in Missoula, Montana an outlaw named
Skinner buried some nuggets and coins taken from
the Plummer gang after the vigalantes came
for them. Can anybody tell me any idea of
which island and who to seek permissiom
from.Montana Jim showed me some maps
on Tnet and that just made it more diffecult but
i appreeciate him trying.
also, thanks ahead for any info from anybody.
\ Jim

CelticJRWAu

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2008
Hi Jimbob450,
I used to live in Missoula. Found a LOT of silver coins in Rattlesnake Park. Many of the coins were Mercury Heads...one was a 1921D down about 5" in EF condition! Below that dime an additional 5-6" and under a tree root was a man's wedding ring with a 1/2 carat diamond! I took it to a local jeweler. He said the ring was well over 100 years old. The gold ring that the diamond was attached was a nice big and fat one with a lot of gold too. It was one of my better finds!
The island you are referring to is on the east end of Missoula. It is well known to anyone there who has lived there for very long. I forgot the name of the island, but a footbridge connects it to the property the University of Montana is on. Way back when, a fair number of early settlers lived on the island (on the Clark Fork River) but during a flood some died. It's just part of a hiking area now. It would be a decent site to check-out. I left there 13 years ago. Maybe there is someone out there with more current info?
Good Luck...If you ever read this.

MT Hunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2009
Missoula, MT
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
CelticJRWAu said:
Hi Jimbob450,
I used to live in Missoula. Found a LOT of silver coins in Rattlesnake Park. Many of the coins were Mercury Heads...one was a 1921D down about 5" in EF condition! Below that dime an additional 5-6" and under a tree root was a man's wedding ring with a 1/2 carat diamond! I took it to a local jeweler. He said the ring was well over 100 years old. The gold ring that the diamond was attached was a nice big and fat one with a lot of gold too. It was one of my better finds!
The island you are referring to is on the east end of Missoula. It is well known to anyone there who has lived there for very long. I forgot the name of the island, but a footbridge connects it to the property the University of Montana is on. Way back when, a fair number of early settlers lived on the island (on the Clark Fork River) but during a flood some died. It's just part of a hiking area now. It would be a decent site to check-out. I left there 13 years ago. Maybe there is someone out there with more current info?
Good Luck...If you ever read this.

i live in missoula and have my whole life. the islad youre speaking of is called jacobs island. it is now a dog park. i have been there a few times with my dogs...often considered hunting it although im not sure of the governing body. i think its considered a city park so would be fair game in that case. The only other significant island on the clark fork i can think of is kelly island on the west end of the city...it is huge though and lots of thick terrain...would take lots of time to sweep that place clean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread