Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good friend and hunting partner Dan and I got in another couple of short 1/2 day hunts at our new colonial site recently. This place is continuing to produce finds from the mid-1600s to the early 1800s, and has been especially hot on buttons as we've dug nearly 150 between us in about 16 hours of hunting there. But after digging 6 colonial coins in our first 2 trips we've been skunked in that department the last 2 outings. Yesterday it was starting to get a little harder to put our coils over a keeper, plus the ground was a little on the funky side and played a few tricks on us. In spite of those difficulties I got lucky and pulled a first for me by recovering a complete and undamaged 17th century latten "trifid" spoon complete with maker's mark from about 14" down. These style spoons were generally manufactured between 1650 and 1700, but I believe this is an early one. I was reading in my reference book ("Old Base Metal Spoons" - thanks Casper!) that up to 1660 only a mark in the spoon bowl was used, and thereafter 2 or 3 markings were added on the back of the stem. Since my spoon doesn't have any marks on the stem I'm going to assume it dates to about 1650-1660. The maker's mark is one I've seen before with the 3 spoons(?) or lobes along with the maker's initials "SN". According to my book the original list of latten spoon makers was lost many years ago so there's no way to ascertain the maker's name. Regardless, I'm very happy with this find and it's probably the best recovery I've made at this site so far as it's a rare feat to dig a complete trifid spoon. Dan and I also spent a while yesterday probing and digging a little more in the pit that produced some large milk pan shards the last time out, and a nice mallet bottle spout was recovered yesterday as well. We believe the area sloping away from the huge debris field is a broad and shallow dump with no real concentration of trash. But with a little patience and hard work I'm sure we can make some nice random recoveries from this area.

Attachments

• 021114a.JPG
    021114a.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 021114b.JPG
    021114b.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 021114c.JPG
    021114c.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 263
  • 021114d.JPG
    021114d.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 021114e.JPG
    021114e.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 270
  • 021114f.JPG
    021114f.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 021114g.JPG
    021114g.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 14

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the complete spoon, Bill! I know almost all "silverware" is hard to dig undamaged and yours luckily turned out nice.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great find/s, I'm still looking for a spot like that.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the spoon there Bill,really came out looking good man.Yep that's rare to find one in one piece.I guess you know about these sites here were they talk a little about that makers mark.Kinda of a odd spoon being it has that flat handle but no rat tail on the back of the bowl.
http://www.pewterbank.com/Spoons_..articles..13.pdf
Pewter at Colonial Williamsburg - John D. Davis - Google Books

Thanks Pete. The spoon does have a few unusual characteristics, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Appreciate the links ..... Bill

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pete. The spoon does have a few unusual characteristics, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Appreciate the links ..... Bill
Yep it's a nice one Bill,after reading your site you posted I guess they started making that kind around 1663 & the first ones did not have the rat tail I guess.I always had it in my mine that after the straight handle ones like my spoon mold they all had the rat tail.I've got a few whole spoons but there made from pewter very heavy,& heavy made.They don't show very often.
Take Care Man,
I've got about four guy's now that wants me to take them hunting so I'm going to have to get off my butt one of these days.:laughing7:In my book I think something like this belongs up top myself as it would be one of the first of it's type & has the age factor going for it.But like a lot of other things I've seen on here most don't understand.Until you told them to go dig one here in the states.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the complete spoon, Bill! I know almost all "silverware" is hard to dig undamaged and yours luckily turned out nice.

Actually Matt, most/all of these spoons had a silver tinning added after manufacture so they were technically "silverware". I can see a few traces of the tinning on my spoon if you look very closely and in the right light. But I like the green patina just as much.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - Awesome Find!

For those who search out for colonial-period finds, the recovery of a complete latten spoon (seal top, trifid, cone knop, etc.) is a real accomplishment that few can ever claim. That's a great specimen - heavy, clear markings, not a scratch. Congrats! It's enough to drive my crazy with jealousy amid all the snow and frozen ground up here in New England. Perhaps I can take a bunch of my latten spoon fragments and glue them all together, disjointed or not, for a Frankenstein-type restoration!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
29k.gif similar to mine 24.jpg

Top Member Reactions