More colonial goodies, first fatty 1864 IHP, + some more

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really starting to slow down at the Colonial site as you can tell by this post. This might be the last hunt for awhile at this site. But hey it still popped out some goodies. Cant wait to get on some new dirt, if I can find some.

Some how I got a bangin' signal coming in real nice and this nice flat button popped out. We don't get many actually definite signals at this site anymore. Reads "Treble Gilt Stand (little D) Col" first time I've seen a back mark with the abbreviated standard colour.

IMG_4477.jpg

Dug a 1901 IHP and this 1864 Fatty IHP was actually dug last time and i think i posted it but i wasn't exactly sure what it was. By far the most crusty coin I've ever found. I was just able to remove enough to see 1864 and the head dress of the bust. My oldest ihp! Its in terrible shape but still cool. Also dug another bag seal from the coast. Doesn't look like anything on it.

IMG_4478.jpg IMG_4479.jpg

This broach looking thing is interesting. It looks like there is some gilt on it and this little thing under it in the pic looks like it was attached on there somehow. Not sure if any one can ID this at all. Looks to be decorative either way. This piece of porcelain was dug in the same hole, not sure what it originally said on the mark. Maybe someone can get it.

IMG_4480.jpg IMG_4481.jpg

and the rest...Found this lead sinker and at first i thought it might have been a CW era one made from a minnie ball but now i doubt that. Still looks old regardless. The buckle looks to be maybe turn of the century to me, because of how it is constructed and how it saws top on the back of it. Feel feel to refute that age estimate. The piece of pottery looks old. I can't remember what this type is called but i think its 1700's and it is pretty thick. Let me know! And finally, a pretty cool bottle. Its only from 30's to 50's or so but it came out of the mud fly intact and the embossing is interesting looking. I think i might start putting all the IHP's in there as a display.

IMG_4482.jpg IMG_4483.jpg IMG_4484.jpg IMG_4485.jpg IMG_4486.jpg IMG_4487.jpg IMG_4488.jpg IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

Upvote 12

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! :occasion14:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny, 1864 was the first IHP I ever dug as well- and an important year for Virginia Military Institute. That was the year the cadet corp fought and turned the battle of New Market (my avatar picture). Nice digs Stef on to new dirt

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds-I sure wouldn't complain about those. The pottery shard is combed slipware, definitely 18th century.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be slowing down but that's still a good haul. Nice finds!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds-I sure wouldn't complain about those. The pottery shard is combed slipware, definitely 18th century.

Actually starts in the 17th C to mid 18th, so could be really early.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, it is a nice feeling to See those fatties come out of the ground!

It was too crusty when it came out i didn't know for sure but it was fat so i was holding hope for a fatty hip. Pretty cool it being my first one i was excited.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually starts in the 17th C to mid 18th, so could be really early.

Thank you! Yeah i had a feeling it was colonial for sure just with its thickness and I recognized the pattern from other posts and things I've read. We find a ton of pottery and porcelain at this site but this was one of the bigger pieces I've dug.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be slowing down but that's still a good haul. Nice finds!

Yeah i mean I dug a first for me so i can't complain too much, just puts into perspective the things we were finding before and how good those were. Thanks!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff. Love the glass container--nice shape. Congrats. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff. Love the glass container--nice shape. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Thank you! Yeah that container is not an old one but sometimes when they are in that good of shape and have cool embossing i just gotta keep um.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread