More Colonial Finds Today

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ticks seem to be decreasing lately as the woods get drier. No rain here for a stretch. I still spray down my rubber knee boots with Sawyer's, then spray the rest of me with Deep Woods Off Dry. The deer (black biting) flies are relentless. You can kill them easy but they keep on coming. The Deep Woods Off works for some time, then I have to spray more on. It's a pain, but I'm not getting chewed up and getting my hunting in.

I like finding shoe buckles and buttons as they are personal objects and signs that I'm probably close to their home sites. The pewter button I found today is heavy and thick. Typically I find brass ones. The small brass one was a good 10" deep. My Nox 800 drives me crazy with its ability to locate cut nails at depth, but the trade off is finding other good stuff deep. In the Field Program I that I usually run, the cut nails and spikes pull in numbers up to the low 20's so I'm digging a lot of them because good targets also hit this range. I also found this silver plated copper container and wonder if it was used for something like tobacco. Also pulled up two horse shoes in the 10" range. These are my 5th and 6th shoe buckles. This is the thinnest one I have found so I'm guessing a woman's.

I probably have over 50 hours in the field with the new Nox 800. I really like it and am getting a good feel for it. I think I'm noticing a good target rather than a nail will give a stronger audio signal. More defined and sharp. Today the machine played a great trick on me. It suddenly powered off with half battery life. Tried a couple of times to restart it and the screen would flash Cd then go off. As it turns out the coil connection at he handle had worked loose. I was surprised because I had firmly screwed it on but was careful not to over torque it when assembling. I'm finding my Profind 35 is acting spastic so today I took my White's TRX in the field. But that also acted quirky. Using fresh batteries, but maybe some cross-talk with the detector.

tres91.jpg tres92.jpg tres93.jpg

Upvote 17

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats! Don't have colonial finds here!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt. You seem to have the same weather/ticks/deer fly/nail problem as me.
Exceptions are is Your button is very nice, the container is great, I'm using the HF coil on the Deus.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Estima8tor

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE : Nokta Simplex+ WHP : Minelab X-Terra 705 : XP MI-4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's probably the nicest Tombac I've seen come out of the ground ever. Congrats.....

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice stuff. Always cool to see the colonial era stuff that is unearthed! Nice tombac that thing looks almost new!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread