More Civil War Goodies

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here is the rest of the relics from DIV as promised. These are mostly my iron relics with a couple exceptions:

McClellan Saddle Brass--This gave off an awesome solid +70 on the MXT and was the first good signal that I dug at the hunt. Below is a picture of a McClellan saddle and I have put an arrow on the piece that I found to get a better picture of what it is

C-Ration--In the upper righthand corner is the bottom of a C-Ration Can. This was one of the first canned food items and was eaten by the Union soldiers....and the Confederate when they whipped up on the Yanks and took them from them (J/K) :wink: :D This is the bottom piece that contains a sliver of lead.

Cannister Shot--Upper Center--Cannister shot has a heavy crust of dirt and I believe it may have been in a firepit at some point in time.

Eagle Stirrup?--This piece is very interesting. If you look at the pic below you will see that it very clearly has an eagle head on it. I am not sure at this point if it is a stirup or not

Boss Bit--Bottom--This Boss Bit was recovered at my Civil War site here at home but I have not pictured it so I threw it in. It is a nice save and you can see by the iron that it wouldnt have survived much longer

Iron Relics--A couple harness rings, a Civil War era knife blade, a couple whatsits including a whatsit looking piece with to hooked shapes, part of a skeleton key
MD pics 175.jpg MD pics 176.jpg McClellan Saddle.jpg MD pics 173ed.JPG

AND....

A whole pile of Cannonball fragments. These fragments are from 12lbers and 10lb Parrotts and maybe even a piece or two of Read shells. These were not dug but were actually given to me by a buddy who was going to get rid of them. I told him that I would take them. This was at DIV so I thought I would picture them. There are quite a few fuse end pieces with the threading.

MD pics 177.jpg
MD pics 178.jpg

Also as promised...the inside shot of the Spencer lock plate. You can clearly see the 'guts' including the tumbler.
MD pics 181.jpg
MD pics 182.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Civil War Goodies

Once again I had the good feeling about the DIV hunt Josh....Sweet recovery's my man,Should be a great collection of Frag's when you're done with them......nice job on the Cannister shot too bud!!!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Nice pieces Josh! 8) Bet Gypsy would trade her iron relics for yours. :wink:

"C-Ration--In the upper righthand corner is the bottom of a C-Ration Can. This was one of the first canned food items and was eaten by the Union soldiers....and the Confederate when they whipped up on the Yanks and took them from them. This is the bottom piece that contains a sliver of lead."

As if they didn't get enough lead in their diet. :P

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stoney56 said:
Nice pieces Josh! 8) Bet Gypsy would trade her iron relics for yours. :wink:

"C-Ration--In the upper righthand corner is the bottom of a C-Ration Can. This was one of the first canned food items and was eaten by the Union soldiers....and the Confederate when they whipped up on the Yanks and took them from them. This is the bottom piece that contains a sliver of lead."

As if they didn't get enough lead in their diet. :P

HAHAHA LOL Stoney :wink: :wink:

K

KirkTN

Those are some Cool Relics. It does look like an eagle on the Stirrup/? piece. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Holy crap...

I need to move east...

That was a great freaking post! Damnit... :-*

Thanks my "brutha" You are the man. You would have loved it there! There were a TON of Eagle Buttons dug over the weekend including a General STAFF Eagle with the stars around the edge of the button!!!! HH

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh,
Thanks for the post & pictures. You really know your stuff. That saddle piece I would have guessed as a keyhole cover. It's neat to see what it was actually used for. :thumbsup:
Looks like you have enough electrolysis to keep you busy for awhile.
Great job,
MM

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You never cease to amaze me with your Civil War recoveries. I just know that you will be excavating more at your rasearch sites. :wink: :thumbsup:

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread