More Mercury BS

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SHASTA LAKE – Shasta Lake provides water to Sacramento and the crop-rich San Joaquin Valley more than 300 miles to the south.
It’s California’s largest reservoir and considered a jewel by anglers — many unaware of the mercury in the lake and in the fish they catch.
Mercury, a legacy of the Gold Rush, has worked its way into the food chain of Shasta Lake, with levels beyond what is considered safe by the Environmental Protection Agency, state tests have found.
Yet no advisory has been issued to people who fish the lake, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Sunday.
Change may come this summer when officials at the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, the state’s lead agency for environmental health risks, begins re-evaluating 2007 state tests to determine whether the reservoir’s game fish pose a danger to human health.
Officials could decide to list an advisory in the booklet given to all anglers who obtain a California freshwater fishing license, and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation could then consider posting warning signs along the lake.
Methlymercury limits set by the EPA for safe eating are 0.3 milligram per kilogram. Data from the 2007 state tests reveal bass with levels just under 0.5 milligram per kilogram and catfish at more than double the limit.
By comparison, testing of rainbow trout from 2002 and 2006 shows safe levels between 0.1 and 0.2 milligram per kilogram. Brown trout, a commonly eaten predatory fish typically higher in mercury than rainbow trout, could prove to be the deciding species as officials decide if fish in Shasta Lake should be listed as contaminated.
“That’s why we need more testing,” Brodberg said. “We don’t like to issue an advisory for one fish. We like to have at least three species of fish and nine samples of each of them.”
Runoff from sites once active with gold mining is the main source of mercury in the lake. Gold mining requires mercury, and there are many shuttered mines around the lake.
The widespread practice of gold panning is most to blame for leftover mercury in streams that feed into lake, said Jay Thompson of the Shasta Historical Society.

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scientists find a way to reduce mercury in wetlands | The Sacramento Bee

Two more methods that makes Mercury inert and removes it from the food column. They are called coagulant approaches. This bit is interesting from the article;

"Although promising, the coagulant approach is also challenging due to high costs, said William Horwath biogeochemist at UC Davis. He said there may not be enough political support to pay for a plan that still leaves mercury in the riverbed."

Seems to me we would compliment and finish off their program quite nicely. Especially when the coagulants group together the mercury into larger masses or clusters of elemental mercury that make it virtually impossible to "grenade" into a zillion little pieces which is one of the lies they use to shoot us down now. I also think we would be more than capable of dispensing the coagulating salts as an additional part of our operation, cutting their costs significantly. Common sense solutions to a common problem.

Makes me wonder if the Sierra Fund was aware of the USGS's work and study on this before they started writing the suction dredge ban. Oh yeah who worked for the USGS, that is on the SIerra Fund's board? If this new approach could be made into a viable productive and cost effective solution it would turn TSF's entire program into useless scrap paper ripe for the recycle bin!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the complete study papers but cannot publish,reproduce,forward or post as ungodly ramifications. Same messages on FS emails from project leaders now.Great read though as same players again Alpers,Fleck and others....but anyone can read them on my computer as nothing stated about that hahahah and they think they know about endruns around bs restrictions-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Make me wonder what they're trying to hide when they put "do not publish" on what are essentially public documents. They were generated by a publicly funded agency after all. If they don't want it made public for some reason, don't write it down on paper or in an e-mail.

Start up a new account John and make it look like it belongs to Alpers. THEN post the he77 out of it!!!!!!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make me wonder what they're trying to hide when they put "do not publish" on what are essentially public documents. They were generated by a publicly funded agency after all. If they don't want it made public for some reason, don't write it down on paper or in an e-mail.

Start up a new account John and make it look like it belongs to Alpers. THEN post the he77 out of it!!!!!!

There is actually a hell of a lot of this going on. They claim these are internal studies done by their "experts". If that is the case, then all of these "studies" DO NOT count as the best science available as they have not been peer reviewed. They are simply an opinion of the individual researcher or researchers as the case may be.

I said it before and I keep saying it, If we want to win this war, then keep acting and destroying the science behind this.

Considering the USFS and the BLM with there complete lack of management ability, I have serious doubts about ANY research they conduct internally and either refuse to publish or have peer reviewed as that suggests a whole lot of bullsh!t science.

Maybe I need to talk to my legal counsel about some FOIA requests concerning certain internal studies done here.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Then they need to be released so other scientists can review the findings. Peer review is the only thing that is going to keep these guys honest.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! Yet another example of the big green money machines "Alarmist Journalism". Spreading fear across the land in an effort to advance their agendas. VERY poor reporting with no effort made to check facts BEFORE publishing an article. Who owns that worthless rag of a paper now? They should be cited for creating unfounded public fear. Freedom of the press is NOT a license to spread lies.

" The shooter had a 9mm Heckler and a Koch MP9."

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sent them a letter asking for a retraction or correction. Stated how their inaccuracy and irresponsible actions effect the battle that we find ourselves in. Typical of how we as a society deal with F'ups these days- I got no response or acknowledgement from them. The fact is even if they do submit a retraction, folks don't read the retractions so the damage has been done. I'm not gonna waste anymore time on these folks as their not players in the game, just misinformed idjits that were given a public voice for a day, but man does it Pizzzzz me off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread