More pennies and some dimes

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I have continued to search pennies like a mad man since my last post and today I was able to work in some dimes. I searched 2 boxes of dimes and found a 1961, '64 and '66 silver Canadian dimes as well I also found a 1952-S American Roosevelt. I don't find to many silver americans although I find far too much clad so American silver is always a nice surprise for me. Now on to the pennies.
Probably about 8 regular boxes of pennies produced 47 king George VI, 29 wheats as well as a semi-red 1952 king George and a semi-red 1958D wheat. Last week my favourite bank called and said some old lady dropped off $65 in pennies and the old lady said there were lots of really old coins in there so the bank wanted to know if I was interested in picking those up, of course I was. Those produced 142 king George VI, 2 George V which were dated 1925 (Key Date :headbang: although sadly not in the nicest shape) and a 1935. The wheats totalled to 88 which included were 3 1943s, a 1917, 1917S, 1918, 2x 1920, 1928 and a 1929S.
Then today I opened up a box that had came with others I had ordered last week and this box was filled with old rolls. Immediately after I had searched this box I went out to the bank that had their sticker on the box to get another box of pennies and it had identical results to the first. It was clearly a dumped collection as some rolls were marked. Those two boxes produced 112 king George VI (there were solid rolls of 1949 and 1950) and 86 wheat pennies. Who ever turned these in also collected BU rolls as I also got many rolls never opened from the 1970s and '80s, even a few from within the past 12 years.
I think the news that the penny will soon be no more has encouraged many elderly people to get rid of the pennies that have been collecting dust for so many years. That is only good news for me.
I'll post pics tomorrow. It's still out there.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job! can't wait to actually see the results... you did great!
HH
Buff

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep the hunt going Canadian Guy, this is actually the hot time for a penny hunting. Last time I had a very depressing box, but one roll I out aside, because it had writing. Something like: US 1940, 1941, 1942, 1944,1945,1946,1947. And the both enders were old and worn Lincolns. So, all is good what ends good, the roll contained 40 US wheats and strangely some newer steel Canadians mixed in it. I will probably create a new post about that and include some pics.
Now people cash in their old change, so the best thing is to catch pennies, before they go back to mint.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
question... you get boxes of cents in canada, they are not uniformally one type of wrapper and from one source?
From my understanding, somebody drops off boxes of cents with all sorts of different wrappers, and the bank puts together a box?

Here in America, when I ask for a box of cents, the box is sealed with all the same wrapper from the same supplier and date/batch.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
In Canada, when the box is sealed, it came straight from the Mint -> all rolls are brand new. Banks usually have bundles of various denominations (10 rolls). If someone wants to buy a full box, they usually take out a cardboard box and put 5 bundles in. There are all kinds of wrappers seen: plastic clips rolls, paper pre-crimped rolls, machine wrapped rolls (shotgun style), new plastic rolls, double opened paper roll, custom rolls (which usually go to the garbage straight away) and of course those hard plastic old style rolls. Banks usually don't check CWRs, so this way Canadian CRHers obtain massive loads of Seated Liberty quarters, Barber dimes and Flying Eagle cents.
....joking. I meant massive amount of US pennies, my highest percentage was 22% in a 25$ box.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting, thanks for the information! I wish boxes were like this in america, sounds better!
Sometimes we get solid dated boxes of new coins, but typically machine wrapped rolls are mixed circulated rolls.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
When a box is sealed it is not necessarily strait from the mint. If the box has the unique Royal Canadian Mint packing tape then yes the coins are all brand new but as Canadian hunter already mentioned most boxes are just an assortment of customer rolls put into a box. Sometimes the bank will seal these boxes themselves just for storage or because they are going to ship them off. Also when ordering boxes I usually get an assortment of boxes labeled from different banks. When banks have too many pennies they seal up the box, stamp it with there info and ship it off to Brinks. Then when I order boxes Brinks sends what ever boxes it has accumulated to my pick up source. So if a box is strait from the mint it will have a different seal compared to a sealed box of mixed rolls.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it possible to post pictures of the vareity of wrappers next time you post pictures?
That is of course if you can do it without troubles. If not, no big deal, but would be interesting to see in my opinion.

capitalfun8

Dec 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
is it possible to post pictures of the variety of wrappers next time you post pictures?
That is of course if you can do it without troubles. If not, no big deal, but would be interesting to see in my opinion.

I would also be interested to see how it is in Canada. This is definitely a interesting post to read.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here are some pics of my wide variety of finds as well I have included some pictures of the various types of rolls I come across. IMG009.jpg IMG010.jpg IMG011.jpg IMG008.jpg IMG012.jpg IMG013.jpg IMG014.jpg IMG015.jpg

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
And here are some more pictures. Please note that the pictures don't do justice for the higher grade coins pictured. IMG016.jpg IMG017.jpg IMG018.jpg IMG019.jpg IMG020.jpg IMG021.jpg IMG022.jpg IMG023.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread