Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Of Today's Finds!

I also found this mano sitting about three feet off the ground on this rock. I wonder if it was laid there by the user. It just seems like an odd place to leave it.

Folder # 3 006.JPG Folder # 3 011.JPG

I also found this good-sized scraper.

Folder # 3 005.JPG Folder # 3 014.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifact finds OD. I wonder why here they chose to make theirs square and up north round (Mano)?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you tell if it had been on the rock for a long time, there should have been a build up of some dirt where it was sitting under it.:dontknow: Great finds and good eye.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you tell if it had been on the rock for a long time, there should have been a build up of some dirt where it was sitting under it.:dontknow: Great finds and good eye.:thumbsup:

There really wasn't much dirt or soil under it, the large boulder it was on is limestone which is quite prevalent in the area. It is also possible that someone in recent history picked it up and laid it on the boulder and forgot it. If you magnify the picture in the circled area you can see that the lichen has built up on the surface of the mano.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exciting find old digger...you've been on a "finding" streak.:icon_thumright:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really wasn't much dirt or soil under it, the large boulder it was on is limestone which is quite prevalent in the area. It is also possible that someone in recent history picked it up and laid it on the boulder and forgot it. If you magnify the picture in the circled area you can see that the lichen has built up on the surface of the mano.

That happens ,I found a nutting stone sitting on top of a fence post .:laughing7:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey old digger....just wanted to tell you that you've got a super cute "pup" :dog::thumbsup:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifact finds OD. I wonder why here they chose to make theirs square and up north round (Mano)?

Nice finds Old digger.
Rock.. I'm sure there are different shaped ones by you. Round,square"ish" bell shaped,hoof shaped...some just a natural shaped stone used..it depends on what it was being used to prepare..what was being prepaid..how it was being prepared..what it was being prepaired on...if it was a tool being used for a long time in a village or shelter that would be returned to or just out during travel and camp use.
Think about it... Think about living and making your food and medicine.. These are just people with honed survival skills and passed down ways... Not aliens.
Not meant to be offensive at all..just kinda putting the way I learned out there.

Attachments

• 2076163_f260.jpg
    2076163_f260.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 133
  • ag_manometate.jpg
    ag_manometate.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see some square ones in the pics. Now I just have to find the base if the plow hasn't already.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Old digger.
Rock.. I'm sure there are different shaped ones by you. Round,square"ish" bell shaped,hoof shaped...some just a natural shaped stone used..it depends on what it was being used to prepare..what was being prepaid..how it was being prepared..what it was being prepaired on...if it was a tool being used for a long time in a village or shelter that would be returned to or just out during travel and camp use.
Think about it... Think about living and making your food and medicine.. These are just people with honed survival skills and passed down ways... Not aliens.
Not meant to be offensive at all..just kinda putting the way I learned out there.

The majority of the material that is used as mano's up here is the harder sandstone (as the one above), or the harder granite river cobbles. And the shape of the ones I have found have all been similar to the one above. I have not found any of the long slender shaped ones, but have seen a few from other collections in the area.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OD .. It's funny how things work out sometimes... Now watch.. Your next one just might be of the slender variety.
H.H.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that the metate's are the hardest to find, or maybe I am just not paying that close attention. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread