More bones from the Figginses

figgins diggins

Aug 3, 2008
Hills
Well my son and I had been unable to go searching for a while, but got out some last saturday. It was a beautiful day in our part of the woods. We didn't exactly tear 'em a new one, but we found some cool stuff and saw some beautiful scenery. Most importantly, we spent the day together. Any help on fossil identification would be appreciated. Still haven't heard any opinions on what some of this stuff may be worth. Are appraisals just completely taboo in the fossil collecting world or what? May not be as easy to nail down as a silver coin, but I am confident there are some opinions out there somewhere.

Enjoy the pics, and thank you in advance for any help. We will be back!

Attachments

• three teeth.jpg
    three teeth.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
figgins diggins

figgins diggins

Aug 3, 2008
Hills
that last picture is a large section of jaw with three teeth. some of the largest we have found. this next picture is one of three good size bones we found this trip.

Attachments

• bone a pic 1.jpg
    bone a pic 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 243
OP
OP
figgins diggins

figgins diggins

Aug 3, 2008
Hills
this is a picture of the "elephant trunk bone" thus named for its similarity to such in my opinion. Found a pair of these within just a few yards, the other of which was in not so good a shape.

Attachments

• bone b pic 1.jpg
    bone b pic 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 248
OP
OP
figgins diggins

figgins diggins

Aug 3, 2008
Hills
here are a few shots of another jaw we found saturday. We have found many whole jaws, sections of jaw, and teeth. We have not positively identified the largest part of our collection. We suspect that many of them are deer, horse, bovine( some old some not), but we also suspect that some of them belonged to long extinct animals. Maybe someday I will post pictures of all of them here. Maybe there is a jawbone identification site somewhere here on the net, but I have yet to find it.

This one is a good canidate for the very old category, as it has some good dark coloring(most the younger bones seem to be light in color) and it is fairly heavy, but brittle. The younger bones are almost always lighter too, but I don't think that color or weight are always proof positive of age when it comes to vertabrate bones.

But anyhoo enjoy and holler out if you know what any of this stuff is or any of it is worth picking up!

Attachments

• old jaw.jpg
    old jaw.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 246

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread