More Finds From The Old Woods - 1841 Seated Liberty Dime & 1842 Large Cent

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
More Finds From The Old Woods - 1841 Seated Liberty Dime & 1842 Large Cent

Since finding the 1778 Spanish 1 Reale last Friday, I've been back in the woods a couple of times and hadn't found anything of note - until today! First, let me give a little background on these woods. They are divided just about down the middle by an abandoned road that the town closed off about 20-30 years ago. One section of the woods is the western half and the other is the eastern. According to the town old timers there were a few houses in there up until the 1950s. These houses probably dated from the late 1800s. All that remains are the cellar holes and they are in the Western section. It was in the western section where I found the 1 Reale and where I've been blanked the last couple of times back. Today, I decided to go back to the eastern half where I found the 1780s Nova Constellatio Copper, the 1894 Barber Quarter, the C1820-30 Navy button in VF condition, the 1803 Kettle coin and the 1864 counterfeit dollar. After about 45 minutes of hunting I get a strong penny/dime to quarter reading and came up with an 1842 Large Cent. Ten minutes later and only about 15 feet from the large cent, I get a decent penny/dime reading and I came up with an 1841 Seated Liberty Dime in fine condition! This is my first Seated Liberty Dime and only my second Seated Liberty coin. My first was an 1850 half dime. Needless to say I was really psyched; the headphones came off and for a couple minutes I was just staring at it and saying Yes! Yes! Also found a musketball, two buttons, a buckle, and what appears to be an escutcheon pull.

Attachments

• seated1.jpg
    seated1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 814
  • seated2.jpg
    seated2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 845
  • seated2a.jpg
    seated2a.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 809
  • seated2b.jpg
    seated2b.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 805
  • seated4a.jpg
    seated4a.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 819
Upvote 0

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Re: More Finds From The Old Woods - 1841 Seated Liberty Dime & 1842 Large Cent

What an exciting group of finds there. WTG....... ;D

GL & HH,

DugHoles

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG!! sweet :)

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congratulations
till waiting for my first seated dime.

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.

Nice finds. I haven't done much detecting with the heat dry ground an work but your finds have me getting out 3 times a week after work. its good to see a fellow long islander doing so well. I hunt close to you. I'm still detecting 2 old farms in lake grove. I haven't had the great finds like yours but your finds keep me excited to keep on going back .Keep up the good finds.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT FIND and congrats. Hope there are more in the future... Haven't found a Seated coin yet but I just found my first Barber Dime today. 1 day I'll find a SEATED coin.. good luck and HH

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOKFISHER how many keeper coins from these woods this year ? It sounds as though you are getting quit a few...

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Awesome finds the BF!! Congrats.
Good luck on return!!
Thanks for sharing these!!

Smiles!
BDoo

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
DesPlaines_IL_Bob said:
GREAT FIND and congrats. Hope there are more in the future... Haven't found a Seated coin yet but I just found my first Barber Dime today. 1 day I'll find a SEATED coin.. good luck and HH

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOKFISHER how many keeper coins from these woods this year ? It sounds as though you are getting quit a few...

Here Are MY Keeper Coins So Far:

1778 Spanish 1 Reale
1780s Nova Constellatio Copper
1803 Kettle Replica or Game Marker Coin
1841 Seated Dime
1842 Large Cent
1864 Counterfeit California Gold Dollar Coin
1894 Barber Quarter
1902 Barber Dime
1920 Buffalo Nickel
1937 Mercury Dime
And Two or Three Indian Head Pennies (Can't Remember The Dates)

Also In The Keeper Case:

C1820-1830 US Navy Button In Extremely Fine Condition
C1900 Admiral Dewey "Welcome Our Hero" Souvenir Medal
C1920 Knights Templar Medal From Syracuse New York
Very impressive year so far.... Congrats

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

SWEET!! That half dime is awesome. WTG!!

99Brown

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

Wow! Great digs! That Seated Dime is a beauty as well is the Large cent.
You have a hot detecting site there.Keep up the good work.Hunting a wooded area is no simple task.I can only imagine the difficult terrain that you must encounter out there.The recoveries that you've made so far are just fantastic.Congrats! HH!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

groundfisher said:
Wow! Great digs! That Seated Dime is a beauty as well is the Large cent.
You have a hot detecting site there.Keep up the good work.Hunting a wooded area is no simple task.I can only imagine the difficult terrain that you must encounter out there.The recoveries that you've made so far are just fantastic.Congrats! HH!

Hi Groundfisher,

Believe it or not, the terrain is not really that bad. It's kind of flat, and there are open areas, where there is only leaves. Other areas do have twigs and branches that make it a little harder. Also, I've been doing a lot of woods hunting in the past year, so I guess I'm used to it. I've hunted this place pretty hard lately and the good signals are getting hard to come by. Yesterday, my hunting buddy (first time he's hunted this site, due to the fact he gets poison ivy real bad) and I spent about three hours in the Western section. Rob did real well, he found a 1920 Walking Liberty half dollar and I found a cheap, circa 1950 Mexican silver ring with a small turquoise stone and a small sterling silver perfume bottle lid that is a bit mangled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread