MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I would just like anyone with a MXT to tell what you have found with your very own MXT. Tell all your MXT stories and what you have found with the unit. I am in upstate NY and looking for a good coin machine cause thats mostly what we can find around here is coins and relics. I want to move out west so a good Beach/nugget hunter would be nice for there. So the MXT seems good, I just really want to make sure it pulls silver coins. Cause if you don't know it seems my Bounty Hunter won't find silver coins and I don't want to make that mistake twice.

Thanks all,
Keep @ it and HH!!

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I have been using the MXT for two summers now. I love the machine. However, it doesn’t sound like it would be “your” best option, for the type of hunting you mainly do, i.e. coins. I personally do a lot of coin shooting, but I am mainly interested in jewelry, especially gold. The MXT is a respectable coin machine, but not the best. The best coin machines seem to be a much lower frequency, however, it’s a tradeoff, because that lower frequency is not as hot on the small gold. For just coin shooting, I would look at the Whites’ 6000 pro, Fisher CZ-5 (you can find them used for pretty cheap, and they are fantastic coin hunters), the Whites’ M 6, Sovereign GT, or Fisher CZ-D. You could also look at the Explorer or the DFX. I personally don’t like either that well. I think they take a simple task and make it complicated. There is no machine that can’t be fooled, especially by those beavertail pop-tops with the tail missing. Also, the Explorer is so heavy and awkward and slow it is miserable to use. The DFX is a fantastic coin machine, but all that programming and those computer menus are a pain in the butt. But, if you like that stuff, the DFX is tough to beat. I personally think the best metal detector ever made was the Fisher CZ-20. That is one heck of a machine. They are hard to find, and they are very expensive. Anyways, back to the MXT, it is not a machine for everyone. The higher frequency makes it a bit sensitive and a bit noisy. Personally, it doesn’t bother me a bit. If you just coin shoot all the time, you will end up with piles and piles of clads. You will be lucky to find enough to pay for your batteries. I know that’s not the point, it’s our hobby and it’s not all about what you find. It saves me a ton of money because I don’t golf anymore. However, if it’s not about what you find, it’s an oxymoron to discriminate out the “trash”. It’s more logical to turn the discrimination down and use a sensitive machine and GO FOR IT. With a lower frequency machine set up for just coins, you could walk right over that diamond ring with the thin gold ban. The best of both worlds may be the Sovereign GT. It is one of the best coin hunters and can find the small gold. However, it is a slow slow machine. The MXT works for me!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and your MXT!!

What only one person owns an MXT?? Come on people, thanks so much Jeffinflint lots of cool info. Have you ever found Silver Coins with your MXT?

Keep @ it and HH!!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i enjoyed mine so much i got 1 for the wife,, no guess work involved,, once you truly know the machine,, your golden....... at the risk of sounding like i'm bragging...(well, i am ;D ) i've gotten over 200 silver coins with it,, lots of silver and gold jewelry,, lots and lots of nice finds,, i personally don't see how ya can go wrong,, no matter where ya live....
rick in mass.... ;D

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much... Thats all I was looking for a yes or no answer. Everyone was telling me what machine is better for coins or what is worse for coins. Not if this one can find them or not and thats all I wanted.

Thank you,
Keep @ it and HH!!

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I sure have found my share of silver coins. MXT may not be the best “pure” coin detector, but it is right up there with the best of them, if that’s what you want to do. However, were the pure coin machines struggle, such as small gold jewelry, the MXT is more than up for the task. It has more power and sensitivity than you will ever need, unless you are prospecting. You will be doing yourself a big disservice it you get caught up in that “pure” coin hunting, a.k.a. coin-shooting or cherry-picking. I think that is just plain lazy. He He, just kidding to all you coin-shooters. But, if you want find the “real” goodies, you have to dig the so-called “trash”. The jewelry is so close to the “trash” range of a detector, that no machine can absolutely tell the difference.

Good luck, Jeff in Flint, MI

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I have found many silver coins, wheat's, Indians, and nickels. I have also found many relics. Buttons, bullets. I am a little behind on the jewelry, but that has a lot to do with the areas I hunt. I have found rings and brooches and some other jewelry, but nothing to write home about. I have ran the Mxt beside some of the best machines on the market and have never had a problem keeping up with them. I have never used mine at the beach so I cant be of any help there. Good luck...

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay more replies, thanks all. I am also a Jewelry Hunter, along with relics but I frequent coins. So what readings do the silver coins put out and whats a good mode or setting for it?

Thanks again,
Keep @ it and HH!!

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I hunt in coin/jewelry mode, I don't like the grunt sound. I know a lot of folks hunt in the relic and say they get deeper signals. I have never noticed the difference. In trashy areas don't be afraid to turn down the sensitivity a little. It will help reduce a lot of the chatter. As for silver coins, dimes read between 79-81. Quarters read between 82-87. Halves between 88-92. Dollars between 92-94. These are the average. Soil condition plays a lot into these numbers. I dug a seated dime at 9 inches and it read 59-62. I would recommend digging everything until you get familiar with your machine. Good luck and if you need any more help, just give me a yell.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto, Lucky! :) I love my MXT!

:)

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I too generally use the Coin/Jewelry mode. I prefer the tones in the C/J mode. Also, it may be petty, but the icons, Bullet/ Button/ Buckle, on the relic mode distract me. It may be important to remember that both the icons on the C/J mode or the Relic mode are just giving the user an idea of the “size” of the object. For instance, the “Bullet” icon can be interpreted as the approximate “size” of a bullet, same for the other in both modes. I personally use the pinpoint feature to determine the size of an object. The “depth” indicator is also very handy to me. For instance, if it says the depth is “0” and I don’t see an object sitting right on top of the ground, it is just about always a piece of junk giving off a strong signal. Another thing, when I get a strong signal, I will often hold in the pinpoint and if I can still pick up a strong signal while holding the coil a foot or so off the ground, I am pretty confident that it is piece of junk that is giving off a strong signal or it is a very large object, not a coin or piece of jewelry. I have found that jewelry, especially small jewelry, often gives off a very subtle sound. But, there are no absolutes, you may read “your” machine completely different than I read mine, and we may both be successful. However, back to your issue, if it is strictly “silver coins” you want, maybe you should take a good look at the CZ-3D. I hear it is a silver coin magnet. But if it is “treasure” you want to look for, then take a good look at the MXT.

Good luck, Jeff in Flint, MI

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Well thank you very much for the useful information Lucky and Jeff I will be sure to refer to your posts when my MXT comes. Thanks again I am always open for more info. so please everyone post something on your MXT!! Even show your finds!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my MXT today and all I can say is WOW! Even If I have not found anything of value, I like how it seems to work.

Finds trash no problem loud and clear. My Yard is full from 200 years of trash. So with this machine I think it will take me some time to clear all the trash. As for the silver coins, I don't think I have passed over any. Unless they are deep and just putting off a faint signal. I hope I can pull at least one easy plug deep, silver coin. That would prove to me my bounty hunter failed at doing so.

The pinpointing feature seems sweet, just hold the trigger and move your coil around until the bars are full and tone is high. Thats when your over the center of the item.

Air and ground test, show the system can pickup silver coins easy. Your signal will fade as the silver gets deeper or farther from the coil.

All in all seems like a great system can't wait to pull some gold jewelry and silver coins.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I got this email from a major dealer for Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro, and Garrett. I asked him what the best deal is (was then) going for a deep coin hunting machine. He really shocked me with this reply because he's a major big figure on a certain popular brand site (not Whites). I can't name him because he tells me the truth about the various brands.

Here's his email:

"When I think about getting the most for your money the White's MXT would be my pick.
In a nutshell...it's versatile, and it has good raw depth. It also has 5 accessory coils available to let you hunt in most any situation.
As you can tell I am bias to the MXT. I had one to spoil me so bad a few years ago I wouldn't use anything else. At that time I hunted mostly yards
and parks an found a lot of deep coins (7-10" range) and some jewelry. It has a coin & jewelry mode, relic mode, prospecting mode and a salt sand setting.
It is the best ground tracking circuit I have ever used. You can basically use it anywhere.
The retail price for the MXT is $799.95. I sell the unit for $679.00 shipped. Coil cover included.
Right now the factory has a good promotion going. With the purchase of any E-Series metal detector you can get your choice of any accessory coil from the factory for only $49.95.
They have a new coil out called the Super 12 that has a list price of $249.95. I would recommend the MXT and the Super 12 coil ($49.95) as a great deep coin set up.
I had the opportunity to use one of the proto type Super 12's and it was a very lightweight and deep seeking coil. I have that setup right now to relic hunt with."

Better get one MUD if the deal is still on at Whites dealers. Or, you could get a Tejon ;D

Best to you,

Badger

ctcfl

Dec 23, 2006
crestview,fl.
Detector(s) used
white's mxt
;D latest MXT find was a 1911 Barber dime at aprox. 7'', I have found plenty of all types of coins in the last year with it! My humble opinion it's a pretty good all purpose machine!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my new MXT already. A newer coil sounds cool but not in the market yet. I could use a coil cover and a carry case for it. Need some more money first. Seems like a great machine as I said before. Got to run off to hunt...

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread