goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well they've gone and done it yet again. Two more monuments to nothing have been put in place by presidential order. One of them is in the Bear Ears area in Utah (Aprox 1.2 Million acres) near the four corners region and the other near Gold Butte outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. (Amount of land grabbed unknown at this time)

Now I'm not sure my thinking is right on the Bear Ears area, but much of that land belongs to the Navajo Nation. (Key word here is NATION!!) This is a sovereign nation belonging to the Navajo People and is NOT BLM land. Wouldn't this sort of be like a U.S. President grabbing a chunk of downtown MOSCOW and turning it into an American National Monument? :icon_scratch: ???

Public lands belong to the people NOT the government and as such the people should have some say in how they are used. Every time another "Monument" goes up, miners as well as many other users of these public lands end up being locked out. Removal from mineral entry, road closures and other restrictions are just the start of keeping people out of lands that belong to all of us.

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a PDF link to the text of the 1906 Antiquities Act.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gglMAE&usg=AFQjCNE-QQLnMHUTIPin1TpeWkvOxTlTQQ

It don't seem right to me to define a parcel of land as a "monument". I used to install headstones, I think I know the diffence between the monuments and the cemetery.

I thought a "Monument" was supposed to be dedicated to an individual or event of special note. Using the term Monument to grab land and lock up access to it is just wrong. These are lands that belong to ALL the people of this country. As such, shouldn't the people have some say in what happens to them? ??? Seems that the Forest Service, EPA, etc etc etc are not the only parts of our grubberment that are out of control. Seems like your garden variety gold prospector should be added to the ESL right along with the Sage Grouse, Spotted Owl and Yosemite Yellow Frog.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read section two of the antiquities act of 1906, you will see that the Pres. is not granted the authority to seize such a large tract of property.

Sec. 2. That the President of the United States is hereby authorized, in his discretion, to declare by public proclamation historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States to be national monuments, and may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected: Provided, That when such objects are situated upon a tract covered by a bona fied unperfected claim or held in private ownership, the tract, or so much thereof as may be necessary for the proper care and management of the object may be relinquished to the Government, and the Secretary of the Interior is hereby authorized to accept the relinquishment of such tracts in behalf of the Government of the United States.

There it is in plain English. The Sates should sue.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read section two of the antiquities act of 1906, you will see that the Pres. is not granted the authority to seize such a large tract of property.

There it is in plain English. The Sates should sue.

Everyone knows our government is corrupt, and they are catching on to that but realized (like cables companies) so what? No one can / will do anything about it.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one can / will do anything about it.

Not with that attitude you won't.

It ain't my state or my land so I don't have standing to file a case. If anybody in Utah or Nevada is affected by this new "declaration of monuments" involving land being declared a a "monument" they should file suit. A monument is an object, building structure or maybe a landmark. Land around a monument may be taken but the antiquities act says of land taken- "limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected".

The antiquities act is about conserving objects. Not properties. If a tract of land can be delared a monument then the entire earth could be commandeered for her protection. This administration ain't using a broad interpretation of the law, they are flat out ignoring the law in this instance.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions