More kayaker finds.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you think this is?

Okay, I mentioned in my “buffalo teeth” post that kayaker found something very unusual Sunday, something that we’ll again need help indentifying. This was found along a newly eroded river bank near one of the buffalo skulls and we have no idea what it is. There was just a portion of it exposed and more intact when found but it pretty much fell apart as it was being removed from the sand. He’ll search the area again for more pieces as the river level continues to drop.

I’ll be completely embarrassed if this is something common and very easily identified but I’m totally clueless as what this is.

Attachments

• What1.JPG
    What1.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 581
  • What2.JPG
    What2.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 572
  • What3.JPG
    What3.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 565
  • What8.JPG
    What8.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 550
  • What7.JPG
    What7.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 564
  • What6.JPG
    What6.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 562
  • What5.JPG
    What5.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 571
  • What4.JPG
    What4.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 574
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, I knew it wouldn't take you experts long to point me in the right direction. And since a horse mandible was found in the same area, it should have been something that considered. Knowing what to look for helps.

Attachments

• Mandi3.JPG
    Mandi3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 506
  • 800px-Pliohippus_Pernix.jpg
    800px-Pliohippus_Pernix.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 800px-Megahippus_mckennai.jpg
    800px-Megahippus_mckennai.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 702px-Equine_evolution.jpg
    702px-Equine_evolution.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 510
  • Mandi3.JPG
    Mandi3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 502

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
I'm not real good at horse skull's, it look's a little odd to me, the ones that I have found and seen and looked at, looked slimmer and not as bulky if that makes sence. You guy's how old do you think this one is ?

beaverhat

Apr 22, 2011
The rear portion of the skull looks like that of a bear, very round and with a high brow ridge, Definately not a horse...are you sure the pieces fit together? What state are you in?

krovert

Greenie
Jul 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the posts of the kayaker finds good info, has he found anymore?
How about Indian artifacts? I'd bet there are some in the area he is kayaking.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
beaverhat said:
The rear portion of the skull looks like that of a bear, very round and with a high brow ridge, Definately not a horse...are you sure the pieces fit together? What state are you in?

beaverhat thanks, this stuff is being found in ND. I don't know if you saw them or not but I did previously post a number of his finds http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,413919.0.html and yes this is all from the same animal. It was mostly intact, but very fragile, when found. I thought it might be bear also but I don't think bear have teeth like this. I'm also fairly certain it's not horse. I know this is a very basic comparison, but it is much wider than the lower horse mandible that was found.

Attachments

• Horse Mand.JPG
    Horse Mand.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 224
OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
krovert said:
I like the posts of the kayaker finds good info, has he found anymore?
How about Indian artifacts? I'd bet there are some in the area he is kayaking.

Thanks krovert, he has found some more skulls and pieces of, but nothing as nice as what's already been posted. So far he hasn't found and Indian artifacts while kayaking but that may change as the level of the river drops back closer to its normal summer time level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread