Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in November I got a trail camera because I was curious about what animals live around my yard. I thought it would be fun to see what animals show up at night. Anyways, I have been surprised to see many animals appearing each night. Some nights I will get many animals, with videos or photos of foxes, opossums, raccoons, and skunks all in one night sometimes. I have done some posts about it before, back when I was just starting to use it. I figured that I will post one recent photo from a few nights ago, which I thought looked cool. I have been experimenting in different ways to put the camera up. I get cool results when I put the camera very low and a piece of bread a few inches in front of it. I love doing nature photography, and think this is a cool way to get some easy photos of animals I would normally not get photos of with my regular camera. Funny thing is, I have still never seen any animals near my property except birds and squirrels, even though every night there are so many animals that come which I never see.
STC_0011.JPG

Anyone else have a trail camera, or any cool photos from it they would like to share.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found out you can get flashes that fire a preshot laser that lets the camera focus and lights up the critter:) I got an off brand system for really cheap and even one flash would work well on a DSLR they cost about 80bucks. The canon and Nikon flashes are hundreds of dollars but these knockoff brands do the trick sometimes for cheap and have the laser thingy:) I wouldn't mind a trail cam myself they are pretty cool as you don't have to sit around waiting. Here is a pic of a trash panda I took with the cheap knockoff flash. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461026565.859800.jpg

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found out you can get flashes that fire a preshot laser that lets the camera focus and lights up the critter:) I got an off brand system for really cheap and even one flash would work well on a DSLR they cost about 80bucks. The canon and Nikon flashes are hundreds of dollars but these knockoff brands do the trick sometimes for cheap and have the laser thingy:) I wouldn't mind a trail cam myself they are pretty cool as you don't have to sit around waiting. Here is a pic of a trash panda I took with the cheap knockoff flash. View attachment 1301509

That would be cool for my d5200, as it is really hard to do any focusing in the dark with it. I will look into that, Thanks and really cool photo!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1301526
Be sure and keep an eye on the pets

Over here coyotes are the big threat to pets. I have only got a coyote once on my trail cam, and it was back in January, he only just walked by and sniffed where a fox had been. The whole place where my two goats and chicken live is above ground, locked at night, and fenced in. Probably pretty hard for most predators to get in. In the 10 years of raising chickens, I only had 2 issues with predators. Unfortunately, all of them could have been prevented. My favorite silkie chicken was killed by a hawk a few years ago, when we kept her in the yard unsupervised when there were hawks around. One of my hens was also killed by a fox a few years ago too, when I forgot to lock my chickens in that night (Easily preventable, and I'm lucky that just one was killed).

Here's a screenshot of the video of the coyote I got on the trail cam, a warning to be careful letting my dog out at night.
coyote.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We have security cameras outside. One of the cameras was hidden in a driftwood fence. Was hilarious to watch our cat climb up and sit there. Off of that same camera, we also saw lots of deer, the neighbor's cows (the reason we put it up to begin with!), and even Whippoorwills. They're a dang-ugly bird, but they can catch bugs in near total darkness! Used to watch them for hours when they'd use the pole in front of the camera as their base. It was great to see a bug fly by, then the Whippoorwill would suddenly jet out and snatch the bug. ...Never got tiring!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have security cameras outside. One of the cameras was hidden in a driftwood fence. Was hilarious to watch our cat climb up and sit there. Off of that same camera, we also saw lots of deer, the neighbor's cows (the reason we put it up to begin with!), and even Whippoorwills. They're a dang-ugly bird, but they can catch bugs in near total darkness! Used to watch them for hours when they'd use the pole in front of the camera as their base. It was great to see a bug fly by, then the Whippoorwill would suddenly jet out and snatch the bug. ...Never got tiring!

I think with the new flash systems that enable something called "high speed sync" you could get amazing bird/bat pictures in flight because they come by and eat the bugs around a light at night. I remember before I was into photography watching a bat circle a cabin I was at and pick off bugs. Now I would setup a camera with two flashes and prob 800sec shutter, maybe higher and I think maybe I could get something cool of a bat grabbing a bug in flight with a little patience:)

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When in the USAF and working night shift in the Communications Center, bats would come in through the top. Another Airman got an old squash racket from the Rec Hall and we kept track of Bat Kills - I was champion! ...Hey! You try sitting in a 10x12 room all night, LOCKED IN, and then have bats (sometimes multiples at once) come in. I promise, you're gonna be swinging!!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in November I got a trail camera because I was curious about what animals live around my yard. I thought it would be fun to see what animals show up at night. Anyways, I have been surprised to see many animals appearing each night. Some nights I will get many animals, with videos or photos of foxes, opossums, raccoons, and skunks all in one night sometimes. I have done some posts about it before, back when I was just starting to use it. I figured that I will post one recent photo from a few nights ago, which I thought looked cool. I have been experimenting in different ways to put the camera up. I get cool results when I put the camera very low and a piece of bread a few inches in front of it. I love doing nature photography, and think this is a cool way to get some easy photos of animals I would normally not get photos of with my regular camera. Funny thing is, I have still never seen any animals near my property except birds and squirrels, even though every night there are so many animals that come which I never see.
View attachment 1301473

Anyone else have a trail camera, or any cool photos from it they would like to share.

I'm workin' on some tonight!! I borrowed my son's trail cam to catch the deer eatin' my wife's flowers....I caught an 'ol grizz tryin' it out to see if it works.
003.JPG ....damn....I may have to cap him!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
**kcm tries to picture T.C. placing a cap on the grizzly bear's head** Mummy - Copy.gif

Attachments

• HELP! - Ice Age - Copy.gif
    HELP! - Ice Age - Copy.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 135

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I found out you can get flashes that fire a preshot laser that lets the camera focus and lights up the critter:) I got an off brand system for really cheap and even one flash would work well on a DSLR they cost about 80bucks. The canon and Nikon flashes are hundreds of dollars but these knockoff brands do the trick sometimes for cheap and have the laser thingy:) I wouldn't mind a trail cam myself they are pretty cool as you don't have to sit around waiting. Here is a pic of a trash panda I took with the cheap knockoff flash. View attachment 1301509

That raccoon is probably thinking, "who you calling a trash panda" and probably saying, " can't even take a crap anymore with out ending up on something like TreasureNet".

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trail cameras are cool , you never know what you might get a pic of------ bigfoot.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread