More rings from the water this morning including a WHOPPER!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The tide was very favorable this morning and was running about 0.5 ft below normal which is unusual. My friend Reid and I couldn't pass up on that opportunity and were in the water by 6:00, just before the sun came up. I spent most of my time hunting areas that are normally too deep to access, but as I've discovered before, the finds in the outer reaches are usually few and far between. But I was able to recover a silver ring and a few coins while hunting in armpit deep water, and believe me they weren't easy recoveries. A bit later while hunting in another area that was totally devoid of signals, I was awakened by a strong overload signal. But my experience with my CZ-21 has taught me to dig all big hits as a couple times earlier this summer I've found a big ring or chain in my scoop when I thought it might just be a soda can. And it happened again - a huge and very heavy ring found its way into my scoop, and I was hoping it would be my largest gold ring ever. The inside was full of inscriptions including the husband and wife's first names, their wedding date, and unfortunately the manufacturer's name - Jim Tungsten. So much for gold (although it is 14kt plated), but it was still a great find in my book. The honker ring weighs in at 17.68 grams, which is more than 4 times the weight of a typical men's wedding band as shown below. It's also 25mm in diameter and 9mm wide. I found an almost identical one online that retails for $349 so that's not too shabby. Also found a 2nd silver ring with a row of stones along with a sterling earring. Other finds included 2 one dollar coins dug right next to each other- a Sacagawea, and an Andrew Jackson from the presidential series. The working Timex sports watch was a nice recovery too, and I plan to use that whenever hitting the water. Hope to get out to some different sites later this week.

Attachments

• 080515a.jpg
    080515a.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 080515b.jpg
    080515b.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 080515c.jpg
    080515c.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 080515d.jpg
    080515d.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 080515e.jpg
    080515e.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 080515f.jpg
    080515f.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 188
  • 080515g.JPG
    080515g.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Upvote 24

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Danggit Bill. I was hoping you were talking about a Burger King Whopper!

With cheese.

Nice finds bud.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill it looks like you are having your best beach season yet.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another heart stopping whopper! Nice Looking rings! Congrats!
Did you test the stones in the silver ring? I found a silver ring that had actual small diamonds in it. Check them out.

You must be part fish to hunt in arm pit deep water! Nice cool water sounds great right about this time of year.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wow Bill, what a water year. That pile of rings is going to be impressive. Good luck the rest of the week.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another heart stopping whopper! Nice Looking rings! Congrats!
Did you test the stones in the silver ring? I found a silver ring that had actual small diamonds in it. Check them out.

You must be part fish to hunt in arm pit deep water! Nice cool water sounds great right about this time of year.

Its more like bathwater out there with water temps in the low-to-mid 80s, and the jellyfish are everywhere. Having to cover my legs now, and was lucky I didn't get stung on my arms today.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danggit Bill. I was hoping you were talking about a Burger King Whopper!

With cheese.

Nice finds bud.

Thanks a lot ... now im going to have to make a roadtrip to burger king . Lol I have a whopper craving now:laughing7:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grrat that the tides were in your favor. I never water hunted, I can imagine it must be real hard to recover a target when the water is up to your armpits.
That ring must of been a heart stopper.
Nice to see you getting out.
George

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bill. I bet that ring made you smile when you first saw it. that thing is HUGE. Best of luck to you!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer it wasn't gold but it's still a great find. With the price of gold so high more people are buying those tungsten wedding bands. I lost two gold bands and a tungsten band.....it's a shame women don't lose theirs just as often!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congrats. I actually love getting those "belltone" or overload readings too. More times than not I end up with a large ring or surface coins in my scoop. I hunt using increased sensitivity on my CZ21 and if the target is not buried or basically laying on the bottom I often get an overload tone.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Bill did that whopper of a ring dent the inside of your scoop banging around inside of it.? Great find.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Congrats!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on that slammer of a ring!, not too long before you're back out in the fields, but finds like these will do!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Smokes! Those rings were probably used by Vino's cousins to weigh a body down! Those are a couple of big ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread