something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread