Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting close to the reassembly process.I’m guessing a swivel cannon ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605996352.307184.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605996368.125655.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1605996383.659934.jpg the little gun is cool too.nothing is clean yet and I’m beat.Took some serious labor getting those beasts off the hill.
Thanks for looking.

Upvote 19
OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first found the barrel piece I talked to our town historian .he had never heard of a skirmish or a cannon explosion.He didn’t seem convinced it was a cannon barrel either.I also went to fort stanwix the archeologists there thought it looked like a cannon but hadn’t herd of any cannon explosions either.so I kept hunting and finding pieces but have started my own business and now have less time to hunt.But now after finding what I believe to be the epicenter everything is changed.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first found the barrel piece I talked to our town historian .he had never heard of a skirmish or a cannon explosion.He didn’t seem convinced it was a cannon barrel either.I also went to fort stanwix the archeologists there thought it looked like a cannon but hadn’t herd of any cannon explosions either.so I kept hunting and finding pieces but have started my own business and now have less time to hunt.But now after finding what I believe to be the epicenter everything is changed.

If you know where the epicenter is and weigh each fragment and mark their locations out of a map you might be able to use physics to get a general idea of where the missing pieces are. It won't be an exact science, but the sum of the forces equal zero. At least it may tell you where the remaining large fragments are not.

I'm a bit surprised we don't have an approx date on the gun yet.

Looking forward to your recovery of the remaining fragments!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the military experts here (and esp CannonballGuy who seems to know everything about these things :notworthy:):

1. There must be enough of it now to determine at least what era it is from. Do we have a ballpark figure on age?

2. Do we know the caliber? (pardon me if this is the wrong term for a cannon).

3. Is there a way to determine whether this was intentionally plugged and long fused or whether this was an accident?

4. If it was fired and exploded in anger and we have a ball park age, based on it's location in upstate NY, do we have a list of candidate battles in which it may have exploded?

Thanks for any insight. Very interesting thread for sure.

1. There needs to be better pics for me to ID... to me this is a three pounder as far s size as it appears in these photos.

2. Again 3ish...

3. No... no way to ever tell this.

4.... :/.... anger ? ? ? and it would not have been done in "anger" as much as strategically.

PS...

I for one have not tried to "deduce" this for I am waiting for Joe to just find the other trunnion... which will more than likely be marked IF... repeat IF it is a REAL cannon...

Reproductions can and do also have all of the above found items...

I wanna see A touch hole.... which I have yet to see.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. So *if* it is real and a three-pounder, do we have a date range of when these might have been in service?

What I mean by "in anger" is fired in battle and the cannon exploded unintentionally. I agree that firing a plugged cannon to blow it up would have been done strategically

1. There needs to be better pics for me to ID... to me this is a three pounder as far s size as it appears in these photos.

2. Again 3ish...

3. No... no way to ever tell this.

4.... :/.... anger ? ? ? and it would not have been done in "anger" as much as strategically.

PS...

I for one have not tried to "deduce" this for I am waiting for Joe to just find the other trunnion... which will more than likely be marked IF... repeat IF it is a REAL cannon...

Reproductions can and do also have all of the above found items...

I wanna see A touch hole.... which I have yet to see.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are we talking Rev War, Civil War, pre-, post- for this style gun (his I mean)?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say... I really would like some "closer" better detailed pictures.

Wanna see that touch... if the pieces are there.

This cannon could be anywhere from a 3 pound grasshopper (rev war) on... but I cannot enlarge photos and very little "detail" is visible in these.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say... one thing that strikes me is the bolts... they are "carriage" style in length.

canon001.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to be the "skeptic"... :)

There are just a few "flags" on this ... I need better photos ... close ups of any details to begin with.

Obviously other pieces of this puzzle are missing.

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can post better pics when I get home from work this evening. I appreciate skepticism and the input I’ll do what I can to curb AARC’s growling at us.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I can post better pics when I get home from work this evening. I appreciate skepticism and the input I’ll do what I can to curb AARC’s growling at us.
ARC is fulfilling a role, his questions are ok

a thought, if your pieces are heavy or from the bottom half, they were possibly blasted downwards
the other pieces may be farther afield
good luck

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just take in all angles... before deducing a shape. :)

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to go out for a few hours today.I believe I found a few cannon related items .The square nuts are cool.I found one today and one last hunt.
I thought I’d walk right over to the spot I went last hunt and pull out a trunnions or the elusive touch hole.But for now the hunt goes on. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606445575.080357.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606445614.128825.jpg what’s this ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606445691.805030.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606445706.455820.jpg thanks for looking.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey but you did manage to find a toilet pull chain :)

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather is looking iffy from here on I might not get out again.I did however find another nice chunk of barrel ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606793915.111534.jpg some more big iron junks,and whatever that bar thing is with the holes looks like it had a bad day ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606794089.003760.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606794121.285760.jpg I included pictures of the barrel dig it was straight up and down (tough dig) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606794212.342016.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606794226.510991.jpg and here’s my garbage haul ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606794277.395598.jpg thanks for looking.I’m hoping to get everything together and post on what is it forum.I think I can get an overall length now.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome to hear you found another piece. Love the sled for hauling your junk out of there :laughing7: Approx what diameter circle were all the pieces so far contained in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread