More buttons than bottles!

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
I finally got to dig the third privy hole at my neighbors. This pit was pretty close to the house probably the oldest. The small rectangle shaped bottle was the only one intact. The ribbon seal bottle was on the bottom of the hole. I thought it was intact only to find the pontil broken into the bottom. I glued the piece back into place and it looks fine. It's my oldest bottle of the year. I found the buttons in the slop when I filled the hole in. The nice broken bottles include 2 Dr. Townsends Sarsaparilla's, Good Game flask and a small shell shaped perfume. These people were hard on their bottles. The stoneware pieces are all locally made and the porcelain looked early as well. I am planning on digging some local pits back out and metal detecting the dirt in them. It is hard to say what I have missed over the years! Better luck next time! Thanks for looking! DD.

Attachments

• privy metal.JPG
    privy metal.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 389
  • bottle shards.JPG
    bottle shards.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 400
  • porc. shards.JPG
    porc. shards.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 397
  • pottery shards.JPG
    pottery shards.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 404
  • von pein & med.JPG
    von pein & med.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 391
  • von pein shoulder.JPG
    von pein shoulder.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 399
  • von pein base.JPG
    von pein base.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 391
  • shell perfume.JPG
    shell perfume.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow..... you certainly are at an old spot....many years ago when i ran with a group that did a lot of privy diggin there was this old man who used to ran the bottom foot of soil through a sifter...he used to find nice coins that way....

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
oooooo boy! That bottle with the deer on it would be worth a pretty penny if it weren't broken!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a hell of a privy right there. I sense that black glass wrap-around seal is super rare, but I am not too good at the early stuff.
DiggerDave thanks for posting this! :o

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a great post showing the tendency not to throw away perfectly good bottles, way back in the day. This is the curse of the early privy diggers. >:( I guess some of these pieces date to the 1840's. That is a really nice little clear perfume, never seen one clear. Nice work DiggerDave :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread