OP
F

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi,
south eastern Connecticut. Unfortunately we rarely see the flints and jaspers that the rest of the country has. Here we consider those exotics.
So yes, most of our atifacts are quartz, quartzite, some argillite, ryolite and occassionally yellow, brown, red jasper from Penn. and some New York flints.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not far away, on Narragansett Bay. Those are great points, really like the bifurcate.

OP
OP
F

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, I have several from surface hunts but this is the first one I've ever found digging, in one of the other photos there's a small black flint bifurcate base that would have been gorgeous

Krisrock

Feb 9, 2011
Land of Good Water
Hey FlintMel. Nice Frame ! The Center piece is a dead ringer for Classic Montell from Central Texas. Amazing the similarity, or maybe someone carried it there from here :dontknow: I take it that is not a standard type for your region ? Nice Posts ! Kris

OP
OP
F

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Up this way I believe they're referred to as a bifurcate, an early archic type, guessing approx. 8,500 BP?

Krisrock

Feb 9, 2011
Land of Good Water
They are called Stemmed Bifurcated forms here as well, but the one in frame looks like a Montell
from between 3000 and 1000 years ago here. Your Triangles in another post closely resemble our
Early triangles, Matamoros and Tortugas. Some points have brothers everywhere. Your
bifurcated could be a Tautan river or Kanawha, not sure about East coast points I'm fairly new to
the hobby. Very nice frames. Kris

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifacts Mel! I guess you started digging in your surface find area. Thanks for the pics/posts!

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Kais!! i agree it looks like a montell, but look at a [taunton river bifurcate] north eastern top [5] states and tell me how they compare to each other. FlintII i forgot to say that the [montell] is a bifurcated point too. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread