Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper pipe for a moonshine still you say?

Hmmm, I was out sweeping my yard (2.8 acres, mostly wooded) with Ocalasix a few weeks back and we found a length of copper pipe about 1/2 inch in diameter and a foot and a half in length. I wondered what it could be for since to my knowledge there was never a house near that spot. Found a couple lengths of plastic garden hose too. I was thinking some kind of irrigation for crops or cattle, but even that didn't seem likely. Could it be possible that someone had a still and left those items behind?

Lots of places were dumped on when copper wasn't worth scrapping (happened sometimes). 1/2" was LP line diameter.

Still, it could be a still ..............

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Lots of places were dumped on when copper wasn't worth scrapping (happened sometimes). 1/2" was LP line diameter.

Still, it could be a still ..............

1/2" LP gas lines I have worked with had a yellow plastic coating and was softer for bending. Rigid "water" pipe comes in two thicknesses with the same outside diameter.
Some stills actually tapped into natural gas lines . There is a special rig to tap into a natural gas transmission line while in use. Odd facts, By: Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/2" LP gas lines I have worked with had a yellow plastic coating and was softer for bending. Rigid "water" pipe comes in two thicknesses with the same outside diameter.
Some stills actually tapped into natural gas lines . There is a special rig to tap into a natural gas transmission line while in use. Odd facts, By: Frank...

I used to get hired by the local LP gas company to MD their buried lines, and over the years I never saw any yellow plastic coated stuff. I've actually talked to still operators (now dead) that used the same copper tube as that.

685768377245lg.jpg

The rigid copper water pipe x: (Type L (medium wall) Hard Temper ASTM - B88e) I never saw used for stills since it won't bend easily.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the area but haven't been to pond the landowner wasn't home so will try again next week, a neighbor up the road said they will probably let me but he doesn't know the ppl that well but doesn't think they will be any problems with asking them.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They weren't home again but left a note they called last night turns out the woman's dad owns the property she's going to talk with him and get back with me hope he lets me.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the call searching sat 9am around pond but not looking good the Man confirmed my great grandfather's name but said his aunt was married to him and they never heard anything about buried money when he died my aunt had to get a loan she almost lost her house he also said he bought his liquor from someone else so not sure if anything is there.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear with me, there is a book called "Missouri Treasures and civil war sites" by a gentleman named Robert L Tatham. One of his stories about a stonemasons cache that turned out to be a little moonshiner on the side may have some information that you would find interesting on what one alledged moonshiner did. It could actually help your investigative side get a little more fired up and help you see what may already be there.

Just a thought, might be worth finding the book and reading.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across some new info I believe the moneys there but not near pond somewhere near house that's no longer there will have to see if area is still there but lots of land has houses on it now in that area in a few more hours will get to check.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it's there its really hidden or gone alot of land has been developed in the area and around old buildings so much trash and chicken wire ill probably never find it. And the Guy showing me around wanted to be sure I'm done searching before I left on to my next hunt I guess.

DonaldTrump

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2023
Bear with me, there is a book called "Missouri Treasures and civil war sites" by a gentleman named Robert L Tatham. One of his stories about a stonemasons cache that turned out to be a little moonshiner on the side may have some information that you would find interesting on what one alledged moonshiner did. It could actually help your investigative side get a little more fired up and help you see what may already be there.

Just a thought, might be worth finding the book and reading.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!
I believe this is the same booklet that contains 4 sets of numbered cyphers that if broken....leads to a small treasure buried by Mr Tatham himself. If I recall correctly some of the treasure are from the 1715 fleet in the form of gold escudos, silver reales and emeralds.

To my knowledge no one has found it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Well if it's there its really hidden or gone alot of land has been developed in the area and around old buildings so much trash and chicken wire ill probably never find it. And the Guy showing me around wanted to be sure I'm done searching before I left on to my next hunt I guess.
Such a cache might not be found starting with a detector. I think there would have been some marker - on a tree, for example, or a particular pile of rocks and stones. Or? Sudden Wealth shows a photo of a stone birdbath that had a nice recovery in it. Now, I doubt somebody would build a birthbath in the woods - but a prudent person would have marked the spot. Anyone who has buried something and then gone back to look for it understands why.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around homes people where people could set in there home and look out a window they woud set near and could see the outside and they would bury it where it could be seen from there seat. Also they would bury money under a dog house or chicken coop. The dog house and chicken coops are also burgular alrms 11 Good luck and please keep us posted Also i almost forgot use a starter fence post as a place to bury a stash so be sure to check them

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice Gare, I would have said fence post, but the dog house and chicken coops are great ideas of where to look.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around homes people where people could set in there home and look out a window they woud set near and could see the outside and they would bury it where it could be seen from there seat. Also they would bury money under a dog house or chicken coop. The dog house and chicken coops are also burgular alrms 11 Good luck and please keep us posted Also i almost forgot use a starter fence post as a place to bury a stash so be sure to check them
yep any place that can be seen from inside the House,
That they would have an Alternate reason for being there.
Gardening, Feeding the dog or Chickens, repairing a fence post Etc.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gradpa told me how he had a stash buried and he could watch the spot from his living room chair he spent a lot of time in it. people like to be able to watch the spot where they bury there goods

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Copper pipe for a moonshine still you say?

Hmmm, I was out sweeping my yard (2.8 acres, mostly wooded) with Ocalasix a few weeks back and we found a length of copper pipe about 1/2 inch in diameter and a foot and a half in length. I wondered what it could be for since to my knowledge there was never a house near that spot. Found a couple lengths of plastic garden hose too. I was thinking some kind of irrigation for crops or cattle, but even that didn't seem likely. Could it be possible that someone had a still and left those items behind?
Having built a still I can say that 1/2" copper tubing is a bit on the narrow side for stillin purposes. It's possible that someone built a rig with such a narrow line but below 1" ID that could potentially be dangerous to the operator depending on how hot is was driven. 1" is the narrowest advised in that pursuit, over pressure due to insufficient line diameter is a real possibility. The narrowest part on my rig is 3/4" and that's the condenser, I personally wouldn't risk anything below that. If you've never blown the cap off a rig over an open fire the danger there is easy to overlook. You should look around in that spot for evidence of a fire pit or a brick furnace perhaps, stray pieces of sheet copper could be tell tail. Is it near a stream?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread