Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I managed to get out three times in the last few days, but this is the first time I've had the chance to post. I've been going back to the old hunted out park, not really expecting to find anything, since several people in town have told me its hunted out <coughliarscough>

Well, Monday of last week I managed to get out for about 30 minutes or so and found some clad and an ID bracelet with a very thick chain. The mark on the back says its 1/20 kt on sterling. Any idea what this means? I called the guy, whos name was on the bracelet, and asked him if he wanted it back. I told him I was not looking for a reward, I just wasn't sure if it had any sentimental value for him or not, and that is why I was calling. He said no, keep it, and hung up. Oh well, I tried.

Then on Wed. of last week, I again got out for a little longer this time, about an hour. Started out with the usual clad, then found what appears to a button, like from a coat, but has the 7UP logo on it. It appears to be an older logo that was used maybe in the 40's or 50's, although I am honestly not really sure. Next find was a 1941 mercury dime with full split bands on the back, and a very nice scratch, thanks to my trowel, followed but some more clad. I just knew there had to be something older then 1940's and 50's silver there, as I had found two indian heads on previous visits. My next hit proved me correct. A 1906 Barber dime. Not a rare one, but being on the east coast, I am going to mostly find the Philadelphia mints, and hardly anything from Philadelphia is rare. Nice shape though, and Barber dimes are quickly becoming my second most favorite coin to find, right behind Indian heads.

Well, lastly, I went out last night, and searched the same area where I found the Mercury and Barber last week. Gah, not even have I hunted out the areas of this park that I have hunted in so far, as I found another Barber dime. This time a 1908 and in XF condition. Full rims, full liberty, full everything. Just a little dirty. But absolutely beautiful. I guessing I missed it before because it was completely surrounded by junk signals that blending together. I also got a 1950 Candian nickle and some more clad. The nickle was an odd signal. For some reason, all the Candian coins come across odd. They all tend to disappear when trying to pinpoint. And the nickle kept bouncing from 91 to 84 to 54 to 21 and in random orders. 17-27 is nickle range on the XLT and its odd because the 1950 Canadian nickle is made with nickle.

Well, I plan and doing my best to turn this park into an officially hunted out park. I will keep you posted with hopefully lots more finds.

Anthony

Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great Finds!! 1/20 kt on sterling means its made out of sterling silver but plated with a layer of 1/20 thick gold plate. Any pics of the button, could help ID it.

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jake, thats what I figured about the bracelet. My scanner is currently out of commission. As soon as I get it back up and running, Ill post photos.

Anthony

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I went back this past Friday. Brought my four year old with me, and despite his begging me to take him with me so he could help dig, I think he really just wanted to play on the playground. So I did not get much digging time in but we did manage to find a 1954 Roosevelt dime and a small amont of clad, before he talked me into pushing him on the swings and catching him on the slide.

I did, however, mange to get out of the house solo lastnight, and hit the park again for about an hour. Did not find any clad this time, but did find two older wheat cents, a 1917s Mercury dime, that I know I have searched over at least three times, as its in an area where I worked a grid. Last find was walking back to the car and just swinging randomly, got a good hit at 7 inches down. It was dark, but I felt lucky in this hunted out park, so I dug it. Its was too dirty to tell what it was, but I could tell it was thicker then a Lincoln penny. When I got it home and washed it up, it turned out to be an 1880 Indian head.

To date, the tally of coins reclaimed from this hunted out park is three indians, 1880, 1896 and 1906, two barber dimes, 1906 and 1908, four Mercury dimes 1917s, 1941, 1942 and 1945, one 1954 Roosevelt dime, one 1943 Washington quarter, and one 1952 Franklin half, not counting the wheats and clad. And I have not even put a dent in hunting this park.

Anthony

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I've noticed my XLT gets better and deeper signals if the ground is moist and not very good in really dry ground. You might try the same ground after a good rain. I really like the XLT. HH, Mike

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Okay, let's be honest here. I think it's about time we retire the moniker "The Hunted-Out Park" and offically change it to "The Park Formally Known as The Hunted-Out Park." ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread