Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK folks, I was able to expose more of the lettering on the back of that old button I found yesterday. Comparing it with some things on the net, I figured out it says "BENEDICT & BURNHAM". The other word appears to be "EXTRA". It is the variety known as a "flower button". It is gilded. I first had a feeling it was a Civil War era piece, and indeed this button type has been found at Civil War sites.

I looked on Sayler Creek Relics' website and found a very similar button.
From a little more research I found it is probably 1834-1843, and definitely pre-1849.

http://www.saylerscreekrelics.com/leather.htm
Look at item #SCF13.

I am pretty happy about this find! To me, this is even better than a coin. It was only about 3 inches deep in the yard of an old house.

Attachments

• finds-july21-oldbutton-closeup2.jpg
    finds-july21-oldbutton-closeup2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 238
  • finds-july21-button-front.jpg
    finds-july21-button-front.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Flower Button, Many Have Been Found At CW Sites, Mostley In Confederate Camps. trk5capt...

Attachments

• SR186120001281729121.jpg
    SR186120001281729121.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trk5capt said:
Flower Button, Many Have Been Found At CW Sites, Mostley In Confederate Camps. trk5capt...

As a side note, lot of people don't realize that NJ and PA had a number of Confederate sympathizers (Copperheads), some of whom went South and fought on that side. There was a number of Copperheads in South Jersey and also in parts of the coal regions of PA. South Jersey actually wanted to break away from the rest of NJ. To this day a lot of them still resent the north Jerseyans that come down into the pines and mess the place up, and they are rather unhappy about having to be attached to the same state that also houses the counties of Bergen, Hudson, Essex, etc. (You Think I'm Kiddin Don't Ya). History is quite fascinating isn't it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread