PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TAKE YOUR DETECTOR TO THE TREES.... UP IN THE BRANCHES, IT WAS AN OFTEN USED TRICK
USED BY OLD TIMERS TO TIE A PIECE OF WIRE OR DRIVE A NAIL, IN A TREEBRANCH IN REACH OF THE GROUND. THEY WOULD HANG A STRING WITH A SMALL WEIGHT THAT WOULD BE OVER AN OTHERWISE UNMARKED SPOT. ONLY DIG WITH A SHOVEL DOWN TO THE DEPTH OF THE SHOVEL HEAD. THEN DIG BY HAND. SOME WILL BE IN MILKGLASS JARS WITH ZINK LIDS, SO IF YOU FIND THE NAIL DROP THE DETECTOR BACK DOWN TO THE GROUND, AND YOU MAY BE ABLE TO PIN POINT IT (UNLESS IT IS IN A LEATHER POUCH ETC...)

GOOD LUCK
:coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eatapeach
Go there many times and also search for single coins. Best of luck to you.

carico80

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my grandpa was a shiner they buried everything near or around their stills

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If'n I were to go loooking for these ill-gotten, cursed, greasy five or ten spots I'd look in the trees,
I reckon. Might be wrapped in PigglyWiggly butcher paper stuffed into a cranny high up in the
first crook. Ladder, no metal or wood detector, necessary.

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
Eatapeach, By Dixieland I take it you live in Bama or Georgia. Now remember good shine takes good water look around any limestone springs in the old still areas. Look for any large flat rocks at or just under the ground in the area of the spring. Alot of people used to and still haul water for their home use up in the hills, my grandparents did in Arkansas for years. Trees can be struck by lightining so not a good hiding place for cash. Look in, around and under old dilapidated abandonded cars farm equipment and old coal pits and piles. Remember a cash stash had to be accessible in a hurry as not to be caught stashing something yet secure enough for peace of mind. If it was me it would be within the reach of a shotgun or rifle shot. Buts thats just me. The Plumber.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would someone please help me with this one?: What is a PigglyWiggly? We don't have them in Utah, and I don't want to take my mind down the road it's about to go down.. I'd rather not to envision a PigglyWiggly ??? :o :tongue3:

Navy Dude

Nov 2, 2011
Lutz Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleetus said:
Would someone please help me with this one?: What is a PigglyWiggly? We don't have them in Utah, and I don't want to take my mind down the road it's about to go down.. I'd rather not to envision a PigglyWiggly ??? :o :tongue3:
Us suthiners get da groceries at da Piggly Wiggly, LOL

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
Cleetus, "PIG'S" is a grocery store chain down south. Now come on with a screen name like that we know you watched dem Duke Boys on the T.V. The Plumber

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
well eatapeach,from my experience, with my grandad in the early 60s,this is how he operated
there were 2 cooks,and the 4 runners,that covered 3 counties,gramps operation,was about a
mile hike up and around the mountain,the runners never came in, the way he went in and out
he couldnt keep a stash at the house,because my grandmother was a postmaster,and the post
office was built in the house,they had a general store across the road,that my aunt ran
IE:the sugar supply,it was 8mile up in the mountains,one way,and 6mile the other side
anyway his stash was under a big rock,that he had dug a hole under,he put the $$ in wax paper
in a canning jar,when he passed away in 66,i went and got his last stash for my grandmother,
it was over 300.00,im sure he had other stashes,i just didnt know where and never found them
a funny thing about 12 yr ago,there was a bad flood from a creek,that was a little over a
thousand feet,from where gramps went in and out to the still,some hikers found $$ dated from
the 60s,after the flood,the whole place was made a national park, about 30+ yrs ago
big rock = 30-40#

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
and we'uns down in bama territory would call piggly wiggly the hoggly woggly. yep we went there too. :laughing9: :laughing9:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CLEETUS,
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT "PIGGLY WIGGLY" IS THEN I WONDER IF YOU KNOW WHAT
A FIREFLY (LIGHTNIN' BUG) IS.

I HAVE A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW FROM UTAH, AND SHE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE TILL SHE CAME TO VISIT US, HERE IN ARKANSAS.

:coffee2: :coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Pawpaw spent time in jail for a kitchen still, feds never found the big still, or it would have been alot longer. I think the still would be as good a place as any to start, but I would not hide my cache where I knew they would find it all in one place, he hide the shine away from his still... Just a thought. Good Luck and HH!!

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, eatapeach... must be an Allman Brothers fan with being from Dixieland....

Get a copy of Karl von Muller's "Treasure Hunters Manual"...both last editions cover this subject... read and think about 'shiners caches... might give you some insight. Best of luck.
Robin

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping the stash was about white-lightning. I was a hankerin i'd have to try sometime, money's good too.
I've heard stories the dudes drink so much cooch they can almost lick their eyebrows clean!
Thanks ya all.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
I have heard that 'shine' was often put in Mason Jars, and by coincidence, paper money was often buried in Mason Jars. :)
Older Mason Jars I have found had a white glass lid held on by a zinc threaded ring. Some Bail lid Mason Jars had a glass dome lid, but the means that held the lid down was of iron wire. Both the zinc and iron closures should react to a metal dectector. And I am guessing that they wouldn't be burried too deeply, so with a good dectector you stand some chance of getting a hit.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
My family were mountain folk along the Pa., West Virginia & Maryland border areas. Some were said to hide their money in or under chicken coops , allowing the squawking chickens to warn them of 4-legged or 2-legged varmints invading their territory. Same thing as barn floors. Another possibility is old stone walls made when clearing the land for plowing. Good luck - so many possibilities.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Did yall hear? Big Lots, Harris Teeter and Piggly Wiggly all merged into one Giant corporation? Yup,
They call em Big Wiggly Teeter stores now ! hare har har!

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
hey dave, sounds like a winner to me. maybe wallyworld needs competition. he he.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the education on the Piggly Wigglies, guys. No, we don't have Piggly Wiggle stores out here.....Never heard of them.... I do know what Daisy Dukes are, though. That's a southern thing, right? I like those!!! :icon_pirat: ARRRRHHH I'm all about the Booty I am. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread