Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to the old home site I posted about last week where I had found an 1800's one-cent trifecta (one LC, two Flying Eagles, and one Indian Head). In that previous string, I commented that I hoped to return and find my first 1700's coin. Well, I went back a couple days ago to continue my search. I found two more LC's (1854 and 1853) and a 1773 Virginia Halfpenny! It took me awhile to ID the VA coin as I had never dug a King George coin before. The photos are not the best, and I hope to get some more detail with some additional cleaning; but I checked off a major bucket lister with that one! The property owner is allowing me to basically come and go at will, so you can believe me when I say that I'm going to wear that ground out!

1854 Large Cent.jpg1854 Reverse.jpg1853 Front.jpg1853 Reverse.jpgVirginia Half Penny front.jpgVirginia Half Penny Reverse.jpg

Upvote 10
Nice coppers! Congrats on the VA Halfpenny. What else are you digging besides coppers?

Congrats! Actually, that isn't sufficient. I think confetti should rain down when people join a new century club. And what a cool way you did it...skipped right over regular brit coppers and got a VA half penny!

What a great site/open permission combo you've found. And I'm with Steve: show us more!

Congrats! Actually, that isn't sufficient. I think confetti should rain down when people join a new century club. And what a cool way you did it...skipped right over regular brit coppers and got a VA half penny!

What a great site/open permission combo you've found. And I'm with Steve: show us more!

I call it my "dream permission" - a mid 1700's home site that to my knowledge (and as evidenced by the finds so far) has never been detected. I have found numerous colonial era and early 1800's buttons, buckles, whatits, etc. I've attached a couple of examples below. One of the finds I have dubbed the "Valentine Buckle" because of the strange shape and shared it in another forum. I've also found a lot of well preserved 1800's Indian Heads. My second oldest coin so far has been an 1806 US Half Cent. The owner has only been interested in the non-coin relics, all of which I am giving to him. He plans to display them throughout the home in shadow boxes, which I think is pretty cool. He's had no interest in the coins, so this has been a great owner-detector relationship. I will continue to hunt the site until I'm convinced there's nothing left to find!

Buttons front.jpgBottons back.jpgBuckle.JPGShield buckle.jpgIMG_0940.JPGIH front.jpgIH back.jpg

Awsome coppers great finds!!

I like the Lc's anytime I see one, but that Virginny copper is quite a sight! It's on my list.

Great show, congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back