More estate points, ID needed

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 1920', early 30's my uncle worked for the Power Company, on a surveying crew that was siting dam sites in the Northern Sierra Nevada high country. My educated guess makes me think these could be from Plumas county, or possibly Sierra or Nevada counties. This is just a guess on my part, but I packed mules in the high country of Placer and El Dorado Counties, and never found a point like these, but there were small power company dams on those hight country lakes. He told me he found an arrowhead at least every day, just hiking down the trail from their camp to the location they were surveying. In those days he didn't bother to keep broken points.
1RA.jpg
2RAB.jpg
The above two photos are the same point.
1RAC.jpg
1RAD.jpg
Again two sides of the point, which is the same size at the first one.
1RAE.jpg
These are also from his collection. The one on the left is more like what I found further south, but in the high country.
Anyhow I'm interested in finding out particulars if anyone has any ideas. I wonder if on the serrated points if they were using that to hold poison on the point?

Upvote 0

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If from California they look like a Gunther Barbed / Oregon has a serrated point called a CALAPOOYA in the Gunther Cluster also . The side notched point in the last photo looks like a Redding Side Notched in the Desert Side Notched Cluster .

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i believe your uncles story all the way. When I used to hunt NV (not BLM mind you!) i figured to find about a point a day too.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i believe your uncles story all the way. When I used to hunt NV (not BLM mind you!) i figured to find about a point a day too.

I hear you, I used to find lots of points in Nevada, not one every day, but after a rain, I did quite well. It was an 8,000 acre deeded ranch with 250,000 acres of BLM turn out. But the arrowheads were all on both sides of the river on the deeded land. Found a lot of them when horse back, I expect because I covered more ground. The soil was real sandy, and there weren't any rocks large enough to kill a snake, so a guy tended to double check everything. I think that's why I'm not working for that outfit today, because I always kept my eye to the ground instead of looking at the cows.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for the answers, I have a couple of more posts when I get the time. Still curious what the Indian fellow had in mind when he made the serrated points. He must have figured they worked better, or it was hold poison on the tip, but I have no idea.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems if that serration does not maybe stick better in the wound to cause a bleed out on such a large animal. What do you think?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I hear you, I used to find lots of points in Nevada, not one every day, but after a rain, I did quite well. It was an 8,000 acre deeded ranch with 250,000 acres of BLM turn out. But the arrowheads were all on both sides of the river on the deeded land. Found a lot of them when horse back, I expect because I covered more ground. The soil was real sandy, and there weren't any rocks large enough to kill a snake, so a guy tended to double check everything. I think that's why I'm not working for that outfit today, because I always kept my eye to the ground instead of looking at the cows.

high desert is like beachcombing the worlds largest beach...and the 100 degree heat is no problem when you have 0% humidity. (drink water even if you ain't thirsty so you wont die of course!)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I too would call that one a CALAPOOYA...pretty classic at that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread