Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all,
Met up with Detectorfreak today for another run in the fields surrounding old Fort Steilacoom. We started in the field that gave up the re-enactment buttons yesterday. I figured why not see what other buttons were dropped. I wasn't disappointed and ended up digging 4 more differant examples. Gonna make a display with the buttons from this field all by themselves. They will make great reference points. I ended up also pulling the whatsit from the same field as the buttons but considerably deeper than the more modern targets. It appears to be made of copper and is real fragile. Looks like a bust of a woman on a harp. I used the wheat as a size reference. This was below the rock layer that seems to keep most targets within 4 inches of the surface of this particular field. Any info would be a big help. After workin the first field I moved into the treeline and started pulling shotgun brass marked 1901 12 gauge. This area holds a lot more trash than the field and is loaded with charcoal at 5 inches deep. After workin the trees for a bit, I finally managed the first 3 ringer of the day. Since I was out of smokes and it was lunch time we called a break. When we returned we hit the slope above the field and didn't find much at all. Last but not least we ended the day in the field that was used for a firing range. 3 ringers are getting harder to hit in this field but I still managed 2 more to end the hunt. Got to sort out my trash pouch for all the small pewter buttons I dug and a small spill of percussion caps, and to see what I might have missed. So all in all a great day. Next hunt will be the hillside overlooking the fields, so one of our fellow T-Netters will stop losing sleep over it. ;D . Luck in the hunt

:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Attachments

• RSCN0125.JPG
    RSCN0125.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 345
  • RSCN0126.JPG
    RSCN0126.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 344
  • RSCN0135.JPG
    RSCN0135.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 357
  • RSCN0133.JPG
    RSCN0133.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 348
  • RSCN0136.JPG
    RSCN0136.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Montana Jim said:
It's a reenactment piece (maybe original?)... an Irish Brigade Harp Insignia
Hard to tell when it was made with no identifying marks. From this particular field I would move more toward reenactment. Although the fort was full of Irish and German immigrants. Neat piece all the same. Thanks for the info.
JuJu

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Well at least you know that the 3 ringers isn't reenactment pieces.
But however them buttons would make a nice display.
I have MD a battlefield that has had reenactments and we find that the new percussion caps make
my metal detector go crazy.
Congrats on a very good hunt.I hope that your what is it,turns out to be CW era. :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the finds nate! I'm going to clean my cow tag up to see if theres any numbers on it. Can't wait for the hunt next week! :)

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
funny that you get the same buttons from the re enactment as the original soldiers lost theres?

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Fantastic digs there juju. Like the three ringer and harp pin or slide. You are really cleaning up on this site....WTG

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 260
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 260

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
You sure are finding some cool stuff down there. I might have to make a trip down and try my luck with you guys some time.

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JU JU, Great finds, like Tom said we will have to hook up, I still need to call ya been busy still moving in....

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Those are some very interesting finds there. One would have to think that there is a lot of neat stuff there just waiting to be pulled out! Nice post.

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the great comments. I should be out there again Sunday, and would love the company if anyone wants to join.
JuJu

NUKE345KV

Apr 1, 2009
NW OHIO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Vibraprobe 580
nice finds to bad those are reenactment buttons but they are still nice to look at Happy Huntin

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, if only that staff officer's button wasn't a reenactment button....Cool either way. Kindof makes you see how easy it was for the real soldiers to loose their buttons too I guess. Keep it up!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JuJu said:
Thanks everyone for the great comments. I should be out there again Sunday, and would love the company if anyone wants to join.
JuJu

I'm going to try to make it out your way again before the end of May. Maybe we can meet up. Thanks for the offerings :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread