jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senate Bill 570 requires everyone transporting metal to get the certificate or risk a fine of up to $1,250

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091228/NEWS/912280306

In Oregon, you now need a permit to even haul the metal. The dealer also takes a picture of you, your car, the metal brought in, and makes a copy of your driver's license

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj said:
jeff of pa said:
Senate Bill 570 requires everyone transporting metal to get the certificate or risk a fine of up to $1,250

In Oregon, you now need a permit to even haul the metal. The dealer also takes a picture of you, your car, the metal brought in, and makes a copy of your driver's license

In Toronto they tried to get us to take pictures of the scrap, owners, two pieces of picture ID, finger print, then download all the information to a Govt. agency that was run by two retired cops. :icon_scratch:
This download was at a cost of $1.00 bared by us.
We went to city meetings many times, along with the pawn shops, second hand stores, and it all ended up with just taking a piece of picture ID.
That's one of the main reason for me selling my company, it was none of my business knowing who people were, collecting information on people wasn't my thing. :headbang:

Good For You :thumbsup:

Unfortunately Here in the US We have no say Really.

It's all For our own Good
Being non of us are Adults :tongue3:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is, How deep in our pockets is Big Brother going to dig for these certificates? Sounds like another Govt. brain storm to suck up cash PERIOD!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the govt wants to know if your making any income thats not being "reported" --once its "recorded" that you sold that scrap metal --they simple check that record vs your income taxes filed --if they do not "match up properly" guess who the IRS will be visiting very soon -- its really simple folks track every means of earning income possible --(including sell scrap metals) thus recording all that income , then tax it. --ah your gubbermint at work --gimme , gimme , gimme

oh and about that "hobby" you do ---coin rolling --you folks selling that "silver" you found ?--are you reporting that "income / gains" from selling that silver to the gubbermint ? if not you too might get ready to see the tax man from your freindly IRS --thats why they are watching the cash flow --

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
the govt wants to know if your making any income thats not being "reported" --once its "recorded" that you sold that scrap metal --they simple check that record vs your income taxes filed --if they do not "match up properly" guess who the IRS will be visiting very soon -- its really simple folks track every means of earning income possible --(including sell scrap metals) thus recording all that income , then tax it. --ah your gubbermint at work --gimme , gimme , gimme

oh and about that "hobby" you do ---coin rolling --you folks selling that "silver" you found ?--are you reporting that "income / gains" from selling that silver to the gubbermint ? if not you too might get ready to see the tax man from your freindly IRS --thats why they are watching the cash flow --
scrap? what scrap? :dontknow: :dontknow: silver? never found any silver in a roll :icon_scratch: I never made more than 36 cents in a year with my detectors ::) ::) ::)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes but did you declare that 36 cents as "income"? --cuz the grubbermint wants to know yer bussiness --so they can tax it

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jeff for the info. In our state of Ohio, they have implemented a program where if you don't get your vehicle sticker on the month that it was due up, you get hit with a $20.00 fine. now, it just makes sense that if you fail or forget to sticker that vehicle in the month that it is due up, you might run the risk of getting pulled over and having to find a ride home. in my case i've got a couple of old classic 70's honda motorcycles and the stickers are due up this month. In the past, i've never went and got stickers for them until later in April. Mainly because i'm self employed in the lawn care business and i'm on suck fumes until the lawns get going again. Now unless i want to get hit with about $40.00 worth of fines later in April, i've got to dig deeper and pay now. I realize that for a good amount of people, it's no biggy, unfortunately for me it kinda' is. As i have been preaching to anybody who cares to listen over the years, the little guy gets hurt in so many ways financially. Sure, we'd all like to have the kind of money and the jobs that go with them, but the reality is we can't all be wealthy and have high paying jobs. The more pencil pushing that these people sit down and do to raise more money, the more erosion we are going to be seeing financially from about the middle class on down....

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
If Oregon is doing it then Washington can't be far behind.

In WA if you don't licence a car for a given period of years you now have to jump through a bunch of hoops. It ain't that many years either. Not sure how many, happened to a good friend.

Jeff

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
jeff of pa said:
pepperj said:
jeff of pa said:

In Toronto they tried to get us to take pictures of the scrap, owners, two pieces of picture ID, finger print, then download all the information to a Govt. agency that was run by two retired cops. :icon_scratch:
This download was at a cost of $1.00 bared by us.
We went to city meetings many times, along with the pawn shops, second hand stores, and it all ended up with just taking a piece of picture ID.
That's one of the main reason for me selling my company, it was none of my business knowing who people were, collecting information on people wasn't my thing. :headbang:

Good For You :thumbsup:

Unfortunately Here in the US We have no say Really.

It's all For our own Good
Being non of us are Adults :tongue3:
Sorry, but this is a "cop out". We do have a say. Sadly, most of America has simply bowed down to the nanny in D.C. Freedom is not free and it will not simply materialize at your doorstep someday.

Speak up and get involved. Ask Senator Brown if the people have "no say".
Dan

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
that is going to suck for us who use scrap metal to suplement our fixed incomes. I don't make much on scrap metal enough for groceries and gas for the month maybe a little extra but surely not enough to get rich. They do that here and I am stuck.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the article:
"If a person is stopped by law enforcement and doesn't havethe certificate, it would benecessary to prove ownership of the metal as a defense against any possible penalties."

Ve vant to see your papers.
All for the good of the people right? Another case of being guilty until you prove your innocence! >:(

Why not work on a way to create jobs (in the private sector, NOT government) and many of the thefts will stop as those people will have jobs. The government spends WAY too much time looking for more ways to regulate us and take from our wallets!

darkkitten2000

Feb 26, 2009
Kal nad Kanalom
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, Miner4, eeTH, ETI561
Damn, and i sought i live under a communist regime. Our brainmasters copied security/supervisors to walk around an gather information, maybe we ware shooting at the wrong enemy in the last war, if this will go on there will be another soon, guess people shall find the way to say no. Luckily i am a chemist, an occupation with a bright future (apperently) in a times of reccesion.

regards,
d.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960 said:
that is going to suck for us who use scrap metal to suplement our fixed incomes. I don't make much on scrap metal enough for groceries and gas for the month maybe a little extra but surely not enough to get rich. They do that here and I am stuck.

Control or power of the dollar? I understood that China wouldn't take U.S. money, they wanted to be paid in scrap metal..

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/casings.asp

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
remember what japan did to the USA with all the "scrap metal" we sold to them just prior to WW2 breaking out -- does anyone remember pearl harbor ?

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Could be SWR, I don't know. But I'm sure taxes also has something to do with it as well. All I know is that I'm gonna be mighty miffed if I end up getting a 1099 for the 200 lbs of copper pipe I pulled out of my basement when I had to re-plumb it. Money gained from selling something that was paid for and taxes paid on 50 years ago should not be taxable again. But I guess that's where the term "capital gains" come into play. I'll have to take the difference between what I get for the pipe as scrap, and what was paid for it at the time the house was built, and pay the tax on the difference. It seems like you need a freaking accounting degree to do anything in today's money grubbing environment.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigwater said:
Could be SWR, I don't know. But I'm sure taxes also has something to do with it as well. All I know is that I'm gonna be mighty miffed if I end up getting a 1099 for the 200 lbs of copper pipe I pulled out of my basement when I had to re-plumb it. Money gained from selling something that was paid for and taxes paid on 50 years ago should not be taxable again. But I guess that's where the term "capital gains" come into play. I'll have to take the difference between what I get for the pipe as scrap, and what was paid for it at the time the house was built, and pay the tax on the difference. It seems like you need a freaking accounting degree to do anything in today's money grubbing environment.

I'm wondering about your issue.... I thought that the IRS allows you to have one garage sale a year, and thus don't have to report that as Income.... Cleaning out house/garage and selling whatever you have to sell ought to get covered.... don't you thing? ;>)
Bill

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I dunno. Like I said, you have to have an accounting degree to know what you can and can't do any more. I'm not in any hurry to sell the copper... it's just sitting in a pile in my basement. I'll just figure it out when time comes to sell it.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
A little late chiming in on this but scrap laws do NOTHING to deter crime. Some worthless crackhead could sneak into your back yard and steal a bag full of steaming dog poo and find a buyer for it somewhere. Where there is a will there is a way and trust me when I tell you, NO ONE has more will than a druggie.

Picture this: Washington state (my home) New law enacted requires any non ferrous metal purchase over $30 be paid for in check after 10 days.

PRE LAW: Druggie goes out, steals 4 alloy wheels out of your shed and takes them to scrap yard A. You realize a day or 3 later you wheels are missing. Being the worldly fellow you are you immediately think DRUGIES!!! and start calling scrap yards looking for your wheels. Scrap yard A says, you know what? I do think we had a set of alloys of that description come through here. Depending on the yards policy you may or may not recover them (you local law enforcement agency can sometimes help grease that wheel)

POST LAW: Druggie goes out, steals 4 alloy wheels out of your shed and takes them to scrap yard A, B, C, D (1 each) because 2 wheels would put you over the $30 limit you see. Now when you call around you are looking for a set (which stands out to a scrap yards as they don't see a lot of SETS) while the villian has split them up effectively making recovery impossible.

Thank you Washington state for protecting me from the thieves and druggies, wait... you didnt help me at ALL! All you did was make it harder for me to recover my property.

But wait you say, won't it keep and honest thief honest? You know the type, crimes of opportunity guys?

How about this: The $30 law only applies to individuals. I am a 'professional' scrapper. I have a business license, I own commercial vehicles. I also typically buy my scrap as I do not deal in a couple wheels, anything short of a medium duty truck load is a waste of my time to take into town. How am I supposed to keep buying material to recycle if I am waiting on checks? I don't have to. All business are exempt from the law. Simply put your business info on file.

1. There is now a paper trail for every single dollar I make in scrapping/recycling. Is that somehow stopping the thieves? (although the 2 yards I do the most business with have both told me they have never been asked to report purchase info to the state outside of a criminal case.) The vehicle for taxation does exist.
2. ANY crackhead with $40 can get a Washington state business license. Granted, he would have to put down the glass pipe for 10 minutes to fill out the paper work, but the only thing between the 'thieves' and daily work/daily pay is a $40 business license.

So you tell me? Method of preventing theft, or method to track what has essentially been an untaxed sideline or fulltime income or many people since at least the era of WWII?

End Rant :)

-Lance

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
SWR said:
Greetings Lance, and welcome to the jungle :hello:

I wonder if there are any on-line stats showing the before/after.

I know that in my area of Florida, the construction theft has cut back drastically
i think metal dropping to half of what it was worth, is what dropped the crimes to half. i don't think criminals care about any stinkin laws

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
well i say that refering to catalytic converters.... for instance when large gm's were worth 180.00 each thieves were popping them off cars like mad.
but when they dropped during the most recent depression to around 70.00 dollars each it almost stopped, wasn't as tempting
now there back around 110.00 each watch out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions