fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is something I put together a while ago but didn't do anything with it, enlight of some of the recent topics of discussion I think it maybe helpful or shed some light, I don't know. Please feel free to fact check, dispute or what have ya. Something I feel I need to bring to the front and feel needs to be kept in everyones mind as they read this, is that the majority of what I wrote about are Mercury Mines, and naturally occuring Mercury sites NOT Gold Mines. Most importantly I am not down playing or suggesting that Mercury is not dangerous or harmful to humans. I guess my point is that the effects of Mercury and our fear of it, not unlike Tobacco use, is more about money than public health. We know Tobacco use is bad, but there is more money to be made killing folks with it, hence it being perfectly legal to ingest. On the flip side we also know Mercury is bad, but history tells us it may not be having the effect that the folks making millions off of it and the fear of it would have us believe.

When it comes to Mercury, California has at one time or another held many titles- largest number of mercury mines (USGS estimates 500-2000), largest producer of Mercury, largest user, biggest abuser, largest Mercury contaminated body of water in the west (Clear Lake), Worst cases of mercury related mine leakage (Idria, Sulphur Bank and Almaden), most contaminated Watersheds and on it goes. What it does not have is the largest database of case history for Mercury poisoning, “Minamata disease, or Mercury contaminated fish consumption related illness, or fatalities. Why not? It’s common knowledge that Mercury is a dangerous toxic element harmful to humans, and especially so when turned into Methylmercury. But how bad is it? Might it be there are other factors in play, naturally occurring elements and processes making it less dangerous to us then we would be led to believe? Could it be that the Fear Mongering about Mercury is more about getting funding than public health and welfare? The vast majority of articles written about Mercury include the qualifying suppositions; could, can, may, if, might? Based on the proposed dangers, one would think the articles and reports would be overwhelmed with words like; does, will, is, shall, or has. Search the web, call your State Public Health Department, the National CDC, or Poison Control Centers of America. There is a severe lack of documentation. California has a 166 year history of producing, using, and abusing Mercury. Why do we not have volumes of case studies showing the effects on Gold Miners, Mercury Miners, and their families? These folks weren’t simply exposed to microscopic tidbits from a bite of fish now and then, it was a significant part of their lives. The Gold rush era miners used it daily as a tool for their work, submerging their arms, hands, and feet in it processing the gold. They and they're families lived on site at the mines. Thousands of Mercury Miners, not gold miners ingested and handled it while working deep in the earth extracting it. An astute individual applying a little common sense might conclude that after 166 years we should have a ton of concrete evidence showing clusters, epidemics, or stories and reports of people getting sick or dying from Mercury poisoning. But we don’t, why is that? There are countless journals, personal accounts and volumes of detailed stories about the Goldrush era, where are the accounts on the effects of the mercury use.

Earlier I suggested it may be a case of Fear Mongering for profit, let the reader decide; One concerned and caring “environmental” organization has received millions of dollars in taxpayer funding to suction dredge one body of water in the Motherlode country. Ironically it needs to be brought to attention that the same organization wrote the legislation for the current suction dredge moratorium, banning the use of motorized suction dredge equipment. Guess that is one way to deal with the competition. With the passing of Proposition 1, they are set up to receive millions more. There hope and goal is to recover a mere 150 lbs of Mercury during a three to five year project. It should be pointed out that as much as 6 million pounds of Mercury released during the gold rush have yet to be recovered. Remember these figures, they are important- One single body of water and 150 pounds of Mercury in 3-5 years out of millions of pounds and hundreds of sites! Starting to do the math, and subsequent future profit margins? The completion date of this project was slated for December 2014. As of this date the project has not gone into “production” mode and the reservoir is no where near remediated. The project is being used as an on site demonstration piece showing the projects viability and a means of seeking further funding. However, the further funding part does seem to be doing quite well at this time.

California has the most contaminated waterways and largest number of Mercury Mine sites in North America. One of those, the New Idria in San Benito operated for 120 years and closed in 1972. It is considered to be one of the worst. Finally in September of 2011 it became a superfund site. Some interesting facts about the New Idria; the EPA estimated that flowing at a rate of 40 gallons per minute from the mine site, 21 million gallons of contaminated water per year flow into the nearby creek which flows into the San Joaquin river and eventually flows into the San Francisco Bay Delta distributing 700lbs of Mercury annually into the Delta. The San Francisco Bay Delta provides ⅔ of the state’s drinking water. Another mine the Almaden with a rich Mercury history lies 12 miles south of downtown San Jose, it has been “cleaned” and is now an urban park. Clear lake, the most naturally occuring Mercury contaminated body of water on the West Coast also feeds a watershed that finds it’s way to the Delta. Right now there are currently around a dozen major Mercury clean up efforts going on in the state out of a thousand plus conataminated sites..

I have the following questions:
> Is the danger to the public as real as "they" would have us believe or is it “fear mongering for funding”?
> Why is there not a comprehensive historical database on Mercury illness or fatalities in California?
> If our water supply and health is in as much danger as the "environmentalists" would have us believe, why are there only a dozen or so clean up efforts out of thousands of sites across the state?
> Are the clean ups warranted where they are happening, are we remediating those sites posing the biggest threat to our drinking water?
> Are the organizations receiving our tax money qualified and experienced or simply creating a new “green” source of revenue for themselves?
> What are the best management and industry standards and practices for Mercury cleanup, are they being applied?
> What does the research show concerning alternative methods such as non-invasive, non-destructive Selenium treatments?
> Why are we not doing more to promote Public Mercury education and collection programs like we do with waste CFL’s and burnt Fluorescent tubes?
> According to the aforementioned environmentalist organization receiving public funding for a Mercury remediation, project using a Suction Dredge, Suction Dredge technology is the most efficient means of recovering Mercury. Current test data appears to support this as well, so why are we not lifting the current moratorium on Suction Dredging?
> Why are we not promoting and developing grassroots remediation incentive programs using the large volunteert workforce of small scale Miners and prospectors to remove the Mercury and clean up the state's waterways? Who better, more experienced, or well equipped to deal with a mining problem than the miners themselves?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i mean regarding the big picture ..and again,there is no locked up sediments,the merc will go downstream sooner or later and we are not the source of the mercury in the stream

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I encourage friendly opposition, if we share what we know and check eachothers facts it's the best way to figure out which of us is being duped, lol! Sierra Fund removed most everything they had on the site, smart move I guess if your worried the grand jury might come after ya at some point. EPA has removed alot as well. Here is some more for you to read and study. I recently had to send my computer in to get fixed and I lost a ton of info. I've asked folks I've sent stuff to forward me back copies. Anywho this will keep ya going!
This one shows the enormous Industry building up, look through the list of projects and studies, for full effect hum The Ojay's -For the love of Money (Apprentice theme song).
http://www.sacriver.org/files/documents/dtmc-minutes/20150210.pdf

....and this one, go to end of report appendix IV for details of test samples and conclusion of "ineffective, requiring additonal treatments"
http://nidwater.com/wp-content/uplo...on-Analysis-for-Combie-Reservior-Complete.pdf

....and Hefty's sticky in the dredging and highbanking forum.
Lake Combie mercury removal project crosses another hurdle

...and last but not least Reed's youtube video will give you an excellent visual of what and where we are talking about--
The Truth about Lake Combie's Mercury Removal Hoax

Last edited:

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to your list of citations, MadMachinist. The amount of reading I've been doing on my own is enough to fuel a bloody 300-page research report.
Just for you, a couple of citations on the non-solubility and consistent body load of mercury even in the presence of selenium:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/tjem/196/2/196_2_71/_pdf
http://www.environment.si/data/bibliografija/2007/2007_13.pdf
The gist seems to be that while administration of Se complexes mitigates the Hg present, the Hg remains present in the body and is not fully eliminated since SeHg is not soluble. The pathways of uptake, distribution, and chelation are not fully understood and do not seem to be present on a 1:1 ratio. You're right, I don't fully understand the best delivery mechanism for Se into the body. Look forward to your next post.

On one hand, I can see how my posts are the devil's advocate here. On the other hand, I'm doing exhaustive research into the science of methylmercury and trying to figure out exactly what /is/ the problem with it, then reporting back, in bits and pieces, on the science and the objections to stirring up methylmercury that I can find.

To address a point again since it seems needful - dredgers are not the only source of mercury. Got that loud and clear.
The natural-occurring mercury in CA is found bound in cinnabar in the coast ranges, not the Sierras. Leave the sleeping dragon lie. Not only that but the coast ranges don't feed the major reservoirs nor the bay delta fisheries.
Lake Almaden (settling pond for the old Almaden Mine) is still a no-fishing zone.

MeHg is most toxic to infants and children and the pre-born, since their metabolism uptake so much faster than adults and their nervous systems are still developing. Adults don't have so much a problem, but friends of mine downhill from Malakoff Diggins have been advised not to drink their well water since the soluble mercury in it is more than 100ug/l. The issue is not instant lethality so much as negative impact of varying degrees over time. It accumulates. Remember lead additives in paint and gasoline? A public health hazard more for the effects on children and the adults they become than to those who are grown adults when exposed.

In fast-moving waters, it's true that in the oxygenation zone methylmercury can't form, but in the deeper sediments (under the gravel, closer to bedrock) where the heavy mercury naturally settles out, it's subject to methylation by aneorobic bacteria. When the river bottoms are dredged, all the heavy sediments are suctioned up and flushed over the sluice box. I've seen the cloudiness in the water from dredging, that's sediment particles.
Since nanometer-particulate filtration is not what dredges are after, nor set up for, it makes sense from the abstract that the dredge would capture visible elemental mercury but not methylated mercury (which is also somewhat lighter owing to the specific gravity of the methyl group).
Yes, Hg will bond with S, Se, Al, Fe - but how to put them in a form that will handle the flow volume and not get plugged up or crusted over by the rest of the sediments? By the binding sites getting full-up? Agh, the headache.

I would love to see some water sampling done in various rivers before, during, and after a dredging operation. Without solid numbers in hand, I think all we're arguing is belief "yes it stirs it MeHg" - "no it doesn't" which is pretty much pointless, it gives us no hard numbers to work with. I'm willing to bet even the green groups don't have spot-on research on this, but are going on more nebulous "if this - then that" logic.

Now politics...yes it seems like some back-room political deals were cut to make this whole Sierra Fund business go down. As I'm sure we all know, politics is an ongoing experiment in which whomever it is that convinces those in power to hand over some of it to get their way, gets their way, at least for a little while. Again, I'm in agreement that the methods currently in use are not the best. Frankly I find them laughable. But they appeal to the mindset of the politicians and green do-gooders in power and holding sway.

I think if we're going to beat them out at this game we need some independent, objective studies of our own done on dredging's impact on stirring up (or not stirring up) MeHg. And frankly speaking, if dredging is stirring up MeHg, and the politicians are accepting the fact that MeHg is a serious health issue, then we're back to the filtration quandary.

How can we /prove/ with hard sample numbers that we're doing more good than harm? Is PLP or AMRA funding anything along these lines to defend mining with some counter-science? And speaking of that, where the ever-loving heck are the big mining companies to help us out?

fowledup since you seem to have your hand on the pulse of this whole political situation the best, can you point me to any references on what the Sierra Fund's experimental removals have actually accomplished? I'd like to read the state reporting, but the Sierra Fund website doesn't have any reports up and I can't find which of the state bureaus would actually have this info, do you? If they're doing bloody well nothing that's actually good for us since we can keep pitching in those counter-proposals. You've been kind enough to engage this far and I respect both your time and your tenacity.

Lastly, I don't respond to everyone's post since 1. where I come from a fight or debate is nothing but mano a mano - one on one - and 2. I do try to address most of the points I see coming up.
I hope you find the friendly opposition sharpening.

well,i think we would never find a agreement enyway because you keep focussing on isolated data ,leaving out the big pic. then;

"To address a point again since it seems needful - dredgers are not the only source of mercury. Got that loud and clear. "

No:dontknow:. We are also not "one of the sources" The source is the streambed.

"MeHg is most toxic to infants and children and the pre-born, since their metabolism uptake so much faster than adults and their nervous systems are still developing. Adults don't have so much a problem, but friends of mine downhill from Malakoff Diggins have been advised not to drink their well water since the soluble mercury in it is more than 100ug/l. The issue is not instant lethality so much as negative impact of varying degrees over time. It accumulates. Remember lead additives in paint and gasoline? A public health hazard more for the effects on children and the adults they become than to those who are grown adults when exposed."

Then the fetus is a sensitive bioindicator.In this case it its doable ,via statistics,to find out if there a general merc.problem.But i would not indicate that it comes from dredging.Is there a higher than normal rate of merc.related fetal misdevelopments in the surrounding population? But more inportant,are the cases decreasing since the dredging ban?Are this decreasing numbers(if there are any)not to attribute to changing feeding behaviour,like your friends in the malakoff diggings because they don,t drink theire water enymoore?

"In fast-moving waters, it's true that in the oxygenation zone methylmercury can't form, but in the deeper sediments (under the gravel, closer to bedrock) where the heavy mercury naturally settles out, it's subject to methylation by aneorobic bacteria. When the river bottoms are dredged, all the heavy sediments are suctioned up and flushed over the sluice box. I've seen the cloudiness in the water from dredging, that's sediment particles.
Since nanometer-particulate filtration is not what dredges are after, nor set up for, it makes sense from the abstract that the dredge would capture visible elemental mercury but not methylated mercury (which is also somewhat lighter owing to the specific gravity of the methyl group).
Yes, Hg will bond with S, Se, Al, Fe - but how to put them in a form that will handle the flow volume and not get plugged up or crusted over by the rest of the sediments? By the binding sites getting full-up? Agh, the headache."

True.But i,ts there with or without dredging.Without dredging it will come down in massive loads during floods,with all the methylated merc.With dredging a significant smaller amount would come down during dredging,but in the next flood the sediments that passed the sluice will have 98 percent less elemental merc potentially formed to methylmerc.
By the way i would love to see the dredge manufacturers develop such a filtration device,if the dredges are a problem.Which i don,t believe.But again,i think a part our opposition would not be happy about it.

"I would love to see some water sampling done in various rivers before, during, and after a dredging operation. Without solid numbers in hand, I think all we're arguing is belief "yes it stirs it MeHg" - "no it doesn't" which is pretty much pointless, it gives us no hard numbers to work with. I'm willing to bet even the green groups don't have spot-on research on this, but are going on more nebulous "if this - then that" logic."

An test woul involve to isolate a part of a creek( from the flow of the rest of the creek.)containining merc strata with methylated parts in it.Dredge it up to the last sedimentdust and in the meantime catch all the water and sediments from outlet of dredge and measure.Add the collected merc in the sluice to the data than you know how much merc escaped and how much is collected. Than put sediments back add fresh water and dredge up again and measure again ,than you got a bigger pic.However this bigger pic does apply only to merc levels instream and does not indicate if there,s a general merc problem.

"I think if we're going to beat them out at this game we need some independent, objective studies of our own done on dredging's impact on stirring up (or not stirring up) MeHg. And frankly speaking, if dredging is stirring up MeHg, and the politicians are accepting the fact that MeHg is a serious health issue, then we're back to the filtration quandary. "

I find this "Friendly proposal "rather worriying and it really needs some sharpening here. Do we need to do a study about this ,spend money about a test with a logical outcome that would bring up isolated data.This is the type of sierra science.How the heck you are supposed to not stirr up sediments.You are judging yourself here .So will do your showel.This should be alarming the ones that thought;this is a dredgers problem.

I,ve said enough and will try to contain myself as i am no expert and i hope i,m not causing damage here.It,s a minefield and you never know who you are talking to.Maybe john is wright about open discussions

cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On this subject spaghetti I wouldn't worry about saying too much as it's all well known public knowledge. The facts, whatever they be are either ignored or twisted to suit the funding seekers agenda.

Here is a link about the EPA's pilot program (the voluntary one that actually worked) or what is left of it the original is gone. http://www.stopsb637.org/EPA Milk run doc.jpg

This is 7 or so hours of bloviating, some good stuff in here, get past the sales pitches and such, apply a dose of common sense and dig into what they really say. CLU-IN | Hg Remediation in Aquatic Environments

This is an article by the brain child of it all, not what you would call fact filled or enlightening . Notice the lack of refernces or statistics of any kind. Pure supposition and scare tactics. Not that it matters bad is bad but the generally excepted amount of mercury left by the oldtimers is 6 mil not 10 mil. Can't let the facts get in the way of a good spooky story. Like it or not: Mercury threat exists in Gold Country fish | In El Dorado County
As to the study of cases of methymercury poisoning by Dr. Jane Hightower she name drops. I leave you this to peruse. https://www.aboutseafood.com/press/ It should be mentioned that all of the cases were Swordfish and pretty much a cherry picked media perfect case example.

This is an excerpt from the article.
"Dr. Jane Hightower is a San Francisco physician who has been described in media reports as someone who's "made something of a cottage industry" out of anecdotally linking various and sometimes vague symptoms of illness to elevated mercury levels, that she suggests come from eating seafood. If you have "intermittent stomach upset," "headache," "fatigue," "trouble concentrating" or "hair loss," and you visit Dr. Hightower, you inevitably come away with a diagnosis of toxic mercury exposure.media-blog/dissecting-jane-hightower-s-diagnosis-mercury."

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple of excerpts from Sac Bee article by Edward Ortiz
Study finds unsafe mercury levels in fish from Delta watershed | The Sacramento Bee

"Sport fish in rivers and streams outside the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta had low or moderate contamination levels, as did fish lower in the food chain – such as rainbow trout," said Davis." ( Jay Davis, senior environmental scientist with the San Francisco Estuary Institute.) This supports what we are saying about where the merc problem is. It is also a clue as to where we should be focusing the remediation efforts. Spaghetti is absolutely correct. We should be catching all we can in the upper reaches in it's elemental state before it is turned into Methymercury downstream. No brainer.

By Davis as well;
"The issue of mercury, specifically the variant methylmercury, is a public health concern because sport fishing is practiced all year in and around the Delta watershed.

The high mercury rates are a legacy from the state's mining operations in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when mercury ore was mined from 240 mines statewide and used to amalgamate gold and silver.

The mercury that eventually ran into streams and rivers was inorganic and not easily absorbed into the tissues of fish. However, once that mercury moves downstream, bacteria convert it into methylmercury, which can be absorbed."

Aside from the political perks/motivations, they are being completely reactive in their approach to the problem. They are focusing their efforts in the areas that have already bioconverted. They will not be successful in preventing further bioconversion. They are attempting to mop the floor after the spill, instead of preventing the spill in the first place. To truly address it the State should not only lift the ban but promote dredging and embrace it. We are the best frontline offense there is- period. Recover the mercury before it's methylmercury.

To prevent a forest fire- you remove the brush and burnable hazards before fire season starts, not after a firestorm has burned down your house and property. Thank God they aren't incharge of the fireservice we'd be f'd.

Spaghetti- I don't care anymore about saying the wrong thing, I'm sick of em. I'm going to keep saying what I know to be true. My hope is if I say it enough, to enough people, at some point some one will hear what I'm saying that has the power to actually start some action to stop these people. They are building a paycheck not saving the planet.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes fowled,and the storms are what is destroiyng theire credibility.New mercury will always come downstream creating a long term paying job.And the job will go on much longer and the gold recovered downstream will be moore too if there are no dredgers upstream.Theres no locked up sediments and merc.

If ever should arise that there,s a mercury problem , or also if there,s no problem in the population,install some collecting stores,give the dredgers ..sorry,to all the miners cash in form of the actual selling price for merc ,that would assure that the dredgers bring theire merc to the collecting stores and would also prevent cheating by buying merc and then selling it to the stores.Also a social benefit,isn,t it?

cheers fowled and everybody

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Originally Posted by Caribou369

'To address a point again since it seems needful - dredgers are not the only source of mercury. Got that loud and clear. "

Dredgers are NOT the source of mercury!!! That sh-t is already there!

You need to do more studying on where this sh-t came from and where it continues to come from!

You cannot stop it from coming into the environment...PERIOD!

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can think of one The Sherman Antitrust Act, which is a federal antitrust law;

The Sherman Act outlaws "every contract, combination, or conspiracy in restraint of trade," and any "monopolization, attempted monopolization, or conspiracy or combination to monopolize." Long ago, the Supreme Court decided that the Sherman Act does not prohibit every restraint of trade, only those that are unreasonable. For instance, in some sense, an agreement between two individuals to form a partnership restrains trade, but may not do so unreasonably, and thus may be lawful under the antitrust laws. On the other hand, certain acts are considered so harmful to competition that they are almost always illegal. These include plain arrangements among competing individuals or businesses to fix prices, divide markets, or rig bids. These acts are "per se" violations of the Sherman Act; in other words, no defense or justification is allowed.

Anyone see anything that wouldn't apply to our heros?

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Originally Posted by Caribou369

'To address a point again since it seems needful - dredgers are not the only source of mercury. Got that loud and clear. "

Dredgers are NOT the source of mercury!!! That sh-t is already there!

You need to do more studying on where this sh-t came from and where it continues to come from!

You cannot stop it from coming into the environment...PERIOD!

Had to read that again, didn't catch it the first time- Absolutley! Suction Dredge Miners have never introduced Mercury into the watersheds. The mercury we've been talking about from mining was left by the original California miners of the 1800's. For that matter no modern day small scale miner of any kind has introduced Mercury into the watersheds. It's not used at all, in any fashion streamside for any type of mining we do now and hasn't been for a very long time. Some do use a small amount at home for collecting the final bits of gold left from processing and that little bit is recylced and used over and over. There is plenty of info on that topic in other threads.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well said.

Caribou one of the reasons we keep pounding on this is that fact that there is no outbreak of Mercury poisonings....no catastrophe waiting in the wings that we need urgent help with.
Its simple is there naturally deposited Mercury in the state?...YES

Is there "Legacy mercury" ? YES

Is there mercury in fish? Yes

Is there Mercury coming from the Atmosphere?

Are there people dying in any number from it? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

compared to all the other things harming the environment.......considering that there are actually programs in place that allow you to PAY for the permit to pollute.....

and all dredgers do is remove these heavy metals leaving less in the environment(that wasn't actually hurting anything in the first place) to be distributed en mass by mother nature every so often.....

Its absurd how easy it is to see these facts ...yet the population is so clueless that they will allow themselves to be taxed....those dollars go into the pockets of liars and now you can even go to a hearing where the real facts by far outweigh the situation professed by some non-profit....the people get up and speak, and still the people on the other side of the desk vote based on influence......not the will of the people.

So, many side stories are created to pull focus from the real issue.....People will lie to get other peoples money....and if its easy the first time they will try again.
I will keep doing whatever I can to make it harder.

:headbang:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad machinest thank you for your diligence....
caribou keep studying.....
Lawmakers in Ca. love to make money off of protecting its population from " POTENTIAL" harm,....studies, studies ,studies..... reports.... reports...... =
CONFUSION....it wears people down. when coupled with the actual percentage of informed voters its a joke and they know it.
when a portion of the population stands up it annoys the crap out of them because they don't expect it. they are just used to trying to keep the sheeps pen up to date and enough food and water for contentment.

case in point the recent senate hearings regarding the new dredge bill...that was created because their other attempt is falling on its face due to facts, and the will of the mining community....
you know the free range " BLACK SHEEP"

Bills are supposed to be authored in consideration of the needs of the population historically created out of popular demand.
The anti dredging bills and suits are not there because of popular demand. They are there because of the desire to line peoples pockets with tax payers money.
When we filled the senate chambers and court rooms with support they didn't like it because they aren't used to the sheep trying to break out.
They hold a hearing that is supposed to illustrate the bills purpose and facts about it....We had to bring up questions and in turn the panel did not push those questions they just go off of the word of the author and his supporters. we as representatives of the population actually affected were totally disregarded...

Did anyone ask...

What harms have been recorded recently?

How many people are admitted for and treated for mercury poisoning related to exposure by waters in the state or fish consumed in them?( reent water board report shows the fish are safe)

If the miners are removing elemental mercury before it can bio-convert and only "potentially" (funny how that word never counts in our favor) release a miniscule amount...which has been proven in studies to be un measurable vs. that disturbed and moved by nature..........again a "potential" that would be decreased with every ounce removed from waters upstream of reservoirs by dredgers. Why is the state not utilizing this effective " FREE" industry that already exists (EXISTED)?

Why didn't the instances of heavy metals poisoning increase with the increase of dredging in Ca. from the late 1970's on especially in the waters localized to regions with "LEGACY" mercury and Cinnabar deposits.

No miner denies that mercury exists...no miner denies that mercury can poison in certain situations.
We just see what the sierra fund is doing....and hate how they use a system that is for the people against the people. A huge chunk of the population doesn't even care and doesn't even know that people are "legally" stealing from them because of this system.

Therefore the notion that the people of the state are 'Pushing" for this sort of legislation are "pushing" for this sort of protection for their safety is a bunch of crap!!!!

By numbers there are way more miners involved in the fight against this then there are actual people supporting the bill. if there were people supporting the bill they wouldn't have had interns stand in line supporting the bill...ALL TWO OF THEM....that I will point out stood up in support of a few other bills heard that day...you know very important bills like creating laws to insure drinking fountains at school were safe and other no brainer issues....

People its their room and the don't want you in it....they are not used to the population getting involved.
They are used to telling you about the things that will kill you....how they are protecting you and making laws for your protection....and they want you to know about it after the fact.
Which is absolutely not the intent of the process. That they have just plain tried to abolish.

Start presenting facts and contradiction and they squirm and sweat..... Why?

They stand to lose A LOT of money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it because they are worried about your health and the condition of the water?

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::happysmiley::treasurechest::occasion14:....that's me laughing like a special interest normally does after a bill passes and the money starts rolling in

I would still like some points addressed...Caribou......Not more reports and facts about mercury. I know all I need to know about mercury.
I would like you to talk about the process for once...not dodge the situation.

Mad Machinest isn't even a Ca. resident for that I thank him very much for the support:notworthy:

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would still like some points addressed...Caribou......Not more reports and facts about mercury. I know all I need to know about mercury.
I would like you to talk about the process for once...not dodge the situation.

I spent an hour writing a post and the post editor eats it. :censored:

What, you wanna talk brass tacks about politics? I go after the science as a form of politics. Beat the game, at the game. Numbers get results? Fine, let's give environmentalists and politicians some numbers to chew on, in terms they understand.

Frankly I've already done 20-30 hours of research this week and I estimate there's another 200-300 to search and corral a manageable, applicable slice of literature. I don't know many people who would go this far, which limits the number of people who can really be said to be fully informed on both the politics and the science. fowledup, you've obviously done a lot of legwork and I respect both your dedication and the cogent arguments that follow.

Politics-wise...I think we're talking some massive official document writing, preferably by a legal pro, and hammered on by a dedicated crew, to get results. Look at the current dredging rules for example. I haven't counted the pages in the official CA dredging docs but I'd guesstimate at least 200, conservatively. I think one time-honored political tactic must be to just bury the pols and everyone else in paper. @_@

A few points...

All right, a dredge is not a "source" in that the mercury is already there. I can agree with that. It just gets called a "source" in a lot of the literature since it stirs up the streams and riverbeds so much. It gets to you after a while.

The generally accepted medical consensus, from observations of the last 150 years, is that Mercury in all forms is biotoxic, specifically neurotoxic. If you disagree, kindly do your own 20 hours of academic research on this point.
Find and read the case studies yourself. It pays to be cautious IMHO. And that's all I'm going to say about this anymore.

MadMachinist, if you want to help your case, please dish up some actual citations, not just a link to a gated-access research community.
Everything I've found so far is publicly available, even the hardcore academic stuff, you just have to dig for it. I have ProQuest and Informa at my alma mater's library if needs be.
And now back to you.

Cheers,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread