mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I tried something a little different this time. I thought I would be smart and use the "slo-mo" video toggle on my IPhone because I rationalized that if the video was in slow motion, then the still shots would be easier to catch. I'm not so sure they were and to me, the still shots were not as crisp as normal video shots. It could have just been because of the light conditions though. Who knows? :dontknow:
I still came away with several decent shots.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 44
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 8a.jpg
    8a.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 42

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is both really cool and REALLY scary at the same time. I was killed TWICE by lightning in the same year back in '89. You don't get much unluckier than that folks. Fortunately, I didn't stay dead obviously and kept all my fingers and toes. The worst of it was that my fillings were welded together to where I woke up in the hospital unable to speak. They initially thought I had brain damage and called for a CAT scan only to realize some time later that I just couldn't open my mouth.

A little tip for you all as well. You really do recognize that you are about to be struck right before it happens. It isn't the hair standing up on your neck or anything like that, it is just this sudden feeling that something really heavy is about to fall on your head. In both cases, I felt like that and was just able to tense up and wince right before being hit. They say that when you feel that way you should immediatly bend over and put your butt in the air....safest way to get struck. If you ever had the same sensation (many of you likely have), you were damn close to being hit and got very lucky.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great images and information about lightning strikes from a survivor. Kudos to both of you. :icon_thumleft:

I remember sitting on the bench during a baseball practice in the early 70's when a storm was approaching. I and another player noticed the straight red hair on a third players hair actually rise up and stood out from his head like someone rubbed a balloon on it. We chuckled about it (kind of nervously) as the hair slowly lowered back down.
But I've always assumed we were lucky and came close to being struck. I have always thought it only needed the right static spark to set it off!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you we Ok after the two lighting strikes. Thanks for the information. :occasion14:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures! It is interesting to note that several of the bolts are from the same portion of the cloud formations. Thanks for posting them.

Milspec6: Glad you are still with us after those two experiences. I can understand how the pictures would be scary to you!

OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ArfieBoy:

Yes when I was taking the videos, some of the lightning bolts would start out as a single strike and then burst into several scattered bolts or vice versa. That is why several of the shots seem to originate from the same area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread