More goodies...."Nomad" mode

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the the park that keeps giving the other night and tried out the non motion audio discrim mode on the Deus. Went straight to the area that has been turning up deep coins since Day 1 and followed the instructions on how to set up the program...I must say the potential is astounding - started to get a number of really faint hits, and would try and push the coil deeper into the grass to listen for the "rise in tone" indicating a non-ferrous target.

First planted a 7" dime underneath a plug to test out the sensitivity...I was sure that in the 4khz motion mode that it would be no problem - turns out the signal was a little scratchy at that depth, but the Nomad (NOn Motion Audio Discrim) mode picked up the dime no problem but there was something else a little offset that interfered with the non ferrous dime.

I'm a lazy typist and "Nomad" rolls off the keyboard a lot easier than "Squealer"...but I hope you get the idea :laughing7: Ged gets credit for the squealer moniker!

Found an empty area of ground to calibrate the Sensitivity, and got it working and very responsive after about 2-3 minutes of adjustments. You get to where the threshold hum is a little mid-pitched and this is when your GB readings, the actual GB value (independent of the detector), and the "Tune" are all set correctly. This however requires nearly constant "retuning" and rereading of the indicated GB value to keep at optimum performance. I see why it's hardly used, but I also see the possibilities!

Found one coin that night solely with Nomad mode that I couldn't hit with 4 khz motion...it was a 1920 Wheat at around 8" or so, and when I pushed the coil deeper into the grass to get a ferrous/non-ferrous reading the tone stayed the same. With ALL iron objects I tested and with most foil targets the tone DECREASED in pitch. This one sounded just slightly different, but most importantly it did not decrease in pitch.

10-5-15 009.JPG

Watching Ged's videos really turned on a few light bulbs for me - he used it for a long time when starting to use the Deus, and I really think this mode should be learned at all areas that have been "hunted out" you will really be surprised on how deep it will pick up targets....

After finding the one Wheat I switched over to the regular 4 khz mode and started finding Indians. We had just received a lot of rain and the ground was now pliable enough to dig in those previously rock-hard areas. First Indian was a nice 1892, then a 1893 Indian showed up. Then came a little scratchy signal and at the magic 8" mark came a nicely detailed but pitted 1915 S Wheat!!! I was in coin heaven, I knew just around the corner was silver, but it wouldn't be....

10-5-15 014.JPG 10-5-15 016.JPG

I was approached by a couple police officers right after finding the 1915 S Wheat who were very courteous and professional. They told me the park was closed, and in my excitement I forgot that it does indeed close at midnight - I had stayed a few minutes too late...one of the officers then told me that actually digging coins in the park is prohibited, per city ordinance so-and-so.

"You can detect all you want, and items just beneath the grass and on the surface are OK, but digging inches-deep damages the grass" he said. Not wanting to argue with him one bit, he went on before I could reply and said that he knew someone who was hard-core into detecting, and had a similar encounter with him a couple years ago. It's OK to look for a lost ring or something like that if was lost days ago, but digging under the grass was forbidden....

I showed them how I carefully cut a "C" shape into the grass, fold it over, and then go after the coin - I was using my towel and the whole 9 yards - but city code is city code and who am I to go against it? I think one of them was about to write a ticket for "grass damage" he pulled out his flashlight and looked around a bit but couldn't tell where I'd been...8-) I showed everyone (4 officers at this time) everything I found so far...all the foil, nails, whatsits, and coins and they were impressed with the Indians for sure.

No wonder I was finding stellar coins....shame on me for not reading the code in its entirety, but evidently this place has been hunted to death within the first 6" or so. I remember finding exactly 4 masked coins that were not at the level of the older, pre-1920 drops - now that technology has caught up with these deep coins and now that several machines out there are capable of seeing these, it really a shame to know the potential but then to get shut out like that - probably one person several years ago found a deep coin and then came back carelessly and wrecked it for everyone...usually how it goes.

The leading officer was sympathetic after I showed him the loot, and suggested I go to City Council and apply for a permit, if no permit could be made then at least show the right people in order to grant a permit - he was keen on having me show them how a deep coin recovery was made without long-term damage. I'm sure the grass is "shocked" around the "C" area for a short time, but long-term recovery of deep metal is good for root health. So one day I will plead my case for "seasonal metal retrieval" - obviously in the wetter months it would be easier on the grass and my hands...not to mention a little moisture helps with deep targets too.

10-5-15 006.JPG 10-5-15 007.JPG
So it seems for now this place is off limits...:BangHead:

Guess I should count my blessings - I could easily have gotten a huge ticket for just being in the park after hours...but the good part is that if and when I do get a permit - those other deep coins will be there!:hello2:

Last pictures are a tribute to what's come from there so far:

10-5-15 022.JPG 10-5-15 019.JPG 10-5-15 020.JPG

Last edited:

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Very nice coin presentation Taylor! You earned every single one of those coins. That's a shame about the park--I do hope you follow-up with the city and end up with a permit--you've already proven there's more to be had there. If there's a gold coin in that park (and I'm sure there is :-), then going after a special permit will be worth the effort. Best of luck out there!

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny I didn't find a single silver quarter - those are much easier to detect and this reinforces my theory of the park being hunted to death probably starting in the 1960s up until maybe 5-10 years ago....

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's funny I didn't find a single silver quarter - those are much easier to detect and this reinforces my theory of the park being hunted to death probably starting in the 1960s up until maybe 5-10 years ago....

Taylor it looks like you had a great place to detect. Nice going! Most people are not as thorough as you are when it comes to detecting a site.

You just never know what you might find. I was at a old house site a couple of weeks ago that I'm pretty was a virgin site before I showed up. I was finding dozens of wheat pennies and most were dated in the teens. Most were found only 1 to 2 inches deep in the hard clay soil around a huge oak tree. I also found a couple of buffalo nickels and some neat relics, but no silver coins other than a single war nickel. Why some site are loaded with silver coins and some are not is a mystery to me.

tabman

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds but doesn't surprise me. The XP is a crazy good machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread