Please help me identify this!

Hazykitten0

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2024
I'm not sure what I found. Definitely not a fossil after further examination. It is solid, non-magnetic and the bedrock formed around it. It is not bonded to it. It sets the metal detector off! The bedrock around it is a larger piece but weighs a 10th of what the ball does. Any opinions of thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240502_153102.jpg
    20240502_153102.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20240502_115635.jpg
    20240502_115635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 20240502_115610.jpg
    20240502_115610.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Upvote 8
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks almost spherical. Get the weight and approximate the diameter ( put a box on opposing sides in parallel and measure between them) , or tape measure the circumference then it is easy to calculate a specific gravity estimate.

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what I found. Definitely not a fossil after further examination. It is solid, non-magnetic and the bedrock formed around it. It is not bonded to it. It sets the metal detector off! The bedrock around it is a larger piece but weighs a 10th of what the ball does. Any opinions of thoughts are greatly appreciated.
It kind of looks like it might be a geode of some sort… It's hard to say with the pictures and it could just be a ”hot rock” that’s causing the detector to go off. I personally would have to crack it, chisel it or saw it open…most especially if I thought it was a geode. The circular item is more dense than the other stone?!? Yep, I would have to open it!
Good luck with an ID!👍🏼

OP
OP
H

Hazykitten0

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2024
It kind of looks like it might be a geode of some sort… It's hard to say with the pictures and it could just be a ”hot rock” that’s causing the detector to go off. I personally would have to crack it, chisel it or saw it open…most especially if I thought it was a geode. The circular item is more dense than the other stone?!? Yep, I would have to open it!
Good luck with an ID!👍🏼
Thank you for the response. I'm gonna get a wet saw tomorrow and see what it hold!

OP
OP
H

Hazykitten0

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2024
Looks almost spherical. Get the weight and approximate the diameter ( put a box on opposing sides in parallel and measure between them) , or tape measure the circumference then it is easy to calculate a specific gravity estimate.
Thank you for the response. It is 4 1/2 in wide when boxed. It is a sphere. When not sitting in the piece of bedrock that formed around it.

Attachments

• 20240502_153102.jpg
    20240502_153102.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
OP
OP
H

Hazykitten0

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2024
Good luck with an ID!👍🏼
Yep!! Huge weight difference. Hoping for something great. A cool find for sure. Thankful I'm not the only one that would break into it.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread