Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More Civil War brass I didn't know I had

Hey all! Picked up a couple more bullets from the worked over construction site, along with this iron piece. It looks to me like a tent stake, any thoughts on that?

My best find lately came out of my scrap bin. A while back I had found a shoulder scale pan, which sat in my scrap bin for months until I saw one posted on a forum. Well, I had a bit of a deja vu moment when I saw a smaller brass piece posted online, which I also dug in the same field as the shoulder scale. It's the turn-key attachment for the shoulder scale. Cool! Here's a pic of some non-dug scales and how they were used.

There's a lot more story and additional pics on my blog. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• BULLETS1.JPG
    BULLETS1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 104
  • turnkey.JPG
    turnkey.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 100
  • scales.JPG
    scales.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! You will want to look for the bar piece too (which is not pictured with the scale in your photo above). It was a thin piece of brass roughly a centimeter in height and an inch and a quarter in length with two bends in it (see my last photo below). Also had holes punched in it for sewing it into the garment like the "mushrooms" did that you have pictured above. I call these "shoulder scales," "scale buttons," and "scale slides" respectively, since the thin piece was made to secure the end of the scale. Photos of all three pieces are shown below:

scales.jpg scale_button.jpg scale_slide.jpg

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome, thanks buckleboy! I don't recall seeing the other piece, but going through my scrap one more time won't hurt :D

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool saves , and relics HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread