Montgomery, American War of Independence privateer, 1778, off Scotland ?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
There were literally hundreds and hundreds of privateers from America operating at any given time during the revolution.One problem you might find is ships often changed hands,as in a ship would be captured,then recaptured and then captured again.Captured ships were often turned into privateers and added to the fleet of who ever financed the privateering expedition.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, re the above ship does anybody have any details of this ship history and it's loss etc.. ??

I am interested in this ship as I live in Scotland, and saw it mentioned in a book on wrecks here.., but had no other details? Thanks.!

She is listed in the Canmore interactive database as having been lost in Moray Firth at lat. 58N lon. 3W in 1778

I think this is probably an "assumed" location, but I am not sure.

Since you live in Scotland, this site should be right up your alley...it's pretty amazing, actually...Canmore Mapping

I don't know anything about that particular vessel, although a quick Google search seems to indicate there were several ships named Montgomery operating at that time period.

In any event, that aspect of maritime history is not widely known about, at least on this side of the Atlantic.

Here is an interesting documentary on an American privateer shipwreck off of Wales:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread