More old coins!! 1840 Rupee and 1864 US 2 cent coin

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally never come across coins while hunting at garage/estate sales and these 2 were no exception. The little beach town we vacation at has a scrap gold buyer/jewelry dealer that always has something neat to check out so I stop in when I can

Yesterday I went by so I could assemble some "treasure" for some of the younger kids to find/dig-up near the beach house with the help of a map we "found". Since I didn't want to get them US coins, I dug through the box of foreign coins and these 2 are what I pulled out and gave 10.00 for the pair image.jpgimage.jpg

The 2 cent coin was really worn but I have yet to own one so I couldn't leave it behind. The rupee was only purchased because the coin box only held "bronze/brass" coin but I could easily tell it was silver

I've found the gold & silver buyers are great places to dig through. I don't look for coins so much as they do check out the going price values of numismatic's and always mark that stuff up, as theirs no shortage of coin collectors out there eager buy more coins. I've been there, done that and I sold out all I had and I'm now over that way of investing. I look more for the valuable signed jewelry they buy as scrap. I've found pieces of sterling jewelry signed by highly valued makers they only want spot plus 25% over weight on and I'll resale those pieces for a lot more over the silver price. Once at a scrap buyer, I was checking a tray full of silver charms for maybe some signed James Avery charms or interesting vintage movable charms and I found a 14K gold charm in the pile. I got that one for under the price of spot gold. That Rupee looks to be in very fine condition.

Last edited:
I got the same impression on the rupee as well. It has some heavy discoloration but, like the half dollar I picked up, has all the fine details intact. It will go on the pile of "to be graded" coins and sooner or later il send a few out

Sounds like your creating future treasure hunters! Kudos to you! Don't know much about the numismatics yet, but any time you get a deal is a good time. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back