more bhid help please

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
Tried my "brand new used" bhid at the farm in the sandy areas today ( my closest beach right now). I set the gb as instructed and niticed I had a little chg in threshold while swithing from all metal and discrim thur out my metal trip . I then noticed the senitivity control was a little touchy /touch it lightly (not chging it mine u) and the threshold would chg. This is my 1st manual gb in a very long tx . Is this a norm for a man GB (my other units are fx'd or tracking md's)?? Help please!!! And How often is best to reset or bal this unit. Thx's
diggstown

Upvote 0

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
i use my BHID mostly at the beach. i cannot tell a difference when i adjust the ground balancing at all. i do the setting of the ground as told and turn that knob every direction and notice no change as i go up / down with it as directed.
so i just keep it at the middle setting and i still find gold,silver and coins and the junk. maybe my switch is broken?? i think that at times. :tongue3:
the threshhold buzz on mine will slowly go lower and i just turn it up higher....when i notice the knob on the threshhold high i`ll flip the reset switch and drop the buzz level down.
this machine is supposed to reset itself after each target so i do not think it`s necessary to "reset " it. plus you can run this machine silently without hearing the buzz -- but i read it works better for you if you hear the treshhold buzz just slightly.
i`ve had this BHID for a year now and learned it pretty well since it is my only detector now. i pretty much keep the sensitivity at the "P" (preset) and the ground at the middle. turn it on to when i slightly hear the buzz and off i go!! don`t feel i`m missing anything because i do find alot on the beach.
good luck............... :thumbsup: .mike

OP
OP
A

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
thx's/ felt like i was miss'n something guess not thx's again/ diggstown

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't ground balance worth a crap, but apparently they don't need to because it runs smooth. Like others have always said there appears to be no difference. When I spoke with the tech at White's he said that this was normal and to just set it in the half way position and it will work find.

Try running in AM mode all the time better depth and runs way smoother. When you hit a target look down at your light if you can see it, if its red move on anything else I switch to disc. and sweep it again. If it nulls out (no sound but a yellow light) I have found it is either a junk hoop earring, pieces of crap trap so I don't dig those anymore.

Horsesoldier

Feb 7, 2008
Remember, everytime you adjust the sensitivity (or threshold for that matter) you have to re-ground balance. Depending on the ground conditions (especially in highly mineralized areas) you may need to reduce sensitivity below preset (see manual page 7). Reducing sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean loss of depth (especially in bad ground). Its the combination between all three settings (threshold, ground balance, and sensitivity) that determine the machines ability to hear a target. If you can't hear the target to begin with then depth is irrelevant. That's why the cancelling out the ground is so important.

Start with these settings and adjust from there:
Threshold: 12:00 (if too loud reduce counter clockwise)
Sensitivity: Preset (or as much as possible until you loose stability)
Ground Balance: 12:00 (leave it at this setting if you can't achieve proper ground balance)

The BHID is designed for a specific use in certain conditions. It may not perform properly outside of its design parameters. Hope this helps.

"Get Your Swag On"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread